Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Orakpo is our AJ Hawk....perhaps our Brian Cushing!?  Those guys, when they play opposite side of a beast like Clay Matthews and/or JJ Watt, they look pretty good, but they are not THE GUY on the defense and it's obvious.

When Kerrigan was drafted, it was a bad judgement on the part of our scouts who thought Orakpo was an elite rusher who just needed someone to alleviate all the attention trying to stop him.

Instead Kerrigan is pretty much Orakpo's equal, if not superior (it seems that way at least as far as play making ability goes) 

Orakpo is our AJ Hawk....perhaps our Brian Cushing!?  Those guys, when they play opposite side of a beast like Clay Matthews and/or JJ Watt, they look pretty good, but they are not THE GUY on the defense and it's obvious.

When Kerrigan was drafted, it was a bad judgement on the part of our scouts who thought Orakpo was an elite rusher who just needed someone to alleviate all the attention trying to stop him.

Instead Kerrigan is pretty much Orakpo's equal, if not superior (it seems that way at least as far as play making ability goes) 

Kerrigan is leaps and bounds better then Orakpo imo Orakpo is what he is an average player who we drafted in the first round and thought he would be something pretty good to amazing but it just hasnt transpired that way. I dont even remember a game changing play Orakpo has ever made in his career here he seems to do the same thing every week...maybe he gets a sack here and there against a mediocre LT but thats about it. 

I think coaching makes a difference in the 'appearance' of a player.

I think under a different coach he has a good chance of being a better player.

Dallas changed defensive coaches and Dallas D is looking good across the board, even Rolondo McClain is looking like a stud, coming off injury/ retirement.

It's the coach and what he instills in his players. It's the player and if he buys into the scheme and coaching.

In Rex Ryan's system he would put up nice numbers, in Seattle as well.

No I am not trying to be smarter than anyone else. When i am putting fans as "fans" I am reffering to people who turn on their own players at the drop of the hat. I am calling out "fans" who think it is fine to put up 100 page thread roundly trashing one of our players who is out there trying to contribute - I would not have a problem if Orakpo was a problem child or never put in the effort but he is a hard worker and generally productive. You can look back with the power of hindsight and say the franchise tag was a mistake but at the time it was a tough call.

"Fans" say we should use the draft develop our own players but when it comes to actually paying them and standing by them **** that I would rather spend the money on Donald ****ing Penn - a LT who we would have tried to switch sides and a guy who Tampa fans were frustrated by and glad to see on his way because he never was a high effort guy.

I am referring to the "fans" who think it is okay to post RGIII logos mocking his logo into a wheelchair

I am referring to the "fans" who think we should move on from our franchise QB 8 plays into a preseason game...

I am referring to the "fans" who call our rookie RT a bust after 2 plays.

I am referring to the "fans" who constantly want to blow the whole thing up and then magically expect an instant winner when the dust settles .

You have a problem with us using the tag then drafting a guy at the same position - Really - we drafted the position to build for the future it is what you do in the draft ... we then went and spent 2 picks on the OL but no one wants to consider that as addressing the position because in the "fans" oppinion if you are not a HOF player right away then you have no place on a 3-13 team.

This entire thread is an I told you so thread - and you want to really call me out for pretentding to be smarter than you ... really I think maybe there is a crisis of consciousness - I am all for doing the right thing for the team but you have to at some point support the players on that team and not constantly and I mean constantly griping about what might have been.

That is one of the reasons why I took a 2 year absence from this board but I see a lot hasn't changed. I guess years of losing has caused this fan base to go crazier and crazier. To be honest with you Orakpo deserves better then what he is getting. Orakpo is a friend of mine, and even though this is the team I root for I hope he goes somewhere else beast out and stick it to the fan base that bashes a 3 time pro bowler.

Kerrigan is leaps and bounds better then Orakpo imo Orakpo is what he is an average player who we drafted in the first round and thought he would be something pretty good to amazing but it just hasnt transpired that way. I dont even remember a game changing play Orakpo has ever made in his career here he seems to do the same thing every week...maybe he gets a sack here and there against a mediocre LT but thats about it.

Kerrigan is not on Orakpo's level. Kerrigan's piss poor play and contain against Seattle was one of the biggest factors in the loss. Kerrigan was the reason for the biggest run of the night by Wilson, and he kept getting schooled time and time again. Hell Wilson runs 70% of his plays to the right side. Kerrigan plays on the right side and Kerrigan was horrible in that game. This is the first year that Kerrigan has played like a pro bowl caliber player, while Orakpo has 3 pro bowls under his belt.

That is one of the reasons why I took a 2 year absence from this board but I see a lot hasn't changed. I guess years of losing has caused this fan base to go crazier and crazier. To be honest with you Orakpo deserves better then what he is getting. Orakpo is a friend of mine, and even though this is the team I root for I hope he goes somewhere else beast out and stick it to the fan base that bashes a 3 time pro bowler.

