Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Too bad for him.  I've always liked his attitude.  Three pec tears, though? That's really weird, no?  Makes me wonder...

Makes me wonder about guys who do too much weightlifting. I'm aware it's a healthy part of training for most athletes. I just think some of these guys become "body builders" and it hurts them in the long run.

/thread

You realize that there's a non-zero chance that they bring him back again, right?  Because his value is going to be a lot cheaper, and now he might be a good value at $4-5 mil?  

I still think he ends up elsewhere.  But I would not die of shock if they resigned him.  

Not saying I WANT them to do that.  Just saying I wouldn't be surprised IF they did it.  

I also think that Haslett is back next year, at this point.  There are, once again, compelling arguments that somebody could make to convince themselves that he isn't the problem.  

And if Haslett is back, and Orakpo is cheaper, then he'll be back also.  

Hopefully I'm 0-2 on that.  But I'm not going to believe it until I see it.  

On a defensive plus side, our mutural man crush from last preseason seems to be looking solid next to Keenan

I really hope he unseats Perry forever. 

Hard to feel someone who just cashed in 18 million, but I feel kind of bad for Brian.  Always seemed to properly want it, hated the Cowboys, and was a consistant double digit sack guy for a while which is nothing to sneeze at.

Just wish Carlos Rogers hadn't offered to take him under his wing and teach him how to catch.

You realize that there's a non-zero chance that they bring him back again, right?  Because his value is going to be a lot cheaper, and now he might be a good value at $4-5 mil?  

I still think he ends up elsewhere.  But I would not die of shock if they resigned him.  

Not saying I WANT them to do that.  Just saying I wouldn't be surprised IF they did it.  

I also think that Haslett is back next year, at this point.  There are, once again, compelling arguments that somebody could make to convince themselves that he isn't the problem.  

And if Haslett is back, and Orakpo is cheaper, then he'll be back also.  

Hopefully I'm 0-2 on that.  But I'm not going to believe it until I see it.  

I really hope he unseats Perry forever. 

I don't think Haslett is back.  Gruden has already shown the willingness to bench starters.  I think he'd be willing to bench Haslett for the defensive showing.

I don't think Haslett is back.  Gruden has already shown the willingness to bench starters.  I think he'd be willing to bench Haslett for the defensive showing.

Yes, he's shown willingness to bench starters.  But he might also think that minus the starting NT, DB, now franchised OLB, missing a starting DE until this week, the state of the safety play, etc. that Haslett STILL hasn't gotten a fair chance, and that the players are just not able to execute the schemes. 

And IF you toss out the 21 points scored directly by turnover and ST, and count for the turnovers, the PPG given up is almost respectable, even given the injuries.

You see, if you wanted to make a case, you could.  I don't.  I wanted him gone last year.  But could see why they might want to give him another shot.

But would him sticking around again surprise me?  Not even a little.  I also think he's got nudy pics of Allen and Snyder or something, because that cat's got 9 lives around these parts. 

I would be FAR happier to see Orakpo back for 4-5 million over Haslett back.

I think Orakpo at 4-5 Million would actually be a solid contract.

I'm not sure he'll drop that far.  But with 3 torn pecs, .5 sacks in 7 games, in a contract year, he might.  

I wouldn't want him back regardless.  Time to move on.  They drafted Murphy.  Time for him to step up.  Spend that money on a pass rushing DE, or a OL. 

I just feel that negatively about Orakpo. Another physical freak who just doesn't make it work for him when it's time to shine. 

I'm probably projecting the Rob Jackson situation onto Murphy. When Brian went down in the past, I always thought Rob Jackson made us better. I know that shouldn't translate to Murphy but I just feel like Orakpo was indeed our most overrated defensive player.

I thought you were being sarcastic, but I sometimes forget not everyone gets to watch all the games (love game pass).  Next game go to wiziwig so you can watch with your own eyes, at this stage Murphy is less than the pre PED Jackson.

You see, if you wanted to make a case, you could.  I don't.  I wanted him gone last year.  But could see why they might want to give him another shot.

But would him sticking around again surprise me?  Not even a little.  I also think he's got nudy pics of Allen and Snyder or something, because that cat's got 9 lives around these parts. 

I think the problem with this is that Haslett's contract should run out this year.  I can imagine Bruce or Jay making that rationalization if he still had one or two years left, but are you going take that flier now after four years of Haslett's record here?  That's a much tougher sell.

