Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Simple 'yes' Or 'no' Answer ..... Are You Confident With Cousins Leading This Team If He Ends Up Starting The Season?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'm confident that we can go at least 2-2 with Kirk.

All I expect from the back-up is to hold down the fort.

Anything more would be gravy.

Yes.

This is basically where I am too. I am not nearly as high on Kirk as otheres here are. I definitely think he can keep our heads above the water and even do pretty well for us in limited appearances but anything more than that is pretty optimistic and not really grounded in any reality we have witnessed yet outside of one game.

Yes. We have a solid running game to support him and I believe he'll make the right throws when he needs to. Will he lead us to the Super Bowl? I don't know about that, but I think we can expect a winning season from him (as long as our defense does their jobs, at least).

Yes.

I wouldn't have any qualms with cousins playing till the bye.

Rg3 is interesting, but im also interested to see what we have in cousins over a few game's stretch. I think he is going to be a good QB, but I question his ability to lead a team when the opposing team has a lead and our offense gets more limited and predictable. I expect him to struggle there (as I would for any young QB). Can he keep his cool there and find a way to dissect opposing defenses? Cant he make the quick reads necessary to beat the blitz. He has shown progress in that regard, but I don't think he's there yet, I'd like to see him get there.

Confident, but to what extent I'm not exactly certain. Our ceiling for success drops considerably without Robert's skills there to manipulate defenses, but we can still be competitive without him, especially if the defense has improved (to me, this is a far greater area of concern this season than Robert's knee, though it will receive 1% of the attention).

I'm confident he can come in for a game or two, or part of a game, and keep the offense moving reasonably well. If the defense has improved that should be sufficient. 

Am I confident he could lead us through an entire season?

No. Sorry. He's got a game-and-a-half under his belt, and as much as I like the guy he's not Robert Griffin III. There will be a lot of ups and downs with him, and four years into the Shanahan era I'd like to be past that.

Well the optimist in me says Yes we will be fine. Everyone talks like we have the best backup QB in the league. Thinking about him starting for a month and say he goes 3-1 and looks great how we could trade him for a 1st round pick next year to some AFC team would be bionic. The realist in me says I hope he doesn't have to start for any length of time. We are a fan base that likes to sink our teeth in a QB controversay and we don't need anything deviding the fanbase now. I do think we would be ok if he had to start

Yes.

He is a legitimate starting QB in the league, knows the offense, and is VERY effective running it. We probably wouldn't be as groundbreaking in our offensive philosophy, but we would still be in contention for the division.

I love you bro' but that's a heck of a lot to base a game and a half or so at this level on. 

A HECK of a lot. 

Hail. 

Until proven otherwise, yes I have a lot of confidence in Cousins.  Also, I hope Shanahan doesn't hesitate to go to him if RG3 isn't 100%.  I could care less about game #1 of the 2013 season.  I would prefer to see RG3 playing games for the Redskins in the 2020s.

I'll probably be in the minority but I'll go with no. Its not that I don't like him, always liked the pick and think he has plenty of promise but I saw things last year that, given extended time starting, I believe defensive coordinators would use to make his life difficult. Remember most people are basing their opinion off one game. He struggled early and the browns refusal to adjust to the bootleg, continuing to sell out on an ineffective running game for 3 quarters, helped him greatly. They literally looked shocked every time it was a boot instead of a run, good old browns, lol.

I said yes, but this post certainly has merit. I just wonder how much further along is Kirk though, he has a full camp under his belt as a starter of sorts. He certainly has been getting good reports and it would be natural for him to feel more at ease in the offense. I still believe that he would be fine for the first four games getting the team to 3-1 or 2-2. The Skins have too many additional weapons now and the only failing would be improper game adjustments. You have Helu and Davis added to the mix, and that can help a QB big time. 

With Cousins, we are at best a 6-10 or 7-9 team.  

