Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take Out Tip Etiquette

shuler74

I never tip on takeout.  I tip if I am served, I tip if I had food delivered.  If I'm going to the place and getting the food myself I'm not tipping anymore than I'd tip the cashier at the grocery store if I bought a prepared meal there.

On a slightly related note, how much do you tip for just drinks?  Say you got a bunch of beers while sitting at the bar, each one costing 6-7$.  I generally like to think $1 per drink.  What if they mixed it or it actually took effort to make said drink?  What if the bar charges ridiculous prices like $7 for a bud light bottle?

I usually tip my bartenders well. I always start tabs. It's not a big issue, if it was an expensive tab I'll go 18-20% like I would for a meal. If it was a cheap tab, I'll go way higher sometimes.

If I went to a bar charging 7 dollars for a bud light, then I wouldn't go there any more. I like to become a regular at one or two places.

This might be unpopular, but I tip bartenders 50 cents to a buck for a drink. Sorry, popping a top ain't worth 20%. Bartenders also tend to get minimum wage or more. So it's not like some poor server at a Cracker Barrel getting $2.13/hour. Bartender is probably the most lucrative compensation to skill (as in unskilled) profession out there.

WIth regards to takeout, it just depends. Is the girl cute? Friendly? If a guy, did he actually do anything above and beyond? If yes, I might throw done a bone or two.

Servers get 20% usually for good service. If the service is really really legendary, I'll adjust accordingly. Bad service, I just bounce.

I don't tip on pizza carry-out, and I don't do curbside or carryout from chain restaurants thus no need to tip. Overall as a culture I feel we tip too much. A good tip should be service above and beyond, not standard expected service.

Generally speaking, I tend to agree. I see people advocating tipping any number of people who get paid a decent wage (even if the job itself sucks). Like garbage men around Christmas time. Or people delivering furniture. These aren't people making minimum wage.

It seems now the norm (or at least what people say online) is they tip 20%. How long until the norm is 25%?

I am not  necessarily against tipping for takeout but it isn't something I do regularly.  Not sure why folks wouldn't then be in favor of tipping at drive-thru windows or fast food counters too since it is virtually the same thing.

Something I have made a habit of doing is tip for takeout from joints that I frequent regularly.  There is a really good Indian food place around the corner and since their food and service has been good every time, the tip I tend to give (a buck or two) out of appreciation overall moreso than that specific trip.

I don't tip on take out. I see no reason to. Do you think the cooks will get the money?  probably the company keeps it

When I go to a restaurant  i take cash so i can tip the waitress instead of putting in on a credit/debit card that way they she can claim her tip or not  for the IRS

I used to wonder about this as well, but I'm working at a restaurant for the summer and my opinion has changed. I think tipping for carryout isn't necessary if its at a place where you order over a counter  from a cashier, however at a sit-down type restaurant with waitstaff etc if its a server or bartender who takes your order I think at least something would be nice. They rely on tips to make their living and at least at our restaurant when I get a to-go order, i do have to tackle that order at the same time as I'm dealing with my actual tables. Its not as easy as just putting it in then handing it to the person. There is some extra work involved (boxing the food up, filling up drinks to go, etc). We do get a little angry on the inside when someone places a more expensive order and doesn't tip a dime. 

just my 2cents

Anyone who has worked at a restaurant before knows this is the standard.  Bartenders DO NOT make minimum wage, I don't know where that myth could've come from.  When I was a bartender at a restaurant I would be required to answer the phone, take orders, put the food together, and have it ready when the person showed up.  If I had the order ready when you walked up to the bar, a buck or two for my trouble was expected and appreciated (obviously not 15-20%).  If I did have to get a big order together (probably 4 or more meals) I would hope for 5-10%.  I had to take time out from my sit down customers to take an order and get it ready, and in a restaurant, time is money.  

A dedicated take-out person is another animal.  They probably get paid a wage, so I think that's more up to the person buying the meal.  As for subway, etc, I generally don't tip, and don't think anyone should be expected to tip.

