Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

Pass. I understand what he could bring to the offense and I want that. What I don't want are the side issues that come with him. He's from where I live and even though I'm not from here and don't know him personally, I've run into enough people who have to understand that his attitude problems started a long time before he went to Gainesville. Those issues started so early that I don't think any amount of coaching or locker room mentoring will ever straighten him out. We need to realize that he is not the ONLY guy who is available that can do what he does. I'd be tempted if I was BA too but there are just too many red flags. They are all little things but taken together they add up.

Its funny how every time a big named player is about to be traded this forum erupts with foolish thoughts believing we can get that player. If Andrew Luck was on the trade block, half of this forum would probably want to get him lol

Hey, Luck could be a hell of a WR for us!

GET IT DONE, BRUCE! :ols:

I don't want Harvin. We'd have to give up way too much to get him and then sign him for way too much to keep him.

However, I am willing to keep an open mind about it. From reading the tea leaves, I wouldn't be surprised if we made a move to acquire another playmaking WR. I just don't think Percy is gonna be that guy. Let me put it another way...for the first time in forever, I trust or FO. So if they decided to move for Harvin, I would support it.

I understand the argument when people say WR is not a need, considering our holes at S, RT, etc. However, I would argue that playmakers at any position are always a need. Another playmaker at WR, with the healthy return of Sleepy, would take our offense from Top Ten worthy straight to lethal, "suck on this, Mara" territory. If our FO saw an opportunity to upgrade our offense, even at the expense of upgrading some areas on defense, I think they should consider it. I would even go as far as to debate that adding a couple of playmakers on offense would improve or W-L record as much as shoring up the other side of the ball. Of course, that would take into account that our IR guys return to full strength, which is obviously an unkown.

Of course, this all depends on "who" and "how much", and I'm not saying that Percy Harvin would fit that description. I'm also not advocating totally neglecting our secondary to get RG3 some new toys. I'm just saying that Rome was not built in a day, and if you get a chance to upgrade your team with a stud playmaker...you should at least give it a hard look.

I wouldn't deal for Harvin for a lot of reasons already noted here, but hey, look on the bright side. NFL. com has a speculative article up that lists 5 potential teams for him, and we're not one of 'em! For years every time a "name" was available the Skins were in the conversation simply to boost the $$$ 'cuz it was accepted that you could sell anything here, now, not so much.

Harvin's migraines became a thing of the past because they discovered he had sleep apnea, not because Childress left. His migraines were legitimate, but are no longer a concern.

Somehow this slipped by me. Point taken.

Article for reference of others that were unaware:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5556710

So scratch what I said about his migraines.

If the Skins can get Harvin w/o giving up the farm, then they need to be all over it. His addition would not only help our offense, but also SOLVE our ST woes. Kid is one of the best athletes in the NFL and one of the most dynamic players from a versatility standpoint. We have amazing leadership on both sides of the ball, and that should be more than enough to keep Harvin in check. Let's DO IT.

Yes. As I said weeks ago in the FA thread... a 2nd and a 5th and you do it without looking back.

For those mentioning Tavon Austin, he may be a good player in the NFL, but Harvin is a proven commodity and still young. To hedge your bets that someone like Austin will be around when we pick, you're dreaming.

Percy Harvin is THE premier slot receiver in the NFL and can be much more...

I say pass if it involves giving up draft picks. Lets continue to develop our own WRs this year. The money that Bastige owner of the New Jersey giants and the NFL stolen from us for not colluding with the other scumbags puts us in a bind for 2013. 2014 with supposedly 36 million extra to play with should be the time to throw money at young free agents to help fill the remaining pieces.

Yes. As I said weeks ago in the FA thread... a 2nd and a 5th and you do it without looking back.

For those mentioning Tavon Austin, he may be a good player in the NFL, but Harvin is a proven commodity and still young. To hedge your bets that someone like Austin will be around when we pick, you're dreaming.

Percy Harvin is THE premier slot receiver in the NFL and can be much more...

+1

He'll ONLY be 25 to start the season. This is a no-brainer to me. I hope the coaches see it that way as well. I'd HAPPILY give up a 2nd and a 5th for him.

Bill Simmons promotes the idea (and its not his he just writes about it frequently) that as an NFL team playing on the field concerning FGs, 4th and short and 2 point conversions, you as an offense should always do what the other team wouldn't want you to do. Mind blowing I know, but it makes sense. Think of what the other team fears, if they are breathing a sigh of relief that you are kicking a FG on 4th and goal from the 2 then you are probably letting an opportunity slip by and should just take your chances going for it.

Other defenses would literally **** their pants if we added Harvin. DCoordinators would not know what to do. We would be so versatile, fast and deadly. This is far beyond what Green Bay, the Saints and even the Patriots do on offense because of our effective our running game is compared to theirs. And none of them are lining up Garcon and Harvin in their WR sets. It would literally be a pick your poison scenario far beyond what we saw last year.

A move like this and what it does for our offense makes our defense better already. We would still be able to sure up the Safety spots and add some key players in the draft where needed too.

If BA can make the money work and I'm sure he can, then it is definitely worth it. Harvin isn't getting $10mil per from anyone regardless due to the baggage

Bill Simmons promotes the idea (and its not his he just writes about it frequently) that as an NFL team playing on the field concerning FGs, 4th and short and 2 point conversions, you as an offense should always do what the other team wouldn't want you to do. Mind blowing I know, but it makes sense. Think of what the other team fears, if they are breathing a sigh of relief that you are kicking a FG on 4th and goal from the 2 then you are probably letting an opportunity slip by and should just take your chances going for it.

