Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

Two 3rds is not a steep price for someone young and proven, who was drafted in the 1st a couple years ago and exceeded expectations. .

Yeah, if you ignore health issues, cap cost and attitude issues it sounds great. Of course, we could make lots of trades sound great if we ignore the downside to them.

Regarding cap space, are other teams unable to pay for two good WRs? Harvin isn't going to get $10m/year I wouldnt think. Especially if we part ways with Moss, we'd have little issue paying him.

None of that changes the fact that it would be a significant cap outlay, which is part of what makes the potential price for Harvin pretty steep. And "little issue paying him" is a pretty meaningless statement. We would have little issue paying Rex Grossman 50 mil over 5 years if we wanted to, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

The cost is the trade price AND the cap price, Justifying one or the other in a vacuum doesn't justify paying both. Especially when you have to ignore the negatives to do so.

---------- Post added February-10th-2013 at 08:40 PM ----------

Twitter saying:

"ECStoner: Wow. MT @SteveBateman99: Talk in Minnesota says Percy Harvin can leave for a 2nd and 4th round pick."

--http://twitter.com/ECStoner/status/300769183501791233

I personally would rather draft the next harvin, guys like a ace sanders, archer or ellington...

edit I see archer has decided to return to kent st but there are rb/wr combo types in this draft lets get our own!

I mean, you might be able to move up in the 2nd far enough to get Tavon Austin, who could end up being as good without being a potential cancer. And you can sign a star level player for the money you'd save.

I think his injury problems stem from Minnesota over-using him so much each season. On the Redskins he would be in a specific role and would not be over-used as we have other playmakers, thus the injury concern would reduce.

If you're the return man, go to receiver, and used on screens and gadget plays multiple times each game, every single season, then you're at a much greater risk for injury due to overusage and the amount of tackles and hits you're facing.

For the right price, he'd be worth it. Harvin would be phenomenal in our system, especially with RG3 throwing to him and having Garcon as a complementing receiver.

None of that has anything to do with his migraines that keep him out of an average of three games a season.

Twitter saying:

"ECStoner: Wow. MT @SteveBateman99: Talk in Minnesota says Percy Harvin can leave for a 2nd and 4th round pick."

--http://twitter.com/ECStoner/status/300769183501791233

That should close the thread. That's way too much for Harvin, with his salary. Unless they want to throw in AJ Jefferson.

...Okay.

1.) We don't have enough ammunition to get him over some other team. People talking about a couple thirds or fourths or whatever can just cut that out. The Vikings are looking for a second round pick for the guy, potentially more than that. And there will be teams that have better draft position than we have who will be more willing to pay that price.

2.) He's on the last year of his rookie deal. Even though our cap penalty will be gone in 2014, the salary cap is going to stay flat, and we might still have to deal with cap issues because we might have to push money in 2014 to sign anyone we want to sign now. And half the reason Harvin is being a douche right now is because he wants big money. Now whether he deserves it or not is a matter of opinion, but if he does not work out here, or he wants a contract that is cost prohibitive, then essentially you just blew a second round pick for a guy you got on a one year rental.

3.) There are a lot of receivers that are a lot cheaper. "Proven" or not (and honestly, that's one of the silliest arguments against just using a second round pick on a wide receiver we could develop on our own.)

4.) Percy Harvin's injury history is a GIANT red flag. His intermittent problems with migranes, frequent tweaks, knicks and bruuises, a couple stints on IR. It doesn't matter how explosive someone has the potential to be if they can't stay on the field and play, which is what makes it so silly that Harvin was complaining about the Vikings not putting him on the field more. When you have issues with health (not to mention when you're guying off alll the time and acting like a headcase), you're going to get the ball less.

5.) The aforementioned "head case" thing. It's the exact opposite of the kind of player Mike Shanahan has tried to sign other than maybe Donovan, and we all saw how that ill-conceived trade went. He's not getting traded because the Vikings see incredible value on him, they're trading him because he's an injury prone head case who has been causing trouble for them since the open of training camp last season. He gets into it with the front office, he gets into it with the coaches when he doesn't get the ball. Yeah, he's talented, but I'd rather he was someone else's potential headache and that we could building our team the way we are now, and ironically enough, the same way many of the same people who say we should build through the draft and with smart, cheap signings in free agency are now abandoning and advocating to trade for this guy.

