Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl XLVIII Thread (Post Mortem )

Mr. Sinister

Seattle as a team played a hell of a game. It seemed like their starting field position was always either at mid-field or better.  It really helped Seattle stick to their dink n dunk game plan with Lynch and short passes in the flat.  Wilson made some nice throws on some slant routes.  No one is taking away anything from his play. He did fine, but there was also never a point in the game where he was in the position of needing to go out and throw the ball around in order for the team to get points.  Whether it was Denver mis-tackling or Denver turning the ball over, Seattle's offense was usually in pretty favorable positions.

Again, until Seattle starts losing players to free agency and that defense goes from one of the best ever to just good/very good, Wilson is fine being the kind of QB he is.  Once he is having to take the team on 80 yard drives in the 4th quarter or having to go out and throw for 300+ yards for the team to have a shot, we will see how much his game has grown.

Tonight epitomized why Montana is the greatest QB in the modern era.  Manning goes up vs. the #1 D and is lucky to get 8 points, Montana does it and puts up 55.  11 TDs 0 INTs in 4 Super Bowls and a rating of 128.  Manning is a top 5 QB ever but man, he is not a big game performer.  The 2006 AFC Championship will remain his shining achievement.

Wilson is a good QB. He didn't have to do much to win tonight, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good QB. In last year's playoffs he orchestrated double digit comebacks in two games straight, nearly winning the second(like 30 seconds away). Then last week down double digits, another rally. He doesn't put up gaudy stats, but he is a quality QB.

Kinda reminds me of the young Tom Brady debate. He didn't have to do much early in his career, because the team around him was so good, but eventually he did, and he ended up producing incredible #s. I think Wilson is(or at least will be)just as capable, but right now he doesn't have to.

You can't compare Wilson to RG3. Wilson is a much more polished passer and he doesn't look so frantic when things break down in the pocket. Now Wilson may not have RG3's pure physical talent/athletic ability but as a passer he is much more refined. However yes it is true he also has more help(mainly on D and ST). He also has better coaching.

Hate to say it, but Seattle just saved the NFL as we know it.

Could you imagine what would happen if Peyton drop 50 something points on the #1 defense in the league? Teams would basically give up on defense, and eventually the running game as well. Now the conversation is instead of being dominated by borderline arena league talk, teams are going to have to focus on how to build a strong defense and consistent running attack as well to at least be able to beat Seattle.

Highest scoring offense in history just got destroyed in the only game that really matters. And deep down inside, I do believe most people watching it enjoyed the physicallity of it, true football. I don't like Seattle, but GD that defense was fun to watch today, laying the wood over and over and over again.

Russell Wilson is an Alex Smith game manager.  That's all Seattle needs to win.  Just look at the last few regular season Seattle games.  Against the Giants, he threw for only 206 yards with 1 TD- 1 INT, with a fumble.  Yet Seattle wins 23-0.  The following game against the Cards, he threw for 108 yards, with 1 TD- 1 INT.  They lost that game.  The last game of the season, he throws for 175 yards, with 1 TD- 0 INTs.  Seattle wins 27-9.  He only had two games this season where he threw for over 300 yards.  In the postseason against the Saints, he threw for 103 yards with 0 TDs - 0 INTs.  Seattle wins 23-15.  Against the 49ers in the playoffs, he threw for 215 yards, 1 TD- 0 INTs.

The dude is a game manager.

Good post.  

It isn't normal for a QB to be able to have games like those yet the team he plays for wins 23-0 or 27-9.   That kind of thing makes the case for all-time great defense and very good special teams. 

I don't want to make direct comparisons, but wasn't the 'Skins avg starting field position their own 16 yard line this season?(On kickoffs, at least)  Those things make a difference when you have a young QB trying to learn and not screw up on a team that is built to win now.

Hate to say it, but Seattle just saved the NFL as we know it.