I thought you were being sarcastic, but I sometimes forget not everyone gets to watch all the games (love game pass).  Next game go to wiziwig so you can watch with your own eyes, at this stage Murphy is less than the pre PED Jackson.

Definitely not being sarcastic. Orakpo is strong. That's it. He can push a lineman and he can wrap up a RB that hasn't hit his burst or made his cut yet. In college that made him famous but in the NFL he's sub-par. I've never seen anything noteworthy from Brian. 

I can't speak for what Murphy will bring but for some reason I think he'll show more field-savvy than Rak ever did. 

I think the problem with this is that Haslett's contract should run out this year.  I can imagine Bruce or Jay making that rationalization if he still had one or two years left, but are you going take that flier now after four years of Haslett's record here?  That's a much tougher sell.

I'm sure they'll give a handout to their buddy if they think they can get the fanbase to swallow it.  Imagine them giving him a multi-year deal at the end of this year.  Oh lord the riots.

See, I hope you're right.  But I'm not sure that you are.  I think that they could easily say, "look, we don't want to change the entire defense around, Haslett's doing a fine job, we've just got to get him more talent.  And he's been unlucky.  Let's give him a couple more years under the new directions."

I could see that argument playing out easily.  

Again, I'm REALLY hoping that I'm wrong.  But if I had to bet, right now, I think it's 60% that haslett comes back.  

I'm sure they'll give a handout to their buddy if they think they can get the fanbase to swallow it.  Imagine them giving him a multi-year deal at the end of this year.  Oh lord the riots.

And what will it matter?  Are people going to stop going to games because of Haslett? No.  They'll stop going to games if the team continues to lose.

And if they think that Haslett can help them win, they'll bit the bullet on the PR side, and just ride it out.  Shrug.

Again, I don't want this to happen.  but I really, really think he'll be extended.  

With Allen at the helm, I'm not counting out a return next year.

Hail.

Why? They are TB buds.

Now we'll see Trent Murphy and we'll see if he can be our future OLB in Brian Orakpos spot. I wont hold my breath though, haven't been too excited about what I've seen from Trent Murphy but then again he's a rookie. 

A rookie playing in reserve in 7 games.  

Eh.  I'm going to reserve judgement on Murphy. I don't like to judge rookies until the end of the year to see how much they've improved.

Which is why I really want to see them get Long and Moses some real snaps. 

The Compton at RT thing is nice, but the fact it's not Moses is irritating.  

I can't speak for what Murphy will bring but for some reason I think he'll show more field-savvy than Rak ever did. 

Maybe next season if he gets on the PEDs big time.  I've watched every game this season, and Murphy is not strong at the POA at all.  In all my years on ES I don't think I've ever been down on a rookie, until actually seeing Murphy play.  When we drafted him the lack of physical prowess (speed and strength) didn't worry me as I was reading how he wrestled steers etc growing up.  Unfortunately that appears to have been hyperbole 'cos the quarter pounder maccy D's I just ate would put Murphy on his butt.

Did you see the 1 hand star wars 'force push' their LT put Murphy down with last game?  Didn't look like he touched him and it wasn't even a punch, it was just an arm stuck out straight with neither guy moving forward much.

Maybe he can be good in coverage which is what we use our ROLB for most it seems, but pass rushing and run stopping are not his forte right now.

Makes me wonder about guys who do too much weightlifting. I'm aware it's a healthy part of training for most athletes. I just think some of these guys become "body builders" and it hurts them in the long run.

Perhaps.  That was Laron Landry's problem, in addition to banned substances.

Good guy, overrated/paid obviously.. Not sure if the development (or lack there of) was on him or the team? I've said before I don't think this team could develop film, much less NFL superstars though, so he has that going for him if he picks up with another team.. Wish him the best though.. Plenty of "real" trash on the roster to pick on!

Maybe a blessing in disguise.  Rak was not going to be back next year.  Bad football team that is going no where so now we can evaluate what we have at that position and know going into next year if we need someone else for that position.  I will say this.  I am not sure if it was his technique or what but that guy got held more without getting the call than any linebacker in football.  Football teams figured out they could hold him and get away with it and they did it a lot.  Dude literally had to be tacked to get a holding call.

Archived