Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

And what will it matter?  Are people going to stop going to games because of Haslett? No.  They'll stop going to games if the team continues to lose.

Not trying to be the turd in the punch bowl, but losing the last 20 years hasn't stopped dick. The fans & franchise have accepted losing. People won't stop going. And even if they do, Snyder will reconfigure the stadium so it has less seats to meet the sellout rules. 

People complaining about Rak and his play need to check themselves. This guy, while not the greatest player for the Redskins, always played his proverbial Joe-Gibbs-guts-out. . He's far from the problem. Look elsewhere for people to blame. I feel sorry for him. Forget the money. Rak always seemed to want to win. Not his fault BAllen gave him $11m to play this year...

Not trying to be the turd in the punch bowl, but losing the last 20 years hasn't stopped dick. The fans & franchise have accepted losing. People won't stop going. And even if they do, Snyder will reconfigure the stadium so it has less seats to meet the sellout rules. 

I actually disagree with that.  The evidence is that they had to remove thousands of seats from FedEx, which cost Snyder significant revenue, because they could not sell tickets, because the team stinks.

By re-configuring the stadium to meet the sellout requirements, they are still costing themselves revenue in the millions.  And it's known, repeatable revenue because most of those seats went to season ticket holders.  

The longer this drought continues, the worse it will get.  The more seats they remove, the more money they lose.

Also, the less people who actually attend games means less in concessions and merchandise costs.  So even if the game is technically a sellout, if not everybody shows up, that's money off the bottom line as well.  

Anybody who doesn't think that the losing is effecting Snyder in the pocketbook is wrong.  It is.  The question is, when does it become unsustainable? Certainly not in the near future.  

I actually disagree with that.  The evidence is that they had to remove thousands of seats from FedEx, which cost Snyder significant revenue, because they could not sell tickets, because the team stinks.

By re-configuring the stadium to meet the sellout requirements, they are still costing themselves revenue in the millions.  And it's known, repeatable revenue because most of those seats went to season ticket holders.  

The longer this drought continues, the worse it will get.  The more seats they remove, the more money they lose.

Also, the less people who actually attend games means less in concessions and merchandise costs.  So even if the game is technically a sellout, if not everybody shows up, that's money off the bottom line as well.  

Anybody who doesn't think that the losing is effecting Snyder in the pocketbook is wrong.  It is.  The question is, when does it become unsustainable? Certainly not in the near future.  

Wait....isn't that what I said? "Even if they do, Snyder will reconfigure the stadium so it has less seats to meet the sellout rules".

Yeah, I realize he loses money with less attendance. But he doesn't suffer the embarrassment of not selling out his stadium because fewer people buy tickets. Instead he reduces the number of seats to make it appear everything is fine. Can you imagine if an announcer said during a game "Yeah, a sellout at FedEx tonight. We see over 74,000 people. Just think, 15 years ago 90,000 was a sellout. Fans have sure stopped buying season tickets since this team sucks." (I made up those numbers)

My point is the same as your last sentence: When does it become unsustainable? It hasn't for 20 years. Is it 20 more? 

Wait....isn't that what I said? "Even if they do, Snyder will reconfigure the stadium so it has less seats to meet the sellout rules".

Yeah, I realize he loses money with less attendance. But he doesn't suffer the embarrassment of not selling out his stadium because fewer people buy tickets. Instead he reduces the number of seats to make it appear everything is fine. Can you imagine if an announcer said during a game "Yeah, a sellout at FedEx tonight. We see over 74,000 people. Just think, 15 years ago 90,000 was a sellout. Fans have sure stopped buying season tickets since this team sucks." (I made up those numbers)

My point is the same as your last sentence: When does it become unsustainable? It hasn't for 20 years. Is it 20 more?

I don't think Snyder cares a hoot about the embarrassment. He cares about $$

And I think the trend is going that you're going to see half full stadiums consistently here in the next couple of years unless they get it turned around. Apathy is starting to settle in.

That's going to necessitate a change somehow or another. Though I have no idea what thst change would be.

I don't think Snyder cares a hoot about the embarrassment. He cares about $$

And I think the trend is going that you're going to see half full stadiums consistently here in the next couple of years unless they get it turned around. Apathy is starting to settle in.

That's going to necessitate a change somehow or another. Though I have no idea what thst change would be.

I think we're in agreement.

It's sad to see season ticket holders (like myself) who have had seats since the '60s walk away. We had 6 seats for many, many years. But I couldn't justify it any longer. I have 1 brother who swears this year is his last (with 2 of the remaining 6). 

I thought the Zorn years put an end to the fan revolt. This new regime is forcing fans to take it to another level. 

Too bad Brian Orakpo never really lived up to his potential as a Redskin, time to move on, he's injured to darn often to risk a big contract on. Hopefully we draft a monster pass rusher in the next couple of drafts that will pan out to be a hall of famer, like a Peppers or Ware. Kerrigan is good but is not the elite pass rusher that we need,

At least the bet is now off though GHH.  ;)

I think we're in agreement.