Could you imagine what would happen if Peyton drop 50 something points on the #1 defense in the league? Teams would basically give up on defense, and eventually the running game as well. Now the conversation is instead of being dominated by borderline arena league talk, teams are going to have to focus on how to build a strong defense and consistent running attack as well to at least be able to beat Seattle.

Highest scoring offense in history just got destroyed in the only game that really matters. And deep down inside, I do believe most people watching it enjoyed the physicallity of it, true football. I don't like Seattle, but GD that defense was fun to watch today, laying the wood over and over and over again.

Yeah, I agree.  The game started to feel dull after awhile, but after it was all over with, I'm glad it had the old school Super Bowl feel when a team just beat up the other team.  It didn't have that dramatic come back, momentum swing that happens every week in the NFL.  Normally when a blow out happens this day and age, it usually involves a good team vs a bad team.  In recent years, it's not very often we see a lop sided victory between two elite teams.

I do like a good defensive game, and I do like that style.  I just wish the NFL was more consistent on when they choose to let the players be physical, and more consistent about calling it down the middle during games.

Clarification, no complaints about the Super Bowl officiating itself, none at all.

However over the course of the 2013 season I do think that team's like Seattle and SF who get the rep of being hard-nosed physical defense, suddenly start getting favorable wiggle-room within the rule book as far as how physical they are allowed to get with players on offense where as their opponent is likely to get flagged for doing the same thing.

I think it was the Giants coordinator(?) who said that Seattle is basically playing a numbers game with the officials.  They know that in any given game only so many flags will be thrown unless it is something egregious so their plan of attack is to test the boundaries of what they can get away with on every play.  Do I blame THEM for that? NO, but I do blame officials for not calling as many flags as they need to if the rules are blatantly being abused, 

Maybe it's because I'm not a football expert, but I never understood why "game manager" is a bad thing. Isn't that what a quarterback is supposed to do? Manage the offense and make sure they continue advancing the ball toward the goal line? Why is that a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing.  It's just annoying when people put game managers on pedestals.

Maybe it's because I'm not a football expert, but I never understood why "game manager" is a bad thing. Isn't that what a quarterback is supposed to do? Manage the offense and make sure they continue advancing the ball toward the goal line? Why is that a bad thing?

It doesn't have to be a bad thing. There are only so many elite QBs to go around. If you don't have one of them, then you've got to choose from a few other kinds. You can get the Tony Romos and Eli Mannings who can make some big-time plays, but can also cost your team with some bone-headed plays. They're inconsistent but have the ability to play at a pretty high level when they're hot. Then there are QBs like Alex Smith who are Game Managers who are a bit more consistent taking what the D gives them. They aren't gonna make as many game-breaking plays one way or another.

If you've got a team with an amazing defense and some really good offensive weapons, a game manager can be just what the doctor ordered (assuming you can't get an elite QB, obviously) as he'll allow the rest of the team to do it's job without getting in the way too much. If you don't have that kind of talent outside of the QB, though, you're probably better off with one of those higher-risk higher-reward streaky QBs, because if he gets hot at the right time, he could put up great numbers when you're in the hunt for the Lombardi.

There are people, though, that are offended at the term Game Manager and take it as a slight against him because we don't put him up with the elites. I really harbor no ill will towards Wilson (Golden Tate, on the other hand...), I just think people are getting carried away with the praise. Reminds me of the hype surrounding Tebow. There were those of us who didn't think very highly of Tebow and believed the Bronco's defense to be doing most of the work, but people responded that "all he does is win". Here we are a couple seasons later, though, and he's out of the league (not saying Wilson will follow the same path, because he's actually competent as a Game Manager while Tebow was pretty much just a side-show).

he has a great arm and put the ball in some really tight windows.

The ball he threw on the sideline to Balwdin was spectacular. Its really people not knowing how to dismiss their RG3 love and objectively look at the other young QBs fairly.