I think a good rule of thumb should be if they make minimum wage you aren't expected to tip, if they don't (see server/bartender at  a restaurant) then you should throw a buck or two their way.  

I used to wonder about this as well, but I'm working at a restaurant for the summer and my opinion has changed. I think tipping for carryout isn't necessary if its at a place where you order over a counter  from a cashier, however at a sit-down type restaurant with waitstaff etc if its a server or bartender who takes your order I think at least something would be nice. They rely on tips to make their living and at least at our restaurant when I get a to-go order, i do have to tackle that order at the same time as I'm dealing with my actual tables. Its not as easy as just putting it in then handing it to the person. There is some extra work involved (boxing the food up, filling up drinks to go, etc). We do get a little angry on the inside when someone places a more expensive order and doesn't tip a dime. 

just my 2cents

Anyone who has worked at a restaurant before knows this is the standard.  Bartenders DO NOT make minimum wage, I don't know where that myth could've come from.  When I was a bartender at a restaurant I would be required to answer the phone, take orders, put the food together, and have it ready when the person showed up.  If I had the order ready when you walked up to the bar, a buck or two for my trouble was expected and appreciated (obviously not 15-20%).  If I did have to get a big order together (probably 4 or more meals) I would hope for 5-10%.  I had to take time out from my sit down customers to take an order and get it ready, and in a restaurant, time is money.  

Not to mention keeping up with all the drinks in the rest of the restaurant.  I've always worked with the "guests inside come first" approach.  I attribute it to "good time management", lol!

I know this is OT, but bars turning non-smoking hurt us bartenders...now we do more work for to-go orders & less in tips.  That's why I always tip on takeout, because we almost NEVER eat out anymore.  Sales haven't suffered, earnings have. <end rant smiley>

I rarely ever tip take out. About the only time I ever do is at a local Chinese place. They have a tip jar at the counter. I'll sometimes just drop my change in it. I just dont see the point in tipping, when I drove there to pick up the food.

I usually tip 20% to drivers though. Gave the driver $4 the other night for a pizza, when he only drove a couple of miles to and from my house. I start at 20%. But if they are later than expected, I will go as low as 15%.

I will tip the girl if I order curbside takeout. The amount depends on how hot they are. Lol j/k.

How are tips distributed?  If all the money goes to the lady who puts the food in a bag, hands me the bag, then cashes me out, then I don't feel like giving her that much.  If some of the money goes to the people cooking the food in the back, then I don't mind tipping quite a bit.

Some restaurants have a tip jar/cup/bucket.  Sometimes I may throw my change or a buck in, but I don't tip on takeout when I'm using nearly $3.50 a gallon of gas to go get it.

Jesus, do you live in the middle of nowhere?

Some restaurants have a tip jar/cup/bucket. Sometimes I may throw my change or a buck in, but I don't tip on takeout when I'm using nearly $3.50 a gallon of gas to go get it.

Jesus, do you live in the middle of nowhere?

I understood what he was saying. He was basically saying that if he's using gas money to go pick up food, then he doesn't see a reason to tip. I feel the same way.

Yes, I tip in any situation where a individual in the food industry provides some type of service for me (aside from a fast food restaurant).

So i just came back from a massage where they never asked for a tip but i voluntarily asked that the person who performed the massage get tipped? Is that awkward?

Salons, massage parlors, etc. never "ask" for tips.  However, it's extremely rude not to give your masseuse, hairstylist, nail technician, etc. a tip and ensure the tip gets to them via sealing it in an envelope with their name on it, directing the cashier to give it to them or physically walking across the salon to give them the tip and a say thank you.

I don't because I don't know who I'm tipping.  The person who takes my order over the phone is usually never the person who is preparing and giving me my food when I get there. 

Doesn't seem like a very good reason to me.

If the person who simply hands you your food (and did nothing more for your order) pockets the tip, that person is an asshole.  All of their co-workers will figure out that they are an asshole very quickly.  And they will get a very clear directive about what is to be done with tips in the future.  Restaurants aren't dumb, and people who work for tips take this stuff seriously because it's their livelihood.

Archived