That's assuming he got worse versus last year. He came in against the Ravens in a tough spot and lead the team to a win. That showed me something I didn't expect, he has the calmness and mental wherewithal to be competitive.

I don't like to focus on the best games of a player alone, i like to look at their worst as well. Its a nice balance that keeps things in check. We all know Cousins at his best last year. When was he at his worst. Was that an anomaly, or should that be factored in. 

It's very much about how he was used. 

The game log shows Atlanta, Baltimore Cleveland and Seattle. 

Atlanta first game as a rookie, I tend to throw away the good and bad.  Baltimore 2 for 2 increased his trade value  ;)

I hated the play calls to start the Cleveland game. i also didn't like the play calling vs Seattle. He may be a great pocket passer, but our line sucks in pass pro. Garcon was injured and our WRs got no respect. We needed to move him around like we did in Cleveland later on, buy our WR's time. Did he even get a bootleg called  vs Seattle? 

Many will discount a poor performance in emergency relief to a lack of practice reps, or a difficult situation (Seattle). Myself included. But if they do well, its never, "the defense didn't game plan for him". Its more likely, we have 2 franchise QB's!  

When we try to make Cousins a pocket passer behind our porous pass pro, he will struggle. Like any QB would. Maybe we are testing him in that regard. We must move past those "tests" he gets to get a confident YES from me. 

yes... KIRK is :)

This is a silly question.  It's been well documented that RG3 kept saying he was okay.  Frankly, after he "gutted it out" during that four game stretch, I think Shanny really thought he would get it going. 

Do'h, I can't believe I typed Kurt, it was early for me ;)

I hated the play calls to start the Cleveland game. i also didn't like the play calling vs Seattle. He may be a great pocket passer, but our line sucks in pass pro. Garcon was injured and our WRs got no respect. We needed to move him around like we did in Cleveland later on, buy our WR's time. Did he even get a bootleg called  vs Seattle?

Well, we couldn't call bootlegs against Seattle. We were down by ten with a few minutes to go. In that situation no one is going to bite on play-action, especially a defense like Seattle's. What we saw that day was how our line would be able to protect a QB with not-elite mobility in an obvious passing situation, and it wasn't good. Against Cleveland and Seattle what I think we saw was that with Cousins back there we need to be real creative on offense. Straight-up our offense just won't beat anyone. And I think being creative and sneaking up on teams will wear out ofter a few games.

Make no mistake, what makes this offense go is Griffin. Without him this offense will move in fits and starts. In my opinion.

I'll get back to you after Monday's preseason game.  As of today my answer is YES.  Kirk has played well - he has shown good decision making and passing accuracy.  While not a rookie, he is also not very experienced.

If this question is about contemplating letting Robert rest for another month (wait until after the bye) then let's see how he does in the rest of the preseason.  If he continues making good decisions then Shanny might feel comfortable with giving Robert more time and feel confident in Kirk.  If that choice is something Shanny is really contemplating he also might ask himself all sorts of what-if questions -

I told Robert that unless there was a setback he would start; so how would he react if I went back on my word?

what if Kirk does well and we are winning will there be a real QB controversy and would Robert be very upset?

what if Kirk does poorly and we loose that opener how would the press react, how would Robert react?

I think Shanny will start Robert in the opener regardless of how well Kirk plays in preseason because he said he would.

Yes.

And I am probably part of a very very small percentage that thinks this may be the best course of action long term for the franchise to have Griffin sit until October.

Pure speculation of course, but the schedule is set up to where they could start 3-1 with Griffin (assuming a loss on the road at GB for example). I think Cousins could get them to the bye at 2-2, so how does 1 potential win compare to an additional 5 weeks of rehab and recovery?

In addition, if Cousins were to look very good in this 4 week stretch, it could send his trade value through the roof.

I think worst case would be Cousins starts 0-2 let's say, and then they have to bring Griffin back in week 3 to stop the bleeding.

Archived