Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl XLVIII Thread (Post Mortem )

Mr. Sinister

The Broncos are now the most losing team in NFL superbowl history with 5 losses by a combined score of 206 – 58.

Is it better to make it and lose or to have never made it at all? 7 SB's is still pretty good even if you do throw snake eyes more often than not. 

Russell Wilson is on the cusp of being a great QB.They have no top WR talent. Those guys are undrafted players and late round picks, and yet you wont give him credit.Seattle's defense has to be among the best ever. You arent supposed to be that dominant against a dominant offense in today's NFL, and they did it easily.only when people refuse to look at a situation objectively will you find posts that dismiss 3rd down conversions.

While I agree Wilson is a talent, I don't agree with your assessment of the players around him. Kearse was an animal at Washington with Locker, Tate is damn good, Harvin is great, Sidney Rice and Baldwin are better than anything we have outside of Garçon and Miller is a stud TE. He hasn't exactly been surrounded by crap, not to mention he has what I consider the best RB in football behind him.

Is it better to make it and lose or to have never made it at all? 7 SB's is still pretty good even if you do throw snake eyes more often than not. 

To lose is one thing but to be totally annihilated in 5 Super Bowls is another.

Lost Super Bowl XII (Cowboys) 27–10

Lost Super Bowl XXI (Giants) 39–20

Lost Super Bowl XXII (Redskins) 42–10

Lost Super Bowl XXIV (49ers) 55–10

Lost Super Bowl XLVIII (Seahawks) 43-8

While I agree Wilson is a talent, I don't agree with your assessment of the players around him. Kearse was an animal at Washington with Locker, Tate is damn good, Harvin is great, Sidney Rice and Baldwin are better than anything we have outside of Garçon and Miller is a stud TE. He hasn't exactly been surrounded by crap, not to mention he has what I consider the best RB in football behind him.

Kearse and Baldwin went undrafted.

Harvin played 3 games this year, yesterday was the first time he completed a game.

Sidney Rice only caught 15 passes this season and will probably be released.

Golden Tate is really a good #2, but that is it.

Zach Miller is not a stud Tight End. That only goes to perennial pro bowl types. If you look at his numbers in Seattle versus his contract, he has under-performed.

What Seattle does have is a great OLine, but that receiving core is not that good. Not that good at all on a talent perspective. But what has Seattle done better than the Skins? Develop the talent they have. The Redskins have not been able to develop talent or find diamond in the rough types for damn near 20 years.

What Seattle does have is a great OLine

Not even a great OL. They played without both their starting OTs for most of the season and had to constantly shuffle the OL.

Russell spent so much time scramble because of neccesity.

They got better during the post season as the starters gelled.

Football Outsiders and ProFootball Focus don't rate their OL very well.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Peyton this offseason. His magic could disappear overnight. We all know guys fall off a cliff at some point or another. It happened to Favre. It happened to Tomlinson. 

It just goes, and it never comes back. This is the era of strong armed mobile QB's. Manning is almost a statue, and his arm strength is greatly diminished compared to what it used to be. How much does he have left? I know it sounds crazy considering that he just put together the greatest season in history for QB's, but look back at LT. One year he scores TD's like crazy (No one is ever breaking that record... Ever) then two years later, he's pretty much finished. I think it's a legit topic for discussion.

I think the way I've been explaining my thoughts on Wilson have been going about it the wrong way, and giving off the impression that I think he is a scrub.

So let me try it differently.  In the old era of the NFL, most Superbowl winning teams were anchored by a top QB. Even when the teams might have been ranked high in other ways, when it came time for the playoffs it seemed like most teams that went all the way eventually had to do it on the back of their QB, hence why even winning a single championship back then was so huge. It never felt like something anyone but the elite QB's could get done.  Even some of the elite QB's couldn't get it done for many reasons.

The Seahawks are a team constructed in a way that the QB doesn't have to be the one to beat you.  Does that mean Wilson can never make great plays or can't throw the ball? Nope. Quite the opposite, he is smart with the ball and often makes good plays outside of the pocket.  But in the bigger picture, Seattle is a team that is built so that probably 90% of the NFL's starting QB's could have won a title under center. A team like this has a shorter window than most because of how many other players and aspects of the team it is relying on.   By half time of the Superbowl, Wilson was something like 8/13 for 90 yards, yet the Seahawks were up 22-0.  That isn't a recipe that is going to get it done for most teams, but Seattle is built specifically for this kind of football.  Will they still be in a couple seasons when the contracts come up? We'll see......

Also....this from Sherman re: Broncos offense/Manning in Super Bowl

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/03/richard-sherman-super-bowl-48-seattle-seahawks/

I was thinking the same thing as Sherman as the game went along. Well not in such a smart football IQ kind of way, but it definitely looked like The Broncos went into the game with a"we will just run our offense the way we do every other week cause it works" attitude.  Once Seattle was stopping it, Denver made no adjustments. It's as if they weren't prepared at all for the chance that Seattle's D might have game-planned that offense well. I am shocked that the Broncos didn't study more carefully the teams/games where offenses were effectively moving the ball on that defense and tried to incorporate more of that offense into their plan.  No matter how much Seattle kept scoring, the Broncos kept going with that short dink and dunk passing attack that works against lesser defenses that are caught out of position.

modify_inline.gif

The 49ers (and maybe the Panthers) are the only other teams right now in the NFL that can physically go toe to toe with the Seahawks.  Hell, if the 49ers had better QB play in the NFC Championship, they probably win that game.

Or instead of complicated back-pedalling/rationalization you could just admit that Wilson is more then a game-manager.

I think the way I've been explaining my thoughts on Wilson have been going about it the wrong way, and giving off the impression that I think he is a scrub.......... But in the bigger picture, Seattle is a team that is built so that probably 90% of the NFL's starting QB's could have won a title under center....

lmao

The NFC is going to be a slugfest yet again next year. They'll be tested I think, just in the NFC West alone.

Very true.  All the defenses in the NFCW are very good, and there are certainly others in the NFC as well, and nothing is going to come easy.  As much as I would love to think "dynasty", we can't even be sure we're going to make it back to the playoffs next season (although I think our chances are as good as anyone else's in the NFC).

Very true. All the defenses in the NFCW are very good, and there are certainly others in the NFC as well, and nothing is going to come easy. As much as I would love to think "dynasty", we can't even be sure we're going to make it back to the playoffs next season (although I think our chances are as good as anyone else's in the NFC).

Congrats, bro. That was quite a performance.

Or instead of complicated back-pedalling/rationalization you could just admit that Wilson is more then a game-manager.

lmao

that is one of the most incredible posts ive ever seen, lol. 90% of the NFL's starting QBs could have won the Super Bowl with Seattle, but he isnt disrespecting Russell Wilson. What a joke.

Yeah because in 1995 we could all see that 20 years later Pete "adderall" Carroll would be a SB winner. He was such a hot commodity in the NFL during that time. Revisionist history...

Neverminding the "adderall" bit, Pete Carroll was not the same coach then.  It wasn't until after he was fired by the Patriots that he took some time, did some soul searching, and developed his philosophy that he used at USC and in Seattle. 

So yes, knocking the Jets for letting Pete Carroll go and hiring Rich Kottite, while it isn't revisionist history per se, certainly is judging past actions on things that could not have been known at the time, which IMO is almost as bad.

Archived