Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back up.....

But I'm wondering given his history with injuries, is there a chance that he comes back to the team on the cheap that his market value HAS to have taken a hit with his other season-ending injury this year.  I think Murphy will be improved under another DC, but I also think Orakpo would benefit as well.  If we can't get no one BETTER for the money then I don't see why we shouldn't go for it.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's back on a reduced salary.  

Let's not act like Orakpo doesn't have talent.  He's not an impact player, but he's still better than Murphy.

Last year's production warrants a vet min plus incentives contract... and I'm an Orakpo guy.

The issue that I have is that it's very difficult to judge Orakpo, because the 'Skins personnel guys, coaches and organization have completely ****ed up the entire defensive personnel thing for the last 5 years.  

The biggest issue was drafting Kerrigan.  This was completely, totally, and in every possible way stupid. 

This may very well be the single dumbest thing I have ever read about anything... ever... in the history of the universe. 

This may very well be the single dumbest thing I have ever read about anything... ever... in the history of the universe. 

I think it's a fair logic & why we continually fail, we are (have been) far too short term. I know I'll be alone on this but the Djax signing is an example why we always fail.

Djax & Kerrigan have been brilliant no one can disagree but they both represent a mismanagement of resources. The money used on Djax could have been spent on our O Line our secondary, did our WR play improve overall for the signings of Djax? No Garcon regressed & Roberts was a non factor with Grant barely getting a look in because you can only throw to one man.

Another reason why DJax was such a skin signing is he is such a great highlight player but doesnt do the nitty gritty of blocking etc which you need which is similiar to what V_O_R said about needing to have a OLB that can drop into coverage instead of 2 players solely going after QB

So to get back on point I think Orakpo could be able at a low cost but when you look at our roster we don't need that type of player with Kerrigan & Murphy here so we should pass on them & find a player that fits your specific need

I disagree.

Pass rushers are a premium position in the league and where a good portion of money should be spent. Kerrigan is on a rookie deal that is under paying for the value in which he brings to the team. Orakpo unfortunately has experienced injury issues and will likely not return. Imagine pass rushing situation this offseason without Kerrigan on roster. 

Desean Jackson this season proved to be one of the best free agent signings in a long time for Skins. Clearly the best offensive weapon on Skins roster and could argue best player on team. He's not being overly paid and he produced at an elite level. 

There are many things Skins do to frustrate but these two are not. 

The way fans talk about Orakpo you would swear he was a bust. We need as many 10+ sack potential guys as we can get.

If the price is right, make him a lifetime Redskin

He's not a bust. To me, he had 3 problems, in this order:

1. He was injured too much. Missed the majority of 2 seasons.  As an aside, the defense didn't really miss him that much either time, from a productivity standpoint.

2. When he did get 1-1 opportunities, he didn't win them often enough. If you're an elite pass rusher, you make your hay when you get singled up on a player.  He would get stonewalled way too many times when rushing 1-1.

3. He was completely mis-used by Haslett.  Because while he was possibly the best pass-rusher, he was MUCH better in coverage than Kerrigan.  So, in order to hide Kerrigan's weakness, then let him rush, and dropped Orakpo.  Which meant that his rush opportunities were down.** 

** This is why I keep saying that the Kerrigan pick was really stupid.  Not because Kerrigan isn't one one of the best players on the team, and a future building block, because he is both of those things.  And a solid dude, and one of my favorite players.

However, that said, Shanahan/Allen/Haslett went into that draft thinking that they needed another OLB to get pass rush, because that's where you get pressure from in the 3-4, from the OLB position.  However, all three of them failed to realize that by picking an OLB, ANY OLB, you were going to force one of them into playing coverage a majority of the time.  Which is why it was a stupid pick.  What they should have done is drafted the best pass-rushing DL (which could have been Watt), and then put Orakpo behind that player, and then see what happens.  Because then you are able to bring pressure from the DL AND your best OLB ALL THE TIME. 

I disagree.

Pass rushers are a premium position in the league and where a good portion of money should be spent. Kerrigan is on a rookie deal that is under paying for the value in which he brings to the team. Orakpo unfortunately has experienced injury issues and will likely not return. Imagine pass rushing situation this offseason without Kerrigan on roster. 

Desean Jackson this season proved to be one of the best free agent signings in a long time for Skins. Clearly the best offensive weapon on Skins roster and could argue best player on team. He's not being overly paid and he produced at an elite level. 

There are many things Skins do to frustrate but these two are not. 

DJax was a good pickup, insofar as he's the best WR they've had since Gary Clark.  However, combined with an OL built for outside-zone blocking, and a TE and OL group that can't anchor and pass protect, not having a WR who can help in the run game really hurt.

Gruden not being able to over-come that also hurt.  

The personnel on offense was a complete mish-mash.  Which is the problem.  Djax in a vacuum is great.  And I'm glad we signed him.

Now was SM has to do is figure out how to build offensive personnel that can run the ball when they're not going to have help blocking form DJax.  NOTE: Phily did it exceptionally well in 2013.  So it's possible.  

you'll probably hate McCloughan then, since he's apparently a BPA guy regardless of what you have.

I think SM is smart enough to understand what the effect of picking player A will have on players B, C and D already on the team.  And what to do about it.  That might mean that Player B get jettisoned.  Or if drafting Player A means that it diminishes productivity of both players, then that might effect whether they are drafted. 

VOR you have hit what I fear is the main problem going forward, Gruden didn't know how to make the most of the players given, while they may not be the best players in the world but we have seen them play better (did anyone actually play better last yr on offence than the mess up of the year before) so I have serious doubts over his scheming no matter how good the talent SM gives him.

We have seen with Haslett how talent can be wasted in the wrong situation, go back to Rak's rookie year & now look at the player he has become after years here, you can draft the players but you need the right situation to maximise their potential

• 10 months later...

Archived