Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Still absolutely shocked he wasn't drafted.

Glad he is getting some burn finally.  I've counted one missed tackle and that's it.  He's been pretty darn good.

I really hope that they keep him in there over Perry for the rest of the season. He's got more instincts, I think, and has a higher ceiling.

Dude won't be Ray Lewis.  But then, not everybody wants to be a murderer....

I personally think Jackson is what I thought he was: Good effort guy, pretty good in space, can make a few plays. But really, JAG. Though I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him for that romoSUCKS INT to seal the division in 2012.  

I don't think he'd be in their long term plans, so I don't really think they should bring him back. 

That goes for anybody: Nobody who is not in the long term plans should be playing now.  Period.  I don't care if they're not mathematically eliminated.  

Wow VoR, nobody in the long range plans? I like the premise but if we don't play the guys we got, who's gonna play? As i see it, I can list up to maybe 5-6 players who should be in the LTP bucket, the rest should be considered warm bodies trying to hold down the fort until we can find that LTP guy to replace them.

Compton has played well. He's better in coverage, he's faster than Riley, & he learns quickly. Early on Sunday i pointed out a play where he was late to gill the hole...it seemed like he bit on some misdirection, & got swept up trying to react & Sankey had 5 yards before ge was touched. A little over a quarter later they ran the same play out of a slightly different formation, but this time he read the G/C right & hit Sankey in the hole for no gain.

At this point...the way KRob has been playing along with the front 5 against the run, Compton can afford to be a project against the run so long as he is our best option vs the pass. He's doing just fine.

Also...i think we should move Kerrigan to Orakpo's spot & have Murphy go to the LOLB spot vacated by Kerrigan. Of course...you can move them around the line constantly, having Bowen back helps a bit.

Any word on Cofield?

Compton has played well. He's better in coverage, he's faster than Riley, & he learns quickly. Early on Sunday i pointed out a play where he was late to gill the hole...it seemed like he bit on some misdirection, & got swept up trying to react & Sankey had 5 yards before ge was touched. A little over a quarter later they ran the same play out of a slightly different formation, but this time he read the G/C right & hit Sankey in the hole for no gain.

At this point...the way KRob has been playing along with the front 5 against the run, Compton can afford to be a project against the run so long as he is our best option vs the pass. He's doing just fine.

Also...i think we should move Kerrigan to Orakpo's spot & have Murphy go to the LOLB spot vacated by Kerrigan. Of course...you can move them around the line constantly, having Bowen back helps a bit.

Any word on Cofield?

Yes, not really sure why we assume Kerrigan doesn't move to rolb. He's faster than Murphy and has a lot more experience. I think it was the intention all along to draft him to play kerrigan's spot when we moved on from orakpo.

Orakpo was his most productive his rookie year under a different dc, kinda hard to say it isn't partially scheme when he's regressed since then.

Wow VoR, nobody in the long range plans? I like the premise but if we don't play the guys we got, who's gonna play? As i see it, I can list up to maybe 5-6 players who should be in the LTP bucket, the rest should be considered warm bodies trying to hold down the fort until we can find that LTP guy to replace them.

Nobody not in the long range plans.

To clarify, there might be guys you want to evaluate to see if they're in the plans. Like Ribbs, Long, Moses, Redd, all the young folks in the secondary.

But you know you're not moving forward with guys like Polumbus, Chester, Riley, etc. so why play them?

Brian Orakpo is done for the 2014 season. He might be done for his Redskins career. This would be a mistake.

Orakpo has been crushed over and over and over again by fans who for some reason have a completely unrealistic expectation of performance and judge everything by the numbers that are commonly presented.

Orakpo has had a very productive career. He's been injured a lot over the last three years and that has robbed him of the ability to take the next step in his career.

What I don't get is how a guy like Orakpo who has never done a thing wrong get kicked on the way down and stomped on by fans and critics because he's never had 15 sacks in a year.

http://www.dchotread.com/2014/10/24/brian-orakpo-and-ryan-kerrigan

Brian Orakpo is done for the 2014 season. He might be done for his Redskins career. This would be a mistake.

Orakpo has been crushed over and over and over again by fans who for some reason have a completely unrealistic expectation of performance and judge everything by the numbers that are commonly presented.

Orakpo has had a very productive career. He's been injured a lot over the last three years and that has robbed him of the ability to take the next step in his career.

What I don't get is how a guy like Orakpo who has never done a thing wrong get kicked on the way down and stomped on by fans and critics because he's never had 15 sacks in a year.

No he hasn't.  His career has not even remotely lived up to his draft selection.  A mistake?  More like a gift.  Most of us wanted Orakpo gone before tagging him for an Olinemen.  Is it really an unrealistic expectation to have our 1st round pick play more than 8 games a season?  I cannot even believe we still have fans who stick up for this bust.

No he hasn't.  His career has not even remotely lived up to his draft selection.  A mistake?  More like a gift.  Most of us wanted Orakpo gone before tagging him for an Olinemen.  Is it really an unrealistic expectation to have our 1st round pick play more than 8 games a season?  I cannot even believe we still have fans who stick up for this bust.

