Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need My Fellow Pet Owners Advice. Very Serious Advice. Especially You Huly.Update= :(

KingGibbs

Sorry you're going through this, KG. I had to put two cats (13&17) to sleep last fall within a month of each other, and I thought I was gonna go myself. I kept Guinness going a little too long, and he suffered through me giving him fluid injections under his skin twice a day...at the time, my thoughts were, "I'll do anything", when I should've known that he was ready.

But if Gambler's still eating and drinking, and his tail's still wagging, I'd hold off. Like Huly said, a joint supplement might help, like Dasaquin(don't think I spelled it right, but 1800PetMeds has it for sure). There are "pet wipes" too, for cleaning him up if you decide to go with the doggie diapers to keep that one "symptom" at bay.

You're all in my prayers.

Just heartbreaking KG, but every pet owner knows this is part of the deal, the years of love and loyalty they give us so willingly is in return for doing for them what they can't do themselves. I can only echo what others have already said, make your decision based on what is best for your furry friend. That may mean taking other measures to accommodate his infirmities and mollify your spouse, but so be it. He has already paid for all of that in advance.

When the day finally does come, try to make it special, share any memories you can with him, give him all the love you won't be able to later. It may help you a little after the fact as well.

Its very sad. I still remember the day my dad made the decision to put down our Australian Shepard. I grew up with her and was the one who convinced my family to get her from the shelter. She couldn't go up and down stairs by the end. I think she was suffering pretty bad, so it was the right thing to do.

I would say pain is the deciding factor. If the dog needs some help getting to his feet but is fine at the point' date=' I don't think I could do it. There are ways to work around that and maintain a pretty high quality of life.[/quote']

Absolutely Lkb, I have had to put two great dogs down, and it was after I realized they were in pain to the touch and had that look in their eyes that they were in pain. I didn't want to dope my dogs, they were already pretty much inactive for awhile at that point. And I just felt it honestly is more about you having them then them living in pain with no hope for a healing. Old age happens and fortunately as difficult as it is putting down a dog is better than having them just suffer until the end.

My moms golden retriever basically had the exact same symptoms as your dog. My mom got the dog this harness thing with a handle on the back strap. When the dog wanted to get up she would grab the handle and pull up to help the dog stand up. It works great and the dog didn't mind wearing the harness or being helped up. The dog also took tramadol for pain. My moms dog lived for 3 more years. I would definitely get the lifting harness for your dog. As long as you don't think your dog is suffering with pain or refuses to eat I don't think it should be put down. Good luck and thoughts and prayers sent your way.

I want to thank all of you that responded. After taking the time and weighing the options I've decided that as long as he is showing no signs of obvious pain, eating and able to assume his daily walks I am letting him continue to go on. He still gets excited when I grab the leash. Another indication that he wanys to stick aeound.

To answer some questions:

I feed him Buffalo Blue's Senior Formula which has aglucosamine amongst other beneficial ingredients. He was on Novox whichis the generic version of Rimadyl. I took him off of it a month ago because I felt it was severely upsetting his stomach. He hasn't suffered any setbacks pain wise since taking him off.

Like some of you have said. I'll know when the time comes. Now is not the time.

Again, thanks so much for your input. It really helped.

I want to thank all of you that responded. After taking the time and weighing the options I've decided that as long as he is showing no signs of obvious pain, eating and able to assume his daily walks I am letting him continue to go on. He still gets excited when I grab the leash. Another indication that he wanys to stick aeound.

To answer some questions:

I feed him Buffalo Blue's Senior Formula which has aglucosamine amongst other beneficial ingredients. He was on Novox whichis the generic version of Rimadyl. I took him off of it a month ago because I felt it was severely upsetting his stomach. He hasn't suffered any setbacks pain wise since taking him off.

Like some of you have said. I'll know when the time comes. Now is not the time.

Again, thanks so much for your input. It really helped.

I am glad you are working it out! It is all about that dog's quality of life and every dog is different. I would still add a little more glucosamine and chondriton and or Vitamin C. I give Sadie these (and extra supplements) with her old joints and it helps :)

http://www.petco.com/product/109501/Dogswell-Happy-Hips-Dog-Treats.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/107189/Zukes-Hip-Action-Glucosamine-And-Chondroitin-Dog-Treats.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I want to thank all of you that responded. After taking the time and weighing the options I've decided that as long as he is showing no signs of obvious pain, eating and able to assume his daily walks I am letting him continue to go on. He still gets excited when I grab the leash. Another indication that he wanys to stick aeound..

that's the way to go man ...

got an 13 year pit bull mix ... love of my life. she's starting have trouble walking and it could be an ear infection or worse, brain cancer/tumor. she still prances around and pounces on her stuffed animals ... the enthusiasm is there like your pup, so life is still good.

great call ...

as far as food goes ...what do you guys think of homemade raw beef dog food like this:

http://www.dinovite.com/blog/2012/07/homemade-dog-food-recipe-making-a-simple-raw-dog-food/

I read this on another site about making this type of choice. Really touched me. Not my words but wanted to share. Not sure how this site censors things so I apologize. I hope it does automatically. Good choice OP and best of luck.

