Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl XLVIII Thread (Post Mortem )

Mr. Sinister

Game sucked, commercials sucked, halftime show sucked.

The trifecta of suckage.

The Broncos are now the most losing team in NFL superbowl history with 5 losses by a combined score of 206 – 58.

Combined average score 41 – 11. (including the 42 – 10 Redskins win J)

If you add the 2 SB wins it is 249 – 123.

Even with the 2 wins the combined average score is 35 – 17 for all 7 superbowls.

Oh, and **** Seattle!

Game sucked, commercials sucked, halftime show sucked.

The trifecta of suckage.

The Broncos are now the most losing team in NFL superbowl history with 5 losses by a combined score of 206 – 58.

Combined average score 41 – 11. (including the 42 – 10 Redskins win J)

If you add the 2 SB wins it is 249 – 123.

Even with the 2 wins the combined average score is 35 – 17 for all 7 superbowls.

Oh, and **** Seattle!

game sucked for fans of traditional pocket passing qb's.... yes it would be tough to watch the changing of the guard in the nfl.. with mobile/athletic playmakers that can rush for 400-600 yards and post 90-100 passer ratings

Russell Wilson is an Alex Smith game manager.

you know what, RG3 is an Alex Smith game manager.

So is Colin Kaepernick.

So is Andrew Luck.

So is Cam Newton.

people need to let this weird hate of RG3's peers go. Its bizarre.

Maybe it's because I'm not a football expert, but I never understood why "game manager" is a bad thing. Isn't that what a quarterback is supposed to do? Manage the offense and make sure they continue advancing the ball toward the goal line? Why is that a bad thing?

its not a bad thing at all, but comparing mediocre QBs to QBs who go out and make plays when needed is bizarre.

Thats the problem some are having in this thread. Every QB is a game manager. What separates a Tom Brady from an Alex Smith is that that Tom Brady can make plays to win games. Alex Smith cannot. Russell Wilson makes plays to win games while Trent Dilfer did not.

game sucked for fans of traditional pocket passing qb's.... yes it would be tough to watch the changing of the guard in the nfl.. with mobile/athletic playmakers that can rush for 400-600 yards and post 90-100 passer ratings

No it sucked for fans of hard fought close exciting football games. I don't care what style of QB play is involved. This game totally sucked after all the buildup and hype. John Elway won 2 SBs and Steve young also won a SB as mobile athletic QBs. Don't act like this inventing the lightbulb.

you know what, RG3 is an Alex Smith game manager.

So is Colin Kaepernick.

So is Andrew Luck.

So is Cam Newton.

people need to let this weird hate of RG3's peers go. Its bizarre.

its not a bad thing at all, but comparing mediocre QBs to QBs who go out and make plays when needed is bizarre.

Thats the problem some are having in this thread. Every QB is a game manager. What separates a Tom Brady from an Alex Smith is that that Tom Brady can make plays to win games. Alex Smith cannot. Russell Wilson makes plays to win games while Trent Dilfer did not.

those guys are playmakers

do you know that game-managers basically hand the ball off, and rarely get passing td's..... the 49ers and seahawks were top 10 scoring offenses... cam, wilson, and kaep put 4,000 yards of total offense... RG3 was on pace for a 4,000/500 yard season... AGAIN playmakers... not game-managers

No it sucked for fans of hard fought close exciting football games. I don't care what style of QB play is involved. This game totally sucked after all the buildup and hype. John Elway won 2 SBs and Steve young also won a SB as mobile athletic QBs. Don't act like this inventing the lightbulb.

most of the people saying the game sucked would be saying the opposite had the score been reversed... i just know it

most of the people saying the game sucked would be saying the opposite had the score been reversed... i just know it

Not this dude.  I truly feel lopsided SB scores nowadays show that one team's coaches were outcoached, and I truly believe it with the Broncos.

As to Wilson, the guy played well yesterday, but be honest, he was playing with house money in that he didn't HAVE to do much.  Credit Carroll & their GM with assembling/deploying a team & scheme that could resort to oldschool football in a period of time where that is rare. 

What I like about Wilson is he uses his feet only when he has to and when he gets out of the pocket, he's looking to pass not just run.  His most impressive throw (to me anway) was the roll to the left where he threw it perfectly to the receiver on the sideline while on a full sprint. 

And, TBH, what made me most mad about the SB..... I had "7" and "3" for square (same numbers all game).  A #@$)##& safety on the first play of the game?  WTH!