Other defenses would literally **** their pants if we added Harvin. DCoordinators would not know what to do. We would be so versatile, fast and deadly. This is far beyond what Green Bay, the Saints and even the Patriots do on offense because of our effective our running game is compared to theirs. And none of them are lining up Garcon and Harvin in their WR sets. It would literally be a pick your poison scenario far beyond what we saw last year.

A move like this and what it does for our offense makes our defense better already. We would still be able to sure up the Safety spots and add some key players in the draft where needed too.

Good post. I'm sick of hearing of his "injury issues" and "he's a headcase." It's all too far fetched. Minnesota is dysfunctional and I'm sure he's not the only one pissed off in the locker room.

Something I want people to remember... He had 11 receptions for 133 yards against us, this year and was listed as a top performer...

Word is, Patriots are extremely interested in him... I'd rather be smarter than Belicheat for the first time and pick this guy up before we lose the opportunity. I certainly do not want to play against him.

Scoring points did not seem to be an issue for us. Tana had a better season that he did. 20 TD's in 4 season, not worth trading away multiple picks for. He averages a little over 11 yards a catch. We have too many other needs to be chasing another WR. Not because of him being a "head case" or "injury concerns" because WR is not our biggest need right now.

He did have 11 catches for over 100 against us. What does that tell you? We need defensive help.

I hope we don't get into the bidding war for this guy.

Hail

NO.....

You don't want a guy who threw weights at Brad Childress..

You don't want a guy who texted back & forth with Randy Moss daily plotting how to get Childress fired.

You don't want a guy who was put on IR because of his "attitude" toward coach Fraiser.

You don't want a guy who constantly complains he doesn't get the ball enough. RGIII is a equal opportunity QB who spreads the ball around.

You don't trade a 2nd and 4th the year after you traded 3 picks for Robert Griffin III.

You don't trade for a guy who you have to give a new contract to right away so he stays happy with the current state of the salary cap.

This is the type of deal Vinny Cerrato would have already offered 2 first round picks for and bragged to the media about it.

The talent is enticing but that talent comes with big RISK. Not happening.

He's someone you have to account for on every play and look to see where he is lined up. Our back 4 were far from good but that does not take anything away from the fact that he is just a nightmare for the best defenses. You don't just find "Percy Harvins" in every draft. He's a blue chip player and a legit game changer.

We are a contender. Our WR's are decent but every team can use an upgrade like Harvin. He's everything we've built this offense around - young, speed, yac.

---------- Post added February-11th-2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

NO.....

This is the type of deal Vinny Cerrato would have already offered 2 first round picks for and bragged to the media about it.

Far from it... Harvin is not over 30 and declining... In fact, Harvin would be the complete opposite of a Vinny signing.

Do I think there's a chance he comes here, probably slim to none. But I would do it in a heartbeat.

---------- Post added February-11th-2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

Percy Harvin - WR - Vikings The Minneapolis Star-Tribune expects the Vikings to gauge trade interest in Percy Harvin at next week's Scouting Combine.

Specifically, beat writer Dan Wiederer expects the Vikings to "cast a few Harvin-baited hooks into the waters and see if there are any nibbles." However, Wiederer stops short of confirming Harvin is on the block. Both GM Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier have publicly insisted they want Harvin back with the team in 2013. If Harvin is truly on the market, the Vikings won't need to rush things with one of the league's most dynamic young players.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?rw=1

Far from it... Harvin is not over 30 and declining... In fact, Harvin would be the complete opposite of a Vinny signing.

Early Vinny was more about making bad trades for veterans, later Vinny was more about making bad trades for a mix of youth and veterans. A good apples to apples comparison might be Brandon Lloyd. He had attitude issues in SF. But heck SF were a bad team and he's a young emerging player. They traded two picks for him ala the TJ Duckett deal. Attitude problems came with Lloyd to DC, they didn't go away.

What about the other points LL brought up? I think they're pretty valid.

it's an opinion, which differs from mine.

I do not see Harvin as a headcase. Most athletes are primadonas in their own way. They are young guys with a ton of money. Doesn't take away anything from the fact he's a tremendous athlete and show's it on the field.

Their offense is centered around A.P. and Kyle Rudolph... You can bet he'd be targeted here. If he was such a bad guy, why would the GM and coach publicly insist that they want him back on the team?

Early Vinny was more about making bad trades for veterans, later Vinny was more about making bad trades for a mix of youth and veterans. A good apples to apples comparison might be Brandon Lloyd. He had attitude issues in SF. But heck SF were a bad team and he's a young emerging player. They traded two picks for him ala the TJ Duckett deal. Attitude problems came with Lloyd to DC, they didn't go away.

Thats not a very fair comparison. The team as currently assembled is light years beyond what Lloyd came into. Plus Lloyd never had the gamebreaking talent that Harvin does and has repeatedly shown ever since his rookie year.

You can't compare this to a Vinny trade because the team, coaches and culture is much better suited to take a chance on a guy like Harvin than they ever were under Vinny. Lloyd would not have put us over the top. Harvin could be that guy.

I'd gladly take him only under the circumstances:

He gladly takes on blocking assignments. All of our receivers block well and with enthusiasm. Im not sure how good his blocking is so somebody would need to address this.

We would get him for no higher than a 4th round pick and would be cheap towards our cap. Neither of which I see happening. Perhaps we can trade Morgan/Hankerson and a high pick but I doubt it.

He needs to get his head on straight. We don't need a distraction in the locker room.

Archived