Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need My Fellow Pet Owners Advice. Very Serious Advice. Especially You Huly.Update= :(

KingGibbs

Hey guys. I'm facing that dreaded decision. That decision being the one that no pet owners want to make.

I have a :Lab (Gambler) that will be 14 yrs old this Friday. He has had a wonderful and fulfilled life and has been my shadow.

For a couple of years now he has been dealing with arthritis in his hips. It has gotten to the point where he pretty much needs help getting up. He is able to get up on his front legs and needs his rear legs lifted. The biggest issue we are having now is his fecal incontinence. It happens 3 or 4 times a week and it is why we have to keep him in the kitchen at night due to the wood floors being a saving grace. We also put his therapeutic bed in the kitchen, so he's not just laying on the hard surface.:)

I've always said that I would NEVER put him down because he is an "inconveinence" and I stand by that today. It is a hard decision for me because he does still go on two walks daily (albeit very slow) his eating and drinking habits remain the same and the hardest part for me is seeing that tail wag like it always has.

I would appreciate if this thread be taken seriously and I would like honest answers from pet owners and pet owners only. What would you do?

BTW. Wifey thinks it's time so there is a little tension there.

Update: Well guys. The time has come for my best friend. He's tired and ready to go home. His appointment is this Friday at 10:00. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions these last few days. There are times when I look at him and say "It's time buddy." There are times where I lay on the floor with him and just sob. This is harder then I ever could've imagined.

Mybuddy_zps58bc53fe.jpg

Well you are correct in not doing it because the dog has become an inconvenience. The question is, is the dog suffering? Does the arthritis in the hips cause him constant pain? Is he a proud dog that is embarrassed by his incontinence? 14 years is pretty old for a lab (average life span for that type of dog is 10-12 years). I'd lean towards putting him down, as hard as that may be.

it is hard, but sometimes it's just time.

I had to do it with my old Spaniel OhNo. he wasn't making a mess, but his pain was obvious, he was blind, had a collapsed lung, wasn't eating.. it wasn't that he was an inconvenience,,it just got to the point where his quality of life was rapidly getting worse.

I think that needs to be considered.

~Bang

Well you are correct in not doing it because the dog has become an inconvenience. The question is, is the dog suffering? Does the arthritis in the hips cause him constant pain? Is he a proud dog that is embarrassed by his incontinence? 14 years is pretty old for a lab (average life span for that type of dog is 10-12 years). I'd lean towards putting him down, as hard as that may be.

Here's the problem China. We all have different definitions when it comes to suffering. Is he in pain? He doesn't show it. Discomfort? I'm certain.

Bang. His appettie is the same as it ever was. That's part of making it a tough decision.

Well I'm a former pet owner and I've vowed never to own another just because I dread having to make this decision again. As much as I hate to say it I think the best option is to put him down, if he can barely stand the poor guys quality of life isn't very good.

Good luck on your decision.

Its all about the suffering man. If he is not suffering, then by no means pull the trigger (but obviously you know that). If the Vet tells you that there is a possiblity he is suffering or that he flat out is miserable, then I would do the deed that none of us wanted to or want to do. Its a hard thing, even when you know they are suffering cause they are family. My uncle had a golden retriever that got into the same boat as your pup, poor thing could hardly move. They had to put him down when they learned he was suffering. My dad thought they waited too long and he thought the dog was suffering longer than he should have. Good luck my man, I cringed when I read the initial post, it brings back those horrible memories of having to make that decision over the years for our pets.

It's the hardest decision I've ever had to make... and I've only had to make it once.

I felt horrible leading up to the moment. I was very in denial of the situation but knew it was inevitable. I have no regrets and I feel it was what was best for my pet. I had no idea of the agony he may have been in with the tumor on his liver. The vet said that he was very uncomfortable and that there was nothing that would fix the situation, even surgery. Surgery would have extended his life maybe 90 days but they would not be fulfilling days. Those 3 months would have been very painful for him.

All I can say is, follow your heart. And I'm sure you know what the best decision will be. The hardest part for me was wondering if I was wrong. My vet was a sweetheart and she asked me to think long and hard about what I would decide to do. I think the most striking thing she asked me was, "Remember to ask yourself if you are deciding to keep him alive for you... or for him." That hit home for me a lot and I realized there was nothing I could do for him to ease his pain and that by keeping him alive, he would only get worse and be in even more pain.