Let's go for a ride, Spot. We'll go for a ride and drive slowly through the park. I know you're not feeling up to chasing the ball these days, and that's okay. You're not letting me down, boy. It's really okay; I don't even like throwing the ball. No, I mean, I liked throwing the ball...but just I don't anymore. Oh, **** it. It's okay, Spot. It's really okay.

I've noticed you've liked sleeping a lot these days. And yesterday you wanted to sleep even more than you wanted to eat. And that's okay, Spot. I'm really, really not upset. I'm not mad at you for not eating the hamburger meat last night. If you're not hungry, you're not hungry. I'm not upset with you, really. I just want you to do things that you want to do. And you like to sleep now. And that's okay. That's really okay with me. I'm okay with that. I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay.

We're going to go for a ride and then we're going to go take a long nap. You're going to forget about your arthritis and the cancer and all this ****. You'll feel so much better, so relaxed. And I'll be there with you. We're just going to take a long nap together. And it's going to be okay, Spot. It's going to be okay.

It's good that you're taking the time to ask and not make a rash decision. Like others have said, it is nice to hear of a Lab making it to 14. Also, like others have said, you'll know when it is time.

My next door neighbor had to put down his best friend the middle of last week. I am thankful that he took the time to call me beforehand so that I could say goodbye to the poor fella. I couldn't have asked for a better canine neighbor over the last 10 years.

I wish you the best of luck in the coming months. It's a tough decision/act but one that you'll ultimately do because he is your friend.

This is a timely thread for my family. We have a 13 yr old shephard/lab mix who has just recently started having hip problems. I have to help him up and carry him up and down steps. His personality hasnt changed as far as I can tell and he doesnt seem to be in extreme pain.....more frustrated than anything else.

I have started giving him a half pill of glucosamine every morning, not sure if it is helping but it gives my family a small piece of mind. My friend gave his dog cortizone shots at the vet but he said they only provide about 1-2 weeks of relief, so I just cant justify doing that.

The hardest part is explaining Rudy's situation to my kids. They are having a hard time dealing with his condition.

I just feel that he will let me know when it is time.........

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear this KG. As a dog lover/owner myself this is indeed a difficult decision. You are doing the right thing IMO although that doesn't make it any easier. Just remember the 14 great years you had with Gambler.

I know what you're going through. Three days short of her 14th birthday, our Lab Kiwi (my first dog) passed away last Monday. Over the weekend, we decided to put her down when it was obvious that she was having trouble breathing. Monday morning while we were waiting for the vet to open, she passed away at home in her bed. I'm thankful for not having to go through with having her put down. Hang in there KG.

Kiwi1999_zps9825ab88.jpg

Kiwi2013_zpsbc497177.jpg

I had a similar situation with my golden retriever back in 06, just before her 10th birthday. it stated with her having trouble with her back legs which led to a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. I cared for her for several months and towards the end she could not stand on her own, I had to carry her outside and hold her up to use the bathroom. The worst part was she would still wag her tail when she saw you, never complained and still loved to lay there and just get petted and spend time with her people. Mentally she was still there but her body was failing her. I still feel guilt for having made the decision despite the fact she couldn't even stand on her own at the end, there's no easy way to do it and you don't always know when it's time. I'm sorry you're having to go through this, kg. All the best to you and your family.

This is tough for me to see right now as well. My Pit/Basenji mix is 12 1/2 and has just recently gone completely blind basically overnight. Plus she has arthritis and has trouble getting up. She can still do it but very slowly. I hate seeing her bumping into things and tentatively feeling her way around the house. She was the best frisbee dog ever and it hurts knowing she will never be able to play frisbee again in this life. I know the day will come soon when I have to make that decision whether to let her continue to suffer or to set her free but I know it will destroy me to have to do it.

Anyway KG, I'm sorry for your loss. It's a terrible loss and I hope Gambler is at peace.

Archived