Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

You also have to figure Kerrigan is not and never was a #1 pass rusher. he was brought here to compliment Orakpo, hoping the two would feed off one another. Orakpo never stepped up and got hurt all the time.

Now he gets to do that with Trent "Which way did he go" Murphy.

Junior Gallette would make a hell of a difference.

~Bang

What is this thread doing back here? He's not even a Redskins anymore.

At the time, letting him walk was the right move, no regrets. Dude, I can think of a couple Elite linebackers (which Orakpo isn't) that would have a less productive year with Trent Murphy opposite him. If Galette was playing and Kerrigan didn't have surgery then still "under-performing", ok, we can have this discussion.

I'm probably in the minority of people that believe as another poster put it that a big reason our linebacking core has been suffering is having to compensate for the secondary injuries. Now, they can focus more on what's in front of him, instead of equally what's behind them as well.

What makes you think he exists in a vacuum?

Again, his opposite end is Trent Murphy. Terence Knighton isn't playing and when he does, he's not effective.

It's not about "giving a pass".. that is an extremely narrow view of any player.

it's about "viewing the situation objectively."

Orakpo was given every chance, including another top draft pick spent on a complimentary end, and a franchise tag to prove it.

And he left, after failing to prove it.

Kerrigan was drafted to bring out the dominance Orakpo was drafted to provide as a top pass rushing end.

And now he's got Trent Murphy trying to do the same for him.

Murphy has a good play if he gets to the huddle on time.

~Bang

Orakpo has 4 games with 2 or less tackles, has batted down 2 passes all year, and has not forced a single fumble.  He did block a kick vs the Saints, so credit goes there.  But you can keep those 6 sacks if that is all he is doing.

I can't wait to see the Galette/Kerrigan combo.  Then it'll look like the way it should have been with Rak/Kerrigan.

Mularkey: Brian Orakpo 'game-wrecker' for Titans

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Nov. 18, 2015 at 11:52 a.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 18, 2015 at 01:32 p.m.

When Tennessee travels to Jacksonville for Thursday night's AFC South matchup -- airing exclusively on NFL Network -- the Jaguars will find a noticeably improved Titans defense under former Steelerscoordinator Dick LeBeau.

Defensive end Jurrell Casey remains one of the NFL's unsung superstars, joined this season by revitalized edge rusher Brian Orakpo.

TITANS AT JAGUARS

• "(Orakpo is) one of those guys that when opponents say, 'Who's a game-wrecker?' -- he's one of them," interim coach Mike Mularkey said, via the Tennessean. "Our defense has done a good job of scheming to try to get him some one-on-one matchups and move him around. Teams have struggled with that. He has been coming like that since day one, since he's been here."

In addition to six sacks, Orakpo leads the team with 20 quarterback pressures and eight tackles for a loss. With the former Redskins Pro Bowler leading the charge, the Titans sacked Cam Newton a season-high five times in last week's defeat to thePanthers.

"(Orakpo) was the kind of guy we needed in the offseason," linebacker Wesley Woodyard said, "and we went out and got him."

The Titans are on pace for 48 sacks, which would qualify as their most since the Jevon Kearse-led 2000 squad that lost to the Super Bowl championRavens in the playoffs.

"It gives the quarterbacks less time back there," safety Despite injuries to starting cornerbacks Jason McCourty and Perrish Cox, LeBeau's defense ranks 13th overall and eighth against the pass in Football Outsiders' efficiency ratings.

Just as Blake Bortles is leading the most explosive Jacksonville offense in years, the Jaguars will discover that Tennessee's defense is a stiffer test with Orakpo and Casey wreaking havoc behind the line of scrimmage.

I pulled this the other day am having a hard time refinding the link but its from this web site: http://www.nfl.com/

So the Titans defense improved with the addition of Orakpo? It also just so happens that the Redskins defense improved with the subtraction of Orakpo.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Rak to still be here, but it's at least reassuring that we haven't felt a gaping hole since his departure.

So kerrigan gets the benefit of the doubt (a pass) for this year?? His impact has been minimal this year, but agree he doesn't seem himself. Nothing has been reported though, maybe the media is giving him a pass this year as well. 

Kerrigan is still coming back from knee surgery he had in the offseason.

Knee surgery is not something you have, then get over it in a week like the flu.

