Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take Out Tip Etiquette

shuler74

I don't tip on take out and I never will. A few bucks now is 20% in a few years. No. I don't want to live in a world where there is a massive surcharge added for the most minimal of services so that employers can get away with paying their employees less. I'm still annoyed that bad service staff expect 20% but I understand that its now structured into their pay.

It really depends on the situation. When I get curbside takeout occasionally from the Outback near me I will give them a tip because they're not just cashiers; they're running around (especially when it's very busy) trying to get everyone's order right and out to them in a timely manner and generally do a very good job of it. They also sometimes bring out little smoothies to people in the cars when the line is long which is a nice touch (though I complained that mine didn't have any liquor in it last time...no tip for her    :D ).

don't tip on takeout, unless it's a really big or expensive order.  I order a couple dishes and spend my time to go pick it up, no tip.  If I drunkenly called in an order for 10+ people and knowing we were probably really annoying on the phone, I'll probably tip something.  Also, if it is at a more upscale type restaurant (which means you'd rarely get takeout anyways) then I'd probably tip because I figure the staff still probably gets paid the same hourly wage but their table times per customer are longer.

It really just depends for me but the general rule for me is no to a takeout meal.

On a slightly related note, how much do you tip for just drinks?  Say you got a bunch of beers while sitting at the bar, each one costing 6-7$.  I generally like to think $1 per drink.  What if they mixed it or it actually took effort to make said drink?  What if the bar charges ridiculous prices like $7 for a bud light bottle?

On a slightly related note, how much do you tip for just drinks?  Say you got a bunch of beers while sitting at the bar, each one costing 6-7$.  I generally like to think $1 per drink.  What if they mixed it or it actually took effort to make said drink?  What if the bar charges ridiculous prices like $7 for a bud light bottle?

Dollar per drink...unless it REALLY requires skill to make, and since I never order those.....dollar per drink...lol

Unless I'm mistaken, cooks and cashiers at takeout places don't work for tips.  If the same positions at regular restaurants don't get tips, why would they?

Drivers are different.

I draw a distinction between "takeout places" and restaurants where you can order takeout if you want, but that's a small part of their business.

At a place like Moe's or picking up a pizza or something, I usually don't.  I might throw in a buck but that's about it. 

But a regular restaurant, a place where you're going to have a bartender that is not waiting on other people so they can take my order, assembling everything for me, separating all the sauces and dressings or whatever, I  leave them something.  10%, give or take. It's a couple bucks for the bartender's trouble, and that's someone who is definitely working for tips.

I tip 15-20% minimum and mostly more for good service at sit down restaurants.

$1 per drink to bartenders + extra if they are attentive.

I tip $0 on take out and at fast food places.

They are making minimum wage or more.

Tips aren't necessary and feeding that concept to me is a bad idea.

I don't tip baristas or subway sandwich people unless the service is really good and then just a buck maximum.

The reason to tip bartenders and waiters is because they don't make even min. wage and rely on tips to make up the difference.

At least that's my take.

I used to wonder about this as well, but I'm working at a restaurant for the summer and my opinion has changed. I think tipping for carryout isn't necessary if its at a place where you order over a counter  from a cashier, however at a sit-down type restaurant with waitstaff etc if its a server or bartender who takes your order I think at least something would be nice. They rely on tips to make their living and at least at our restaurant when I get a to-go order, i do have to tackle that order at the same time as I'm dealing with my actual tables. Its not as easy as just putting it in then handing it to the person. There is some extra work involved (boxing the food up, filling up drinks to go, etc). We do get a little angry on the inside when someone places a more expensive order and doesn't tip a dime. 

just my 2cents

Archived