It's sad to see season ticket holders (like myself) who have had seats since the '60s walk away. We had 6 seats for many, many years. But I couldn't justify it any longer. I have 1 brother who swears this year is his last (with 2 of the remaining 6).

I thought the Zorn years put an end to the fan revolt. This new regime is forcing fans to take it to another level.

The parallels between the Zorn years and the start of Grudens regime are startling. The only hope is Allen has a plan.

The only positive of this disastrous season is game tickers are fairly cheap. Heck I plan on going to one this year.

You didn't see Rambo last year?

He played like the low round draft pick he was.  All the physical tools, needed coaching up, if he could be.  Usually takes a bit for me to not see the upside, which is why Murphy is so 'special'.  Our FO over drafting, and not at a position worthy of the risk (like OL) again.

I really do feel for the guy, but like others have stated already we just spent nearly $12 mil on a guy with half a sack, has pretty much failed to make any impact plays (be it due to scheme or whatever), and is out for the season after 7 games with the same type of injury he's sustained two other times.  That sucks.  No other way to really put it.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gabe Miller promoted to take Orakpo's roster spot and back up Murphy (as mentioned by Keim).  He seemed to play well in the preseason; I wonder if it can translate to the regular season. 

On a defensive plus side, our mutural man crush from last preseason seems to be looking solid next to Keenan

Still absolutely shocked he wasn't drafted.

Glad he is getting some burn finally.  I've counted one missed tackle and that's it.  He's been pretty darn good.

I really do feel for the guy, but like others have stated already we just spent nearly $12 mil on a guy with half a sack, has pretty much failed to make any impact plays (be it due to scheme or whatever), and is out for the season after 7 games with the same type of injury he's sustained two other times.  That sucks.  No other way to really put it.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gabe Miller promoted to take Orakpo's roster spot and back up Murphy (as mentioned by Keim).  He seemed to play well in the preseason; I wonder if it can translate to the regular season. 

Can't blame the scheme for Orakpo's lack of impact plays.  He dropped an INT that was right in his hands against the Cards.  I remember a few years ago a game against the Eagles where he was unblocked and had a free blindside shot at Vick.  Perfect opportunity for a strip sack since Vick had the ball out and didn't see him coming.  And Vick gets stripped a lot.  Orapko sacked him but made no attempt to strip it.  A lot of it is instinct.  The top pass rushers know when to go after the ball.  Orakpo doesn't have those instincts.  Only 6 forced fumbles for his career.  As Keim said, guys being paid what Orakpo is have forced 6 fumbles in a season. 

Can't blame the scheme for Orakpo's lack of impact plays.  He dropped an INT that was right in his hands against the Cards.  I remember a few years ago a game against the Eagles where he was unblocked and had a free blindside shot at Vick.  Perfect opportunity for a strip sack since Vick had the ball out and didn't see him coming.  And Vick gets stripped a lot.  Orapko sacked him but made no attempt to strip it.  A lot of it is instinct.  The top pass rushers know when to go after the ball.  Orakpo doesn't have those instincts.  Only 6 forced fumbles for his career.  As Keim said, guys being paid what Orakpo is have forced 6 fumbles in a season. 

I only mentioned the scheme because I know a lot of people have mentioned how he's been misused and moved into coverage too much. But you're right, even then he has had some opportunities to make a play, and failed. 

But even with all that being said, will he be that easy to replace? Just read Keim's column and he makes a very good point.  We're starting a rookie in his place.  Its going to be hard to replace Rak's experience, regardless of his performance.  Murphy's development for the rest of this season is going to be huge. 

I pray he does not sign with a team in the NFC East...

I'd LOVE him to.

Just to put to bed the 'scheme/ coaches holding him back' bunkum argument once and for all when he gets nowhere near RGIII.

And I really hope to see Jeffcoat now more than Murphy.

That's how much faith I have in him.

Why? They are TB buds.

Who are and what impact does that have on my not ruling out Orakpo being still here next year?

Hail.

Who are and what impact does that have on my not ruling out Orakpo being still here next year?

Hail.

I misread your post.  I thought that you were saying that because Allen was in charge, there was not a chance Haslett would return.  

You said the opposite.  Consider myself properly chastised and apologetic.

And, we completely agree.  I think that the likelihood of both Haslett and Orakpo returning is 60%.  This injury might drop the asking price so low that it would make sense.  And I've already laid out the defense for Haslett.

Even though I want to see neither back.  I will believe that when I see it. 

Go sign Rob Jackson already

You know, it says a lot about a guys reputation in the league when he doesn't get picked up by anybody at all.  

I personally think Jackson is what I thought he was: Good effort guy, pretty good in space, can make a few plays. But really, JAG. Though I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him for that Romo INT to seal the division in 2012.  

I don't think he'd be in their long term plans, so I don't really think they should bring him back. 

That goes for anybody: Nobody who is not in the long term plans should be playing now.  Period.  I don't care if they're not mathematically eliminated.  

Archived