You are 100% correct. I don't get the Wilson bashing. The guy is a terrific QB.

He isn't a game manager. All the fools calling him that must have been stuffing their faces with chicken wings when Aikman explained why he's more than that.

I can't remember a time a SB team crapped the bed as badly as the Broncos did last night.  They looked so underprepared and I think the only thing they practiced was stopping Lynch.  Seattle has an excellent defense, yes, but the OL for Denver was terrible, and the primary reason they got shellacked.  And, Percy Harvin looked like Carl Lewis running through a nursing home.

Told my wife that it's pretty sad when the halftime show is way better than the game, and I can't stand Mars' music!

Defense just seems to have a bigger impact than offense.  Not only can they simply shutdown the opposing offense but they can also cause turnovers and they can score.  How many times have we seen these record breaking offenses get shutdown in big games?  There were the 1998 Vikings, 2000 & 2001 Rams, 2007 Patriots and now the 2013 Broncos.  There was another teams but I'm not even going to mention that great franchise.

Ben Roethlisberger was a game manager at the same stage of his career that Russell Wilson is.  Big Ben seems to have turned out ok.   Their first two years are remarkably similar.  The only difference being Wilson was actually more prolific and didn't stink out the joint when he got to the Super Bowl the first time.    Who Wilson is now, isn't necessarily who he will be as he develops.  

Bottom line, you do what it takes to win.  If they're not asking you to throw it 40 times, then whatever they ask you to do, do it well.  That's exactly what Wilson does.  Kudos to him.  Stop worrying about what he didn't do.  

I cannot believe Denver punted on 4-11 at the Seattle 39 down 29 points at 10:54 in the 3rd quarter.  In the SUPER BOWL.  That was a completely gutless call.  That's the definition of quitting on your team.  How is that call even made?!? 

I thought it was weird that they ran it on 3rd down only to punt on 4th.  Down 29, I figured they called the draw knowing they were gonna go 4 downs there.  They got stuffed on 3rd and just said "screw it" and punted.  I didn't like that sequence at all.   

Russell Wilson is an Alex Smith game manager.  That's all Seattle needs to win.  Just look at the last few regular season Seattle games.  Against the Giants, he threw for only 206 yards with 1 TD- 1 INT, with a fumble.  Yet Seattle wins 23-0.  The following game against the Cards, he threw for 108 yards, with 1 TD- 1 INT.  They lost that game.  The last game of the season, he throws for 175 yards, with 1 TD- 0 INTs.  Seattle wins 27-9.  He only had two games this season where he threw for over 300 yards.  In the postseason against the Saints, he threw for 103 yards with 0 TDs - 0 INTs.  Seattle wins 23-15.  Against the 49ers in the playoffs, he threw for 215 yards, 1 TD- 0 INTs.

The dude is a game manager.

game-managers are not ATHLETIC... and dont have 500 yards rushing... wilson like rg3, cam, and kaep are PLAYMAKERS... the fox crew alluded to that numerous times

peyton, brady brees, and mannings wont be in the nfl in 5 years.. playmakers are taking over... kaepernick started it last year, wilson finished it this year

Ben Roethlisberger was a game manager at the same stage of his career that Russell Wilson is.  Big Ben seems to have turned out ok.   Their first two years are remarkably similar.  The only difference being Wilson was actually more prolific and didn't stink out the joint when he got to the Super Bowl the first time.    Who Wilson is now, isn't necessarily who he will be as he develops.  

Bottom line, you do what it takes to win.  If they're not asking you to throw it 40 times, then whatever they ask you to do, do it well.  That's exactly what Wilson does.  Kudos to him.  Stop worrying about what he didn't do.  

Wilson played much better than Big Ben in his first superbowl, and is more athletic than Big Ben... both guys are not sneaky athletic athletic.... but wilson was running around and frustrating the broncos d, big ben just handed the ball off to bettis... marshawn didnt show up... wilson did

Archived