The last few days I was with my pet leading up to the day was very emotional but very special and personally therapeutic. Despite how badly I felt, I'm confident that the decision was a dignified, honorable exit from this world.

Ugh, truly a tough decison KG and one which all dog lovers have to make at some point. I had a business associate pose it this way some time back and while rough, I find it to be true: At a certain point you're keeping the dog alive FOR YOU and not for the dog. Of course the difficulty is when has that time been reached. Sound like your pooch has lived a great life.

If he needs help just getting up then it's time to put him down. The fact that he's 14 is incredible for a dog of that size, most of them live around 9 to 11 years. I know it's difficult, but it's the most humane thing to do for your best friend. It's not going to be easy, but you'll always have the memories that he's given you, and you don't want him to deteriorate and turn into a shell of himself in front of you, that's even harder to watch.

I've watched three of my animals do that (2 dogs and 1 cat) where my parents waited too long to put them down and it's heartbreaking to watch them suffer day in and day out. It sounds to me like you know what you need to do just by creating this thread, but you're holding onto any hope that he may get better, but that isn't going to be the case. Good luck in your decision and I know it's hard to let a family member go, but it's usually the correct decision.

Let me reiterate that once he's helped up he walks fine (well, old guy fine) and he get's his morning and nightly walks. My wife biggest concern is the incontinence

If the biggest concern is incontinence, then don't put him down. Get doggie diapers if you have to - we did that for 2 years with our beagle before she passed.

When the biggest concern becomes pain and suffering, that's when you have to make the best decision for your dog. Are you giving him any kind of supplement like Bimini or glucosamine? Think of the 50-50 rule...if more than half his days are good, it's probably too soon.

When my mama bear had to be put down because her spine couldn't handle her big ass anymore, she was obviously upset that she was not in complete control of her bowls anymore and when she fell over, it looked like she was going to cry. It was the right thing.

You're the only one who knows when the time is right. I'm truly sorry my friend.

I feel your pain, KG.

A few years ago we had a cat that was almost 19 years old and was fading fast. We took her to the Vet and she suggested to put her down because Chessie was suffering and nothing could be done.

We did put her down that day at the Vet and it was a very emotional decision to make.

I feel we did the right thing.

Last year her sister who was almost 22 years old was fading fast, but this time the wife refused to put her down. We went about 10 days after that of watching her suffer until the end that I never want to go through that again.

My advice is if he is suffering and nothing can be done, it will be best for you and your dog if he is put down.

Man I am not sure what to tell you except that you will know in your heart what is best. If the dog is having some issues getting up, what's is his/her weight at? Once he/she is up, then how is the activity? ( I wonder about the hips)

You said there is no problem with appetite, so that's a good sign. Doggy diapers are an option, and one to consider.

Hang in there and I think you will find the right answer.

Hi honey! This is one of the hardest decisions you will ever make. You are the only one that knows your dog and you are the only one that can decide this. I promised all of my furkids that I would never put them through more than they could handle for my own selfish reasons.

First off- what is Gambler eating, is he on any supplements, Are there any other issues?

Supplement wise- I reccomend Wholistic Pet Canine Complete or Run Free

http://www.thewholisticpet.com/products/canine-product-line/joint-support.html/

and Wholistic Ester C

http://www.k9power.com/wholistic-pet-organics/wholistic-ester-c.html

Here is an example of something I would NOT do to my kids.

Huly- has a growth on his bottom gum. Not sure if it is cancer or not. If it gets bigger my holistic vet will remove tumor only. The emergency vet stated half his bottom jaw would need to be removed and put him through Chemo.

NO! I would let him go when it got to much to handle and would not do either of those to him. Y'all all know how much I love Huly just look at my name here.

Sadie- 15 year old Basset has a foot issue. One toe is completely swollen. Will not put her under for any surgery and we are treating the sore/ infection between toes with honey. Refuse chemo if anything cancer.

Oh my Chelsea! The love of my life! Shepherd Rotti Mix that I lost at 14. She was my BFF! She had hip dysplasia but we treated it with herbs and vitamins instead of surgery. She got weak as she got older but was still full of life. She could get up on her own (just slow) did have to potty more but she was happy. Instead at 14 she got a tumor on her tongue and I had to let her go. Food was her favorite activity it was better to let her go!

