Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take Out Tip Etiquette

shuler74

Anyone who has worked at a restaurant before knows this is the standard.  Bartenders DO NOT make minimum wage, I don't know where that myth could've come from.  When I was a bartender at a restaurant I would be required to answer the phone, take orders, put the food together, and have it ready when the person showed up......

This is the truth.  Being in the industry for almost a decade, almost no where will give you min. wage as hourly.  Even chains like Red Lobster have gotten away from paying their employees that high. 

I think $.50-$1 a drink is a good standard; more if a ****tail takes longer to make (ie: Old Fashions, Mojitos, some frozen drinks).  If you start a tab, 15-20% is ideal.  Remember the bartender does appreciate all/any as most need to split tips w/ other bartenders, then the barbacks, door, and possibly back of house workers - leaving only a fraction that is actually left.

Doesn't seem like a very good reason to me.

If the person who simply hands you your food (and did nothing more for your order) pockets the tip, that person is an asshole.  All of their co-workers will figure out that they are an asshole very quickly.  And they will get a very clear directive about what is to be done with tips in the future.  Restaurants aren't dumb, and people who work for tips take this stuff seriously because it's their livelihood.

Just order a Code Red on that server/bartender.

Archived