And I wish we didn't have so many fans that called him a bust

Count me on board with Compton too. Has anyone noticed a pretty big improvement in the defense overall since Compton came on? I have. Those free runners down the seam seen to have been happening much much less since he entered and I think that was our biggest weakness on D. Let the kid play until he loses the spot

No he hasn't. His career has not even remotely lived up to his draft selection. A mistake? More like a gift. Most of us wanted Orakpo gone before tagging him for an Olinemen. Is it really an unrealistic expectation to have our 1st round pick play more than 8 games a season? I cannot even believe we still have fans who stick up for this bust.

it can certainly be argued that he's over rated and over paid, but posts like yours are so exaggerated that they just make you look foolish. I wonder if your definition of the word "bust" is unique and resides solely in your own head or if you really believe that Orakpo belongs on a list of first round players that completely failed in the NFL. I'm not sure which option would be more alarming.

it can certainly be argued that he's over rated and over paid, but posts like yours are so exaggerated that they just make you look foolish. I wonder if your definition of the word "bust" is unique and resides solely in your own head or if you really believe that Orakpo belongs on a list of first round players that completely failed in the NFL. I'm not sure which option would be more alarming.

Draft Bust - when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at the level in which drafted.

Like I said, bust.  Maybe bust is too harsh....slightly bust?  The bottom line is Brian Orakpo has not lived up to expectations to the #13 pick.  He is always injured and makes little to no impact every single game.  Sorry you bought an Orakpo jersey and your sour, I always thought he was going to be a stud for us as well.  He isn't.  He lacks zero finesse moves besides his straight bullrush or not even getting blocked for a sack.  Good riddance to him.  Draft busts don't have to be Ryan Leafs either.

Draft Bust - when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at the level in which drafted.

Like I said, bust.  Maybe bust is too harsh....slightly bust?  The bottom line is Brian Orakpo has not lived up to expectations to the #13 pick.  He is always injured and makes little to no impact every single game.  Sorry you bought an Orakpo jersey and your sour, I always thought he was going to be a stud for us as well.  He isn't.  He lacks zero finesse moves besides his straight bullrush or not even getting blocked for a sack.  Good riddance to him.

When the dude himself pertains to be 'elite' and having 'nothing to prove to anyone'; then you're not being harsh in the slightest.

Unless he's playing Oakland. Then you can take it back.

Hail.

part of the problem is that there is a perception out there (not just among some fans) that he is 'elite' (like ghh and others said, he has said so himself).

i dont think thats an argument anyone is going to win at this point.  

if we look at orakpo as if he were just a 'starter', or a 'good, solid, but not spectacular' player, most of us wouldnt have a problem with this. 

$11+ million players are held to a higher standard. in a salary cap situation, you have to produce, or you'll be criticized- especially when you hold yourself to that 'elite' status.

nothing wrong with that. 

Draft Bust - when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at the level in which drafted.

Like I said, bust. Maybe bust is too harsh....slightly bust? The bottom line is Brian Orakpo has not lived up to expectations to the #13 pick. He is always injured and makes little to no impact every single game. Sorry you bought an Orakpo jersey and your sour, I always thought he was going to be a stud for us as well. He isn't. He lacks zero finesse moves besides his straight bullrush or not even getting blocked for a sack. Good riddance to him. Draft busts don't have to be Ryan Leafs either.

A solid starter, that leads your team in sacks, and makes a probowl with the #13 pick doesn't meet your expectations? The problem is that your expectations are as irrational as Orakpo's contract demands. He's not anywhere close to a bust. He's a solid starter at an important position, which is good from a 13th pick where teams expect good players not great physical freaks. It's not like he's Laron Landry.

A solid starter, that leads your team in sacks, and makes a probowl with the #13 pick doesn't meet your expectations? The problem is that your expectations are as irrational as Orakpo's contract demands. He's not anywhere close to a bust. He's a solid starter at an important position, which is good from a 13th pick where teams expect good players not great physical freaks. It's not like he's Laron Landry.

Dude we can agree to disagree.  Leading the Washington Redskins in sacks is anything but impressive watching our defense the entire Haslett era.  The guy labels himself as elite status, he isn't.  He is far from even being labeled in a category with the elite pass rushers.  He is an average OLB in which does not fit the bill from a #13 pick.  Perhaps if he signed a 5 year $25 million my tone would change, but even after his 4th or 5th pectoral tear would probably tell you he is still elite and deserves top dollar.  He's not Laron Landry?  What is the difference at this point?  He can't stay on the field for a full season and neither could Laron.  He thinks he is so much better than what he is......so did Laron.  Really, what is the difference?  

Why is there is this insistence to kick this man while he's down?  Stay classy, Redskins fans...

It does suck that he's hurt, I hate injuries more than losing. But this thread has been going on way before he injured himself, based on his play, not how awesome of a guy he is in the locker room or on the streets. I love Orakpo, but it's clear it's time to move on.

I wouldn't mind keeping him though, but I couldn't call it a smart move moving forward

I wonder with Rak's injuries year after year if it will drive his market value way down to where we can keep him.  He spends alot of time in Texas so if he didn't resign with us I predict he will be a Texan or Saint next season...

if he spends a lot of time in texas, wouldnt he be a texan or a cowboy? saints arent in texas.

Archived