The hardest was my Sharpei Rip. He got dementia or alzheimers. When he was young he was trained to be HIGHLY aggressive. I untrained him. As the mental issues set in he did not know who I was at times and was turning aggressive. There were good days then there were bad days. Physically he was pewrfect! All mental. Every good day gave me hope but I had to let him go for mine and Chelsea's safety and towards the end he would even cry as he didn't know where he was. I think I waited too long on this one.

As you can see on you can decide if your baby is happy. I can not make that decision for you. I will keep you both in my prayers though

Hey guys. I'm facing that dreaded decision. That decision being the one that no pet owners want to make.

I have a :Lab (Gambler) that will be 14 yrs old this Friday. He has had a wonderful and fulfilled life and has been my shadow.

For a couple of years now he has been dealing with arthritis in his hips. It has gotten to the point where he pretty much needs help getting up. He is able to get up on his front legs and needs his rear legs lifted. The biggest issue we are having now is his fecal incontinence. It happens 3 or 4 times a week and it is why we have to keep him in the kitchen at night due to the wood floors being a saving grace. We also put his therapeutic bed in the kitchen, so he's not just laying on the hard surface.:)

I've always said that I would NEVER put him down because he is an "inconvenience" and I stand by that today. It is a hard decision for me because he does still go on two walks daily (albeit very slow) his eating and drinking habits remain the same and the hardest part for me is seeing that tail wag like it always has.

I would appreciate if this thread be taken seriously and I would like honest answers from pet owners and pet owners only. What would you do?

BTW. Wifey thinks it's time so there is a little tension there.

I've been in that situation a couple of times in recent years, so I know how you feel. :(

If he is still eating, and shows desire to do things, as my cats did, I kept feeding them. When they got to the point where they were off their feed, and showed no interest in anything, I knew it was time.

I've been in that situation a couple of times in recent years, so I know how you feel. :(

If he is still eating, and shows desire to do things, as my cats did, I kept feeding them. When they got to the point where they were off their feed, and showed no interest in anything, I knew it was time.

I would really agree with this.

I still remember holding a bowl of scrambled eggs up to my dogs mouth the day we put him down. He looked at it, looked at me, and just kind of looked away. He knew, I knew. And I immediately started crying. He had this stoic look on his face which made it even worse.

Dogs with bad wheels are really hard to diagnose. Is he in pain? Tough to tell. You have to figure out if this is for him or for you. Did the vet give you any guidance? Our vet, the night before we put our dog down, stared in his eyes and told us it was time. But she said that it was ultimately our decision. He could have lived longer, but we knew it was time.

My wife still cries thinking about it: "But he didn't want to leave us. He wanted to be near us." And it's been over 10 years.

It's freaking sad. And hard to do. But it's gotta be what's best for your dog. It's tough but do what you (and your wife) think is best.

Peace

laborday-tootsie9-8-2011347.jpg

My Tootsie Roll on her last day, she was fourteen as well. Bad hips from day one, but just the smartest and sweetest dog anyone had known. Trained with all hand commands, swam and ran until she could no longer get up, just as you described. I knew one day when I went to help her up to go out and she winced. She was in pain and my selfishness could no longer overcome what was the right thing to do. I feed her a quarter pounder meal right before this pic, and then left for the vet. I miss this dog so much, she was my shadow, she drank beer and begged for cigar smoke. I have gotten another chocolate lab pup, and she is great, but no dog can ever replace my tootsie roll. I feel you.

If he is still eating good, going on walks and doing whatever else he does with you guys, don't do it. Remember, he's loved you unconditionally so think it all through, don't rush to judgement and talk to your vet about possible solutions.

I don't have anything to add to all of the good advice you've already gotten. However, my thoughts are with you and your pup. My boy turns 4 next month and I'm almost tearing up reading this. Time seems to fly and I really dread the day I have to consider something like this. Hang in there man.

I would say pain is the deciding factor. If the dog needs some help getting to his feet but is fine at the point' date=' I don't think I could do it. There are ways to work around that and maintain a pretty high quality of life.[/quote']

That's what I would go with.

Man, I feel for you Gibbs. Back when I was in the Marines we had a yellow lab. When we moved the house we were moving into didn't allow pets, so we had to give him away (found a good guy who could take awesome care of him). It was one of the harder things I had to do, but because I knew the guy and knew Scout would be in good hands, that made it easier. My daughter will occasionally ask about him and wonder if we can go back and see him. I can't imagine what you're going through. When I pay off my truck I'm going to think long and hard about getting another one.

Archived