Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Smith has good DRPM numbers though. He's like third at the SF position. He does one thing well. His ORPM is absolutely atrocious and almost completely neutralizes the positive impact of his defense. But if you put him in a situation where he has a very very limited offensive role and just let him do work on defense, then that's a valuable player. He can defend both forward spots at an elite level.

He's just not a fit in Detroit at all. He can't shoot but shoots without a conscience. He's not a facilitator but Detroit tries to run offense through him. It's just a terrible situation. Smith is the kind of player that can only look good on good teams. He looks absolutely horrible on bad ones. He's a role player.

Well, the have 1 more victory than the Sixers. You sure the Pistons weren't trying to tank but was a little more clever at hiding it?

Why hide it?  The fans in Philly are willing to cut the team some slack because they understand that a long term plan is in effect.  They won't cancel their season tickets just yet.

The fans in Detroit are just going to be pissed because the team just sucks and appears to have no plan.  

• Like 1

Beal tha gawd

"he's only 21 folks!" *Jay Z voice*

Get this from my #1 squad, the member-of-the-family team

Spurs running over the Knicks with all of their starters getting the night off except Danny Green. Almost sad David Stern isn't around to whine about it.

And get this from my #2 team, the comedy squad.

Perfect night.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Single most OVERRATED "star" player the NBA has seen in years.

The New York Knicks were en route to their fifth straight loss last week against Brooklyn when a frustrated Tim Hardaway Jr. screamed angrily, "Get the rebound!"

Certain his second-year teammate was speaking to him, Carmelo Anthony approached Hardaway on the way down the court and used an expletive to ask Hardaway who in the world he thought he was talking to.

Anthony, according to sources, used another expletive in telling Hardaway he was going to beat him up when they got into the locker room after the game.

Link

Melo is basically the AI of small forwards. He'll be successful in the NBA as long as everyone around him defends and defers to him on offense.

He made a mistake going to NY from a winning standpoint. That team isn't winning jack for the next four years unless some FA is stupid enough to sign with them. Last report I read said that Marc Gasol was their target but Gasol has no interest LOL.

Melo is basically the AI of small forwards. He'll be successful in the NBA as long as everyone around him defends and defers to him on offense.

He made a mistake going to NY from a winning standpoint. That team isn't winning jack for the next four years unless some FA is stupid enough to sign with them. Last report I read said that Marc Gasol was their target but Gasol has no interest LOL.

Iverson actually put a team on his back and took them to the finals.  I would never put the two in the same sentence.  If I had to choose between a prime Iverson and a prime Melo, the choice (for me) is easy. 

Melo, in his prime...in a weak eastern conference, can't do ****.  Speaks volumes about his game. 

Iverson actually put a team on his back and took them to the finals. I would never put the two in the same sentence. If I had to choose between a prime Iverson and a prime Melo, the choice (for me) is easy.

Melo, in his prime...in a weak eastern conference, can't do ****. Speaks volumes about his game.

I mean he never had an amazing defensive cast around him either.

But yeah, times running out for Melo, if it hasn't already. Wonder at what point he demands a trade.

Melo made his decision to stay in NY about non-basketball reasons and he's reaping the result. He's a fool IMO, he wasted his chance to actually leave a meaningful impact on the NBA.

One thing I know is I'm tired of hearing him talk wistfully about Chicago. Every one with a brain knew he should have gone there if he wanted to win. But he wanted his money. He wanted his perks. And he wanted to keep hogging the ball and taking it easy on defense, he didn't want to play for a hardass like Thibs.

We're going to be talking about Melo's contract as one of the worst in the NBA. 

There have been other legit star players in this league who have taken less money to help their team's chances going forward.  Melo has been selfish from day one.  Not that there is anything wrong with it, but he's always been about $ since day 1.  I honestly don't think winning is a top priority for him. 

We're going to be talking about Melo's contract as one of the worst in the NBA. 

There have been other legit star players in this league who have taken less money to help their team's chances going forward.  Melo has been selfish from day one.  Not that there is anything wrong with it, but he's always been about $ since day 1.  I honestly don't think winning is a top priority for him. 

Winning can be a top priority, but even then, the discount only goes so far.   I'm not a Melo fan, but I understand why he did what he did - the offers were hugely different.   

According to the recent ESPN story the most the bulls could offer without a sign and trade was 74 million. The Knicks paid him 124 million. Melo is 30.

I think in that situation he had to take the money. 50 million guaranteed is just too much to turn down.

The Knicks need to just stay the course with the triangle, it's proven but it takes time to learn, and try to add another star with cap space Amares expiring deal gives them. They also need to change much of their roster because the triangle requires a roster filled with perimeter players that can shoot and bigs that can pass.

Edited by Destino

To be fair, it was a lot more money. Pretty sure I wouldn't have turned it down.

He's already signed a hundred million deal though. After a certain point, does the money keep mattering more than legacy? He only gets so many more chances to win a ring as anything more than a washed up vet riding along with a contender.

50 million is a big number even if you already made 100 mil.

His career salary earnings prior to this deal are just over 135 million. He's also made about 8 or 9 million a year in endorsements for the past several years. The man has made money. I don't know if he's spent it all or what, but if those were my career earnings to date, and I'm picking my final team to play out the rest of my good years with, I would absolutely be willing to sacrifice tens of millions of dollars to go from one of the worst organizations in the league to one of the best. You can't put a price on a ring. Or the respect of the entire basketball world, present and future. Carmelo's legacy will be entirely different if he wins a ring.

Besides, he doesn't have to sacrifice 50 million to change teams. He could have signed a one year deal like LeBron did then sign the 5 year deal next season. Chicago would have the ability to offer him five years then. Or he could have done the same thing in Dallas, who can easily give him a 5 year max deal next summer. And he wouldn't be paying huge income tax in Dallas like he is in NYC. He'd have made more money there.

Money was absolutely factor in Melo's decision. But it wasn't the only one, because if it was just about money + winning, he'd have signed in Dallas. There were plenty of other non-basketball reasons he decided to stay in NY. I bet his wife's career was a big part of the decision. And I bet the way the Knicks bend over for him and treat him like a king and the fact that he has zero accountability to them was another huge factor. Melo has always been a have his cake and eat it too player. He deserves what he gets in NY.