Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Simple 'yes' Or 'no' Answer ..... Are You Confident With Cousins Leading This Team If He Ends Up Starting The Season?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I said earlier that I trust him if the O-line can protect him. After seeing tonights game and our response to the vanilla pre-season Defense the steelers showed us... No I do not trust that he can stay alive behind that O line and I fear for Griff's safety and any other QB who has to stand behind that O-line in the pocket and make his reads.

10 will be fine. He makes a poor line instantly better with his game. Ala last season with the front 5, D's have to account for the threat of his legs.

Anyone else out there is when the problems start to mount. 

Hail. 

Yeah. That would of been moi.  :)

And I stand by that on Brandon. But that's for another thread.

Hail. 

I know it was you, that's why I said it  :P

My point is if you can say that about a guy the day we draft him, others can say it too, and when it's said about a player with actual NFL game film it's a step up from the BJ scenario credibility wise.

RG3 is a once in a generation talent who has had everything geared around him, and rightly so.  Cousins is a 4th round QB who has had the left over scraps (until injury to Robert) and in doing so won the back up QB spot his first year.  Our FO were confident in him and he repayed that.  Why would they be less confident now, and why would we?

I'll ask again - what more should he have done at this point? and I'll also ask who these other back up QBs that are around the league that you'd take instead (actual names).

To read some of the posts in this thread it would appear you can't win a SB without a superman QB.  The Ravens and the Giants say hi :)

I'll happily step up in place of chucky and offer a sig bet we get at least the value of a 1st round pick when we trade Kirk though  :o

I'll ask again - what more should he have done at this point? and I'll also ask who these other back up QBs that are around the league that you'd take instead (actual names).

I don't see anyone questioning 'what more' he could of done to date than what he's been asked from the limited situations he's found himself in. The point was on his inexperience and natural flaws as a rookie (I know he's in his sophomore year. But he's still a novice at this level) and the effect and drop off that has on this O and team as a whole. Which is of great curiosity to me personally given the amount of folks claiming already he's a starting calibre QB in this league. 

Similarly when it comes to comparing back-up QB's in the league. It's not a question of who's better than him per se. The back-up QB pickings are REAL slim league wide, and outside of a few vets. (Dallas, Indy. The Vikes. But even then it's a wash) you wouldn't be upgrading on Kurt given his age and potential. But the fact that you probably wouldn't switch him out with any other isn't to say we're in a great position right here, right now for him to go lead this team over a period as again, the overall back-up QB situation league wide is pretty darn poor. 

I'll happily step up in place of chucky and offer a sig bet we get at least the value of a 1st round pick when we trade Kirk though  :o

I will snap your hands off at that so long as I get to keep my purty Unicorn Fred if you somehow got lucky. 

How anyone can seriously think a team would offer up a first rounder right here, right now like Gruden suggested is utterly beyond me and a real flight of fancy on Kurts sample size.

Stick to the booth Chucky. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Kirk darn it. It's catching lol. 

I

How anyone can seriously think a team would offer up a first rounder right here, right now like Gruden suggested is utterly beyond me and a real flight of fancy on Kurts sample size.

Stick to the booth Chucky. 

Hail. 

Probably because it has happened so often in the past.  Actually, in terms of trade the small sample size benefits us.  The more front offices can project, imagine, and dream the better.

Cousins gets injured.

Eventually will there be more to the discussion than, "he needs to learn to slide"? 

Its a passing league more than ever. While the read option has injecting running back into the game some, teams still need to pass to win, and passing requires basic protections for the QB. I don't see ours getting that. 

Few OL's are perfect and ours year after year struggles in what I consider the basics, drop back pass pro. 

I wonder if there are "flushed from the pocket stats", including completion percentages, injury rates etc. 

Mike and Kyle may need to look at why they think they have to teach guys to slide. 

Cousins gets injured.

Eventually will there be more to the discussion than, "he needs to learn to slide"? 