Why do we want this guy on our football team?

None of that has anything to do with his migraines that keep him out of an average of three games a season.

He missed one game in 09 and 2 games in 2010 due to migrains. Thats it. He didn't miss a game in 2011 and missed 7 last year due to his ankle injury. I don't see where the baseless injury concerns questions come from.

While I don't believe we "need" another WR or even another playmaker in general, it would make us that much more potent offensively. Right now, the pistol offense is one of the toughest in the NFL to defend, but the idea might be that, with Harvin on board, the pistol will virtually be unstoppable. If our coaches view it that way it doesn't matter if it's a "luxury" or not, we should put in our bid. It might mean a championship.

Look, in the past we've gotten so used to having so many holes all over the team while our FO made the moronic decision of going all out on a couple of guys via FA (as if that's all we needed) that we're all extremely paranoid about thinking in such a manner.

But, for the first time in decades, the Redskins roster IS A FEW PIECES AWAY.

In my opinion, we only NEED a stud FS and another above average CB (who may be on this team as it stands with Minnifield and Crawford, or can be found through the draft). Other than that, what do we really need? Some may argue a solid RT, but our Oline was able to do some great things this year even with that weak link. Whether or not you consider that a need, however, doesn't change the fact that it still is only a few pieces.

So, with that said, if there is a guy out there who can really make our offense an absolute monster that can put up historical numbers, it's time for us to not mind paying up. We might win a Super Bowl with that guy as long as he doesn't hamper us from shoring up our needs. If Harvin costs us so much that we can't get the above players I just mentioned (like a 2nd or a 3rd in the draft and/or his salary is too difficult to work around), then no. But, if he doesn't and our coaches believe he is that type of a guy, we should absolutely bring him in. The guy is a beast and a threat to go all the way on every play no matter where he is lined up. Defense's had trouble defending our offense with only Garcon being that guy. Some might say Aldrick Robinson was another, but I'd disagree. Defense's knew he wasn't going to catch a screen or quick slant and take it all the way. Imagine Garcon and our other WRs lined up with Harvin and Morris in the backfield with Robert in the pistol.

Now, maybe our coaches feel like Robinson can turn into a better all around player and be that guy. If that's the case, we definitely shouldn't give up anything for Harvin. But, if the conditions I mentioned above are met, I think we're just being paranoid Redskin fans that are used to getting owned on these type of deals by being against it. :)

I was interested when the cost was still up in the air, but them wanting a 2nd and a 4th puts him WAY out of our price range. Case closed.

Back to the drawing board on WR. There should be some solid talent in the 3rd and 4th round, and maybe even extending into the 5th, if we're so inclined. Obviously not at Harvin's level, but definitely solid.

I was interested when the cost was still up in the air, but them wanting a 2nd and a 4th puts him WAY out of our price range. Case closed.

Back to the drawing board on WR. There should be some solid talent in the 3rd and 4th round, and maybe even extending into the 5th, if we're so inclined. Obviously not at Harvin's level, but definitely solid.

Damn, a 2nd and a 4th? Welp, I wish I knew that before writing everything I just did a couple posts above, lol. Pass. We absolutely need that 2nd.

He would be a playmaker on any offense. Other teams have more leverage in terms of cap space and draft picks. Every other team would gladly pick him up for the right price. It might be a nice thought to keep people occupied until Combine/ Free Agency, but I think we will keep out of this.

Pro's: the man has significant talent, like "break the game open" talent

Cons: salary demands, injury questions (Migraines, Ankle) & now the negative locker room stuff

From my viewpoint: 1) we cannot afford him & 2) Shanny worked hard to clean the locker room up.

Talent or not, I bet we steer clear of this.

But, if the conditions I mentioned above are met, I think we're just being paranoid Redskin fans that are used to getting owned on these type of deals by being against it. :)

The man has lingering injury issues, he's yelled at two head coaches and members of a coaching staff, and he lost the support of his fellow players in the process.

If Vinny were still the GM, people would be begging to NOT trade for him.

Some guys aren't worth the hassle.