Where does this defense rank all-time?  That was as dominant a SB performance as the Ravens in 2000 and Chicago in 1985.

Considering the rules in 2014 versus the rules in 1985, this defense is more impressive. The Bears were allowed to commit assault on every play. This Seahawks teams shuts people down and hits like crazy in an era where a late hit comes with a prison term.

I also think the Ravens are a smidge over-rated. Here are the QBs they faced in their playoff run:

Gus Frerotte

Steve McNair

Rich Gannon

Kerry Collins

I mean, those guys are okay, but that's a list of QBs that you could definitely say, "If we stop X, they are in big trouble....."

do you know that game-managers basically hand the ball off, and rarely get passing td's..... the 49ers and seahawks were top 10 scoring offenses... cam, wilson, and kaep put 4,000 yards of total offense... RG3 was on pace for a 4,000/500 yard season... AGAIN playmakers... not game-managers

did you read my post or skim through it? We are making the same point. A QB's #1 job is to manage a game and not put his team in bad positions.

What separates Alex Smith from Russell Wilson is that Russell can make game winning plays while Alex Smith cannot. I said that in my post, buddy.

of course. Some in this thread are very mad, lol.

Considering the rules in 2014 versus the rules in 1985, this defense is more impressive. The Bears were allowed to commit assault on every play. This Seahawks teams shuts people down and hits like crazy in an era where a late hit comes with a prison term.

I also think the Ravens are a smidge over-rated. Here are the QBs they faced in their playoff run:

Gus Frerotte

Steve McNair

Rich Gannon

Kerry Collins

I mean, those guys are okay, but that's a list of QBs that you could definitely say, "If we stop X, they are in big trouble....."

cant agree with this at all.

Steve McNair had just taken Tennessee to the Super Bowl the year before. Rich Gannon and the Raiders were 6th in offense and got shut out. Also Rich Gannon was among NFL's best QBs during that period.

And they did it with an inadequate offense.

Seattle's defense ranks up there though.

Peyton is a pocket passer that chokes in big games.

Romo sits to pee is an athletic mobile QB that chokes in big games.

Aaron Rodgers is a mobile athletic QB that is also a great pocket passer.

This is mold from which I hope RG3 becomes.

How many designed runs did Russel Wilson have in the game yesterday?

Being mobile in and out of the pocket is far more effective than designed runs like Kaepernick/Vick/Newton and even going back to Randall Cunningham.

Although Newton made good strides this year they still ran him way too much IMO.

I loath the Shanahans for trying to make RG3 into this. Hopefully Gruden/McVay can develop RG3 closer to Rodgers style.

Peyton is a pocket passer that chokes in big games.

Romo sits to pee is an athletic mobile QB that chokes in big games.

Aaron Rodgers is a mobile athletic QB that is also a great pocket passer.

This is mold from which I hope RG3 becomes.

How many designed runs did Russel Wilson have in the game yesterday?

Being mobile in and out of the pocket is far more effective than designed runs like Kaepernick/Vick/Newton and even going back to Randall Cunningham.

Although Newton made good strides this year they still ran him way too much IMO.

I loath the Shanahans for trying to make RG3 into this. Hopefully Gruden/McVay can develop RG3 closer to Rodgers style.

Newton is nothing like Vick, neither is Kaep

most of their runs are scrambles

Shanny was running RG3 into fire with designed runs, i hated them.... especially near the goal line

game-managers are not ATHLETIC... and dont have 500 yards rushing... wilson like rg3, cam, and kaep are PLAYMAKERS... the fox crew alluded to that numerous times

peyton, brady brees, and mannings wont be in the nfl in 5 years.. playmakers are taking over... kaepernick started it last year, wilson finished it this year

Wilson played much better than Big Ben in his first superbowl, and is more athletic than Big Ben... both guys are not sneaky athletic athletic.... but wilson was running around and frustrating the broncos d, big ben just handed the ball off to bettis... marshawn didnt show up... wilson did

Alex Smith has some scrambling ability and can run for first downs.  He had 431 rushing yards.

I wonder if the people calling Russell Wilson a game manager consider Andrew Luck a game manager?

No.  Andrew Luck takes more chances throwing the football.  Sometimes the results are a mixed bag, but his arm is much more active than a typical game manager.

No.  Andrew Luck takes more chances throwing the football.  Sometimes the results are a mixed bag, but his arm is much more active than a typical game manager.

lol, let me get this straight.