Its a passing league more than ever. While the read option has injecting running back into the game some, teams still need to pass to win, and passing requires basic protections for the QB. I don't see ours getting that. 

Few OL's are perfect and ours year after year struggles in what I consider the basics, drop back pass pro. 

I wonder if there are "flushed from the pocket stats", including completion percentages, injury rates etc. 

Mike and Kyle may need to look at why they think they have to teach guys to slide. 

I don't think it's on Mike and Kyle. The play before, Cousins slide right before he was hit, which was picture perfect. On the play he got injured, it looked like he thought he would be able to make it out of bounds and the guy dove at his feet and got him. I don't think anyone is to blame for that one.

I don't want to see Interceptus Rexus ANYWHERE near this team when it matters.

But I'm no less or more confident with any of our guys outside of 10.

Hail.

Right.

I think Cousins would probably be more conservative (less risk/less reward) while Grossman would probably have more impact plays (in both directions).

He's not being traded now, Chucky would be trying to get him now for a 1st rounder to get him cheap (QB is the most expensive position in football, I would think examples of 'value' trades would be harder to find than 'over paying').

He's a playable back up QB, who is counting almost nothing against the cap.  We should need to be shocked, in a good way, in order to get us to trade away that before we have to.  When the time comes I'm confident the same guy that swapped Portis for Bailey and good draft pick will make sure we get recompensed appropriately. 

I was going to make a thread about this but decided to just raise the point in here and maybe it came up somewhere in the 5 pages already.

The O-line pass blocking with Kirk Cousins under center opposed to RGIII.

If you remember going into 2012, the O-line was thought to be a weakness on this team. RGIII's mobility and threat as a runner changed that and took a lot of pressure off the O-line.  Teams were not able to be overly aggressive in fear of giving up huge plays.

With Kirk back there, blitzing will be dialed up, the house will be brought.  Can this same O-line handle that?  If not, then Kirk is going to have a lot of trouble back there regardless of how good he may, or may not be at this point in time.

I was going to make a thread about this but decided to just raise the point in here and maybe it came up somewhere in the 5 pages already.

The O-line pass blocking with Kirk Cousins under center opposed to RGIII.

If you remember going into 2012, the O-line was thought to be a weakness on this team. RGIII's mobility and threat as a runner changed that and took a lot of pressure off the O-line.  Teams were not able to be overly aggressive in fear of giving up huge plays.

With Kirk back there, blitzing will be dialed up, the house will be brought.  Can this same O-line handle that?  If not, then Kirk is going to have a lot of trouble back there regardless of how good he may, or may not be at this point in time.

We can't pass protect for either, Griffin is made to look bad in 3rd downs too 'cos we can't provide a pocket.  Griffin was using misdirection with play action and running himself out of the pistol to compensate.  With Cousins we use the bootleg.

Bottom line we need a RT.

I am convinced no team is complete.

Coaches must always make adjustments to cover for or minimize their weakest link for they will get exposed.

I am curious as to why the Shanahans rarely closer to never, roll out the pocket. 

I would think with the mobility of our lineman, it would be able a staple play in our offense.

Then again, i am still waiting for hurry up. 

The Shanahans get things done offensively and I admit that, but when RT gets blown up in drop back pass pro year after year, I am surprised it is not being addressed one way or another. 

I think Kirk is one of those QBs who needs reps to get going. I have yet to see him come out on the first drive and do well... it usually takes him at least one or two drives to start being effective. That tells me a couple things:

1) His game is more cerebral than anything else and he needs adjustments to be made before being confident in the game plan.

2) He is actually an effective QB, just needs to mature a bit to the point where he doesn't need to get a feel for the game at all and can go in there from the start and play effectively.

So, yeah, I'm very confident in Kirk playing QB for us but not for the first few drives. I feel like I know he'll get it together but I'm always worried he's going to screw up bad at first. He doesn't hesitate to throw into coverage like Rex, but the difference is he usually throws a harder ball to intercept than Rex does and it's usually not a deep lob like Rex's INTs. 

Archived