No one has stopped to think "Why would the Vikings want to trade the tremendously talented player who is the best wide receiver on their team"? That's not a giant red flag that's been doused is gasoline and set on fire?

Not saying I'm for the move but I think the "headcase" label for Percy is kinda overblown.

Any great player who doesn't get the ball is gonna get pissed. Any great player that has a contract dispute is gonna get pissed as well. That isn't being a "cancer" IMO.

The injury thing is way more concerning

I don't think it's overblown at all. He's had personal issues with two different coaching staffs. He had 60+ catches in 8 starts (9 total games) last season so I don't think there is any validity to him not getting targeted enough.

His migraines seemed to disappear after Childress left which makes could make one wonder how legitimate they really were and how much of it was a Randy Moss type "I practice when I want to" situation.

Percy Harvin the player I would trade for. The person, not so much.

I think our team has come too far and our resources are too limited to risk dumping picks and money into a guy that could be a problem child.

I don't think it's overblown at all. He's had personal issues with two different coaching staffs. He had 60+ catches in 8 starts (9 total games) last season so I don't think there is any validity to him not getting targeted enough.

His migraines seemed to disappear after Childress left which makes could make one wonder how legitimate they really were and how much of it was a Randy Moss type "I practice when I want to" situation.

Percy Harvin the player I would trade for. The person, not so much.

I think our team has come too far and our resources are too limited to risk dumping picks and money into a guy that could be a problem child.

He had 62 catches on 84 targets and an additional 22 attempts on the ground. All together they tried to get Harvin the ball 106 in the games he was healthy and played in. He averaged 6 catches a game. Any claims that he "wasn't getting the ball enough" are bull. Him and AP were basically that whole offense.

Apparently the times he yelled at the coaches were over the results to MRIs and not being allowed to play, which still doesn't speak well to his ability to deal with adversity.

Damn, a 2nd and a 4th? Welp, I wish I knew that before writing everything I just did a couple posts above, lol. Pass. We absolutely need that 2nd.

Haha, it is a steep price. Of course I'm betting the asking price was leaked to try set the market. Even so, the cards would have to fall just right for me to consider him. But Lord, he's a heck of a player.

If he could be had straight up for a 2nd, and agreed to a contract extension, I'd jump all over it.

As it is, he'll probably go for more than that and he'll probably extort whatever team he goes to for a ridiculous contract, which we're trying to stay away from (hopefully) until RG3 requires one.

Not that he doesn't deserve the huge contract. He'd instantly make us favorites to go deep into the playoffs with this offense, assuming RG3 returns mostly healthy. His greatest asset is one of the things Shanahan values most in a WR--his YAC ability. He'd make our offense an unstoppable juggernaut.

But its most likely a pipe dream, as he'll cost too much in draft picks and cap space, and he might not even be a fit for what we want in a FA, personality-wise.

Somebody is going to get a hell of a player though.

Not saying we should get him but it's worth considering because of the benefit he can bring to our team. It looks like it might be too steep a price.

However, if we are going BPA there is a good chance we may end up taking a WR in the 2nd anyway. There is about 10% chance whoever we draft can give us the production and versatility at WR Harvin can. Maybe a 2nd and Hankerson would do it I don't know if we want to do that either I'm just saying, it is worth exploring and I really hope MS and BA look into it.

Would hate to see him go somewhere else for somethig we could have had. Also, we have built a great locker room full of high character guys and strong leaders. Harvin grew up with Urban Meyer Florida gators who notoriously had no rules and structures and walked into the NFL seeing Favre walk all over the Vikings. Our locker room could be just what he needs.

I guess one refreshing thing we've learned here is that when you're a good, division winning, playoff team, you don't have that: A-bad team desperate to get better attitude, and B-higher draft picks that are worth more to other teams in trades.

It's REALLY nice to know that, with the exception of a big trade up for RG3 (Kerrigan was actually a trade DOWN), this team can truly be built through any round in the draft. This is why I really covet draft picks now, I don't want your guy for some of our picks. We do things with our picks.

Still, Harvin is intriguing, I have to say. If there's anyone I trust with a unique skillset like Percy Harvin, it's Shannahan and Son, especially with what they're doing lately. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened, I just think our offense is strong regardless, and no matter how good we are at drafting, most possibilities need to be made for DBs.

Archived