It takes several months after knee surgery for the knee to feel the same. That is especially true for a pro football or basketball player.

Keep in mind, Kerrigan didn't play much, if any, in the preseason, if I remember. It was a close call if he was even going to be ready for the start of the season. It means he has had to use the regular season to get his legs back under him.

However, he is coming along, IMO. Every week, he is in the backfield more and more. Pressuring the QB, but not quite getting there in time. I think he'll do better as the season goes along.

Also, as Bang said, losing Gallette in the preseason hurt. It will be interesting to see those two together next season. :)

What makes you think he exists in a vacuum?

Again, his opposite end is Trent Murphy. Terence Knighton isn't playing and when he does, he's not effective.

It's not about "giving a pass".. that is an extremely narrow view of any player.

it's about "viewing the situation objectively."

Orakpo was given every chance, including another top draft pick spent on a complimentary end, and a franchise tag to prove it.

And he left, after failing to prove it.

Kerrigan was drafted to bring out the dominance Orakpo was drafted to provide as a top pass rushing end.

And now he's got Trent Murphy trying to do the same for him.

Murphy has a good play if he gets to the huddle on time.

~Bang

I like Kerrigan, but if he is so dependent on the talent around him and was only brought here as a OLB2, then they overpaid him. Now, you could make the case that they overpaid in order to begin retaining drafted players and to establish continuity and that's fine. But, it's still a little concerning that someone we're paying so much money to is not really earning it. 

Well, you pay for what he can do, not hat he's done. Frankly, i'm a little concerned about this year in situations where he seems hurt, or misses what seems to be open plays.

~Bang

Makes sense. I just think that we have to look honestly at this situation. Either he's being overpaid in a supporting role (the team's mistake, not his fault) or he's underachieving as "the guy" on this defense (more on him). If it's completely circumstantial and all related to health, etc. then hopefully things improve next year. 

So kerrigan gets the benefit of the doubt (a pass) for this year?? His impact has been minimal this year, but agree he doesn't seem himself. Nothing has been reported though, maybe the media is giving him a pass this year as well. 

Kerrigan has EARNED the benefit of the doubt with several excellent seasons of play. Plus, he's coming off knee surgery and also playing with a broken hand.

Orakpo was given every chance and ultimately failed.

That is the difference.

Yeah he's been pretty quiet. Almost always gets close, but not close enough. He's obviously not a year in year out double digit sack talent, more like in that 7.5-9 range. He also doesnt seem as active in the rush lanes, disrupting the short passing game as much as he used to. Last year was his best year, coincidentally his contract year.

He may be hurt, he may not be. Ultimately, it's irrelevant, he got paid and he's not delivering the goods. You hoped that he turned the corner at the end if last year, but he seems like the same "try hard guy" that he's largely always been. Very good player that can make a play every now and then to change the game, but not on a weekly basis.

Well, he's on TV now doing nothing if ya'll want to see what ya'll are missing. Boy howdy.

He's got a sack and forced a fumble so far. Not too shabby.

91 sure did struggle without 98 on the other side like the 98 fanboys predicted. Too funny.

Yeah....about that...

Rak is a good player, but wasn't worth paying big bucks to. He's had significant injuries and wasn't really producing at that high of a level. He's really not an impact, game changing player. I think a healthy Kerrigan is a better player and more deserving of long term money. Of course Kerrigan still hasn't recovered from that off season surgery.

I think the oddest thing is Redskins fans pick out a guy and target him for all the franchises woes. 

It was Chris Cooley it Was Brian Orakpo, it was RGIII. But the same loud voices who trashed those players are oddly silent. 

I love Ryan Kerrigan (as he is a Redskin) but he is not the player Orakpo was at his best. He is very poor in setting the edge against the run not great in pass coverage and ALWAYS disappears from week 3 to week 15 in seasons with a 'niggle'. He will pad out his stats towards the end of the season in meaningless games. 

Not to say we overpaid though - I think he never gives up his motor is still very impressive and never wants to be off the field. He is a good guy and never says anything controversial... and there in is the difference.

Orakpo, RGIII, Cooley all big personalities and when they wear their heart on their sleeves and tell people of their aspirations when we are loosing a portion of the fan base doesn't like it - they want their football players to look a certain way, talk a certain way and how they play becomes secondary.  

Archived