If I were an owner, I wouldn't reward a popularity contest that means literally NOTHING in the grand scheme of things in a players contract.

Hail.

Orakpo will likely go elsewhere and succeed. Why is that a bad thing? He's a good football player who has been mishandled and misused, and on his end hasn't made the plays he needed to make here. It's good for Orakpo AND for the Washington Redskins to move on. It really is.

Orakpo will sign with a team that will use him appropriately, and he'll play at a higher level. We'll sign a cheaper option (to go along with Murphy/Kerrigan) and bolster larger areas of need such as offensive line, defensive line, inside backer and safety.

Once again it's nothing personal. And has nothing to do with how much I like Orakpo. If it's any consolation, if Kerrigan was seeking the money Orakpo is this season and next, even with the production he's having, I'd probably feel the same way towards him. It's got little to do with Orakpo and everything to do with the team's situation.

I don't see it happening Dawg. He has now been bitten by the injury bug. He is too oft-injured now. Will a team take a chance on him? Sure. The NFL is always looking for pass rushers and if your name is mentioned in any part of that sentence you'll more likely then not be given a chance. 

I don't look at the '22' but when I watch the games I see 'Rak getting far fewer double teams then he did earlier in his career and I've seen any tackle that is above average handle with him with ease.

I'm sure you guys have this somewhere in this thread but I thought after the latest injury, I would read up on Orakpo's draft profile one more time:

Negatives are spot on: May need to play on the strong side in the pros because he lacks great explosion and pass rush off the edge. ... Can be easily pushed around the pocket if he tries to use an outside speed move. ... Gets sacks from hustle and effort. ... Does not always change direction quickly enough to make the play on the outside. ... Needs to use his punch more often to get tackles off balance on the pass rush. ... Durability concern

I don't look at the '22' but when I watch the games I see 'Rak getting far fewer double teams then he did earlier in his career and I've seen any tackle that is above average handle with him with ease.

I know you know this, but just for the record, again:  good LTs handle any edge rusher one on one.  Especially when there's no stunts, no movement and most of the time the rush has to include contain. 

Edge rushers, and having two of them tare only really needed when you're making a run at the SB.  With Griffin not on the field we aren't doing that any time soon with our **** FO and **** coaching staff (both sides of the ball) so we should really focus on an OL to hope Griffin can bottle a lightening strike one year (assuming he stays).

I hope I'm wrong on Murphy but I've yet to see anything that makes me think he is anything more than back up material. Usually a player drafted that high will at least flash athletically. I've seen none of that. No speed, no explosion.

I hope I'm wrong on Murphy but I've yet to see anything that makes me think he is anything more than back up material. Usually a player drafted that high will at least flash athletically. I've seen none of that. No speed, no explosion.

Hated the pick when we made it. Seen nothing to change my opinion as of now.

Allen and his talent eval (STOP laughing at the back) screwed us over twice on the two major moves this off season. Cap space and top draft pick nobody had anywhere near that high

I'm sure you guys have this somewhere in this thread but I thought after the latest injury, I would read up on Orakpo's draft profile one more time:

Negatives are spot on: May need to play on the strong side in the pros because he lacks great explosion and pass rush off the edge. ... Can be easily pushed around the pocket if he tries to use an outside speed move. ... Gets sacks from hustle and effort. ... Does not always change direction quickly enough to make the play on the outside. ... Needs to use his punch more often to get tackles off balance on the pass rush. ... Durability concern

What's frightening (if not news) on that, and to the extreme detriment of both individual and coaches; is he's ostensibly the exact same player who walked through the door 5 years ago.

Hail.

Hated the pick when we made it. Seen nothing to change my opinion as of now.

Allen and his talent eval (STOP laughing at the back) screwed us over twice on the two major moves this off season. Cap space and top draft pick nobody had anywhere near that high

What's frightening (if not news) on that, and to the extreme detriment of both individual and coaches; is he's ostensibly the exact same player who walked through the door 5 years ago.

Hail.

A team with major needs and no depth, it was amazingly disturbing that the FO decided to spend a high draft pick on a "safety pick". In short, Allen and Co. blew this pick.

Even if Murphy pans out - and he has his doubters -  it will take a few yrs as he projects to be nothing more than a project. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as he didn't draft himself and he has not stated "he has nothing to prove" and when in, he does show effort. I will say, we have a lot of non-talented, high-motor, effort guys on this team. 

Way to build a team Allen, way to build a team.

Agree 100%. There was a play yesterday when he tried an inside rush...looked like the LT put one hand on him and brought Murphy to his knees...

The Cowboys are gonna run at him all day. 

Archived