Andrew Luck isn't a game manager because he takes more chances throwing the football, even though the results by your admission are a mixed bag?

I don't discuss or argue football based on empty rhetoric like your statement above.

Russell Wilson--63.6 comp%---- 6,475 pass yards-----52 TDs---19 INTs---8.09 YPA---65.8 QBR---100.6 PSR

Andrew Luck----57.0 comp%-----8,196 pass yards-----46 TDs----27 INTs--6.85 YPA---63.8 QBR----81.5 PSR

Russell Wilson---1,028 rushing yards--5.4 YPC---5 TD--61 first downs

Andrew Luck-------632 rushing yards--5.1 YPC---9 TD--46 first downs

You cannot consider Russell Wilson a game manager and Andrew Luck greater then a game manager without being a hypocrite.

There is nothing about Luck that points to him being more of a playmaker then Russell. Nothing.

Newton is nothing like Vick, neither is Kaep

most of their runs are scrambles

Shanny was running RG3 into fire with designed runs, i hated them.... especially near the goal line

One other difference is that Kaep and Wilson have learned the art of not taking hits where RG3 and Cam still need to work on that.

Once RG3 can do this then designed runs/read option for short yardage and in the redzone are ok sometimes but still should be held to a minimum.

I have a feeling some people speaking on whether or not Russell Wilson is a game manager haven't really watched him play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7II7HKusrg

I'm done though with this convo tho.

I'll leave with this. I believe as I always have that Griff is a superior talent to Wilson or any other QB in the league not named Cam or Kaep. But, Russell Wilson as a player is the type of QB I hope Griff becomes. I hope Griff uses Russell as a measuring stick. Watch how Russ deals with the media. I hope Griff can emulate/surpass these aspect of Russ's game that I feel are currently superior: become a better rhythm drop back passer, become more aware in the pocket, become better/more cautious as a runner; be more careful with the football, become a better improvisational QB.

lol, let me get this straight.

Andrew Luck isn't a game manager because he takes more chances throwing the football, even though the results by your admission are a mixed bag?

I don't discuss or argue football based on empty rhetoric like your statement above.

Russell Wilson--63.6 comp%---- 6,475 pass yards-----52 TDs---19 INTs---8.09 YPA---65.8 QBR---100.6 PSR

Andrew Luck----57.0 comp%-----8,196 pass yards-----46 TDs----27 INTs--6.85 YPA---63.8 QBR----81.5 PSR

Russell Wilson---1,028 rushing yards--5.4 YPC---5 TD--61 first downs

Andrew Luck-------632 rushing yards--5.1 YPC---9 TD--46 first downs

You cannot consider Russell Wilson a game manager and Andrew Luck greater then a game manager without being a hypocrite.

There is nothing about Luck that points to him being more of a playmaker then Russell. Nothing.

Doesn't matter what stats or facts we provide the "game manager" crowd. They have their minds made up. Doesn't matter that he has 10 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives in his first two years. He's just average.

Not this dude. I truly feel lopsided SB scores nowadays show that one team's coaches were outcoached, and I truly believe it with the Broncos.

As to Wilson, the guy played well yesterday, but be honest, he was playing with house money in that he didn't HAVE to do much. Credit Carroll & their GM with assembling/deploying a team & scheme that could resort to oldschool football in a period of time where that is rare.

What I like about Wilson is he uses his feet only when he has to and when he gets out of the pocket, he's looking to pass not just run. His most impressive throw (to me anway) was the roll to the left where he threw it perfectly to the receiver on the sideline while on a full sprint.

And, TBH, what made me most mad about the SB..... I had "7" and "3" for square (same numbers all game). A #@$)##& safety on the first play of the game? WTH!

Agreed on all points. Can't believe how badly Denver choked.. I think if they play 10 more times that Denver wins their share..

And I had 7 as well. I mean wtf, first play, really I was pissed off at that center like I was watching a redskins game.

On a side note, a Houston furniture company gave away $7 million as part of a promo that was betting on Denver to win.

Russell Wilson was a game manager LAST NIGHT.  There is no debating that.  He had the benefit of having a nice cushion for the majority of the game, but he didn't have to do all that much outside of limiting mistakes.

That being said, the Seattle defense is by far the most dominant I've ever seen watching the sport.  This is an offensive league and they were out there flat out toying with the Broncos. 

Archived