Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

-Good, keep him away from my team.

According to a "high-ranking Vikings source," Percy Harvin "expects" an extension similar to the deals recently signed by Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

The league's two highest paid receivers, Johnson scored an eight-year, $150.5 million pact last March, while Fitzgerald is entering year three of an eight-year, $128.5 million deal. Megatron's deal includes $60 million guaranteed, Fitz's $50 million. If true, it would certainly explain why the Vikings are at least exploring trading a player who's among the most gifted in the league, but also hot-headed with health question marks. However, it's extremely doubtful Harvin could even approach Fitz and Mega's deals, in Minnesota or elsewhere. We're likely only at the beginning of a long and winding ordeal.

You lost me with that part. Saying that Harvin is more valuable than Calvin freakin' Johnson is pure unadulterated insanity; and I don't care what the system is...he would fit in anywhere. Same with Fitz or Green. Harvin is more of a slot guy, as MartinC was pointing out. You split Megatron, Fitz, Green out wide and that's an entire half of the field the defense has to focus on. Harvin is extremely talented and can be very dangerous but as a WR he is certainly no Megatron or Fitz and I would take Green over him any day of the week as well.

No you're crazy. Harvin can impact the game in more ways than CJ. He's an Elite WR slot or outside, Elite runner, and Elite PR/KR. He is everybit as valuable as CJ. CJ just got 2000 yards receiving with no team success. Percy can have WAY more yards n TDs than CJ in a year. Because you can line up anywhere and give him the ball and he could and would go for a TD.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Next CJ and Fitz ain't worth that money. They just don't impact the game enough for 16 million a year. If it's a skill player that is worth it is AP and Harvin. Harvin has the potential to be a 2500 all purpose yards with 15-20 tds a year. Those players are not giving you that.

Harvin can impact the game in more ways than CJ. He's an Elite WR slot or outside, Elite runner, and Elite PR/KR. He is everybit as valuable as CJ. CJ just got 2000 yards receiving with no team success. Percy can have WAY more yards n TDs than CJ in a year. Because you can line up anywhere and give him the ball and he could and would go for a TD.

Harvin had 96 yrds rushing in 2012. He's averaged 1 KR per game over the last two season....and Shanahan ain't putting a 10mil per season WR back their to field punts. No chance in hell.

CJ has 3600 receiving yards in the last 2 seasons.

Not even close.

No you're crazy. Harvin can impact the game in more ways than CJ. He's an Elite WR slot or outside, Elite runner, and Elite PR/KR. He is everybit as valuable as CJ. CJ just got 2000 yards receiving with no team success. Percy can have WAY more yards n TDs than CJ in a year. Because you can line up anywhere and give him the ball and he could and would go for a TD.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Next CJ and Fitz ain't worth that money. They just don't impact the game enough for 16 million a year. If it's a skill player that is worth it is AP and Harvin. Harvin has the potential to be a 2500 all purpose yards with 15-20 tds a year. Those players are not giving you that.

I wouldn't put Harvin in as an "elite" outside WR. He doesn't split wide all that often and when he does he rarely gets double teamed. I've seen it a few times, but not all that often. He is far more dangerous in the slot and when he can get the ball on shorter throws in space and make plays that way. If you were stupid enough to single cover Megatron or Fitz then you get what you deserve. You simply can't do it. Hell, even when you TRIPLE cover Megatron he still has about an even chance of beating you. Harvin is very talented and dangerous with the ball in his hands but nobody will ever play him the way they do Calvin Johnson. Sorry but it isn't even close.

Either way, we'll find out what the NFL thinks when he either gets an extension with Baltimore or he goes somewhere else. He may want CJ/Fitz money but I have a feeling he won't get anywhere near what they do because no team is going to place his value above CJ or Fitz.

Harvin had 96 yrds rushing in 2012. He's averaged 1 KR per game over the last two season....and Shanahan ain't putting a 10mil per season WR back their to field punts. No chance in hell.

Not even close.

Yeah, but 3 years ago he was almost as good a KR as Brandon Banks. That totally makes him worth more than Megatron.

Pardon my language, but someone has gone cuckoo-pants.

I try to never talk Fantasy Football in The Stadium but as a frustrated two year owner of Percy Harvin, NO and HELL NO. Glass Joe cannot stay on the field and it sounds like his ego is a little too large for the newly rebuilt and refreshing Redskins Locker Room.

Not to mention, our offseason shopping list should focus on the secondary and RT. We get Davis back, Moss was good in the slot other the fumble against the G-Men. Garcon, Robinson, Hankerson, I feel pretty good about WR's.

...Billy Madison, help me out on this one...

Percy can have WAY more yards n TDs than CJ in a year. Because you can line up anywhere and give him the ball and he could and would go for a TD.

I am just quoting the two sentenses that stand out for me in your argument...

I agree with your assessment of Harvin potential 100% but until these bolded words turn into DID, DONE, HAS BEEN... there is not way you should pay Harvin top 3 or even top 5 money purely on potential...

I try to never talk Fantasy Football in The Stadium but as a frustrated two year owner of Percy Harvin, NO and HELL NO. Glass Joe cannot stay on the field and it sounds like his ego is a little too large for the newly rebuilt and refreshing Redskins Locker Room.

Not to mention, our offseason shopping list should focus on the secondary and RT. We get Davis back, Moss was good in the slot other the fumble against the G-Men. Garcon, Robinson, Hankerson, I feel pretty good about WR's.

Agreed on the first part. But the second part is tentative, it depends on the development of our WR's. We need more speed, which should be Aldrick Robinson, yet he can't run the full route tree. Oddly enough, neither can Percy Harvin, yet Harvin is great at the things Aldrick is meh at. I feel like Kyle wants a WR with speed who can go deep as well as be able to do a quick slant.

Aldrick can't yet, and I'm not sure if he'll develop that part of his game.

I wouldn't put Harvin in as an "elite" outside WR. He doesn't split wide all that often and when he does he rarely gets double teamed. I've seen it a few times, but not all that often. He is far more dangerous in the slot and when he can get the ball on shorter throws in space and make plays that way. If you were stupid enough to single cover Megatron or Fitz then you get what you deserve. You simply can't do it. Hell, even when you TRIPLE cover Megatron he still has about an even chance of beating you. Harvin is very talented and dangerous with the ball in his hands but nobody will ever play him the way they do Calvin Johnson. Sorry but it isn't even close.

Either way, we'll find out what the NFL thinks when he either gets an extension with Baltimore or he goes somewhere else. He may want CJ/Fitz money but I have a feeling he won't get anywhere near what they do because no team is going to place his value above CJ or Fitz.

For one he does play outside and teams do double team him. Now is he on the level as CJ or Fitz outside naw but he is Elite out there. But he is also Elite in slot and in the backfield. Defenses have to account for him. No one player is going to cover by themself. I don't think Harvin will get CJ or Fitz money not because he's not just as valuable cause he is but because they are not that valuable and shouldnt have been given those contracts.

I'm not down with giving Harvin his payday. I don't believe he will give his best after he's rewarded. I think he'll play more careful after he's paid and I believe the rewards will not justify the cost. It's not like the offense as it is isn't top 5. As it stands right now it's Super Bowl caliber. We don't need one player running around out there on offense that costs top of the league money.

Top 5 scoring offenses last year were

1 NE

2 Broncos

3 Saints

4 Redskins

5 Packers.

Any of those teams have a 10 million dollar a year player that isn't a QB?

I think it would be irresponsible of this team to pay any O player that much money.

Top 5 base salary receivers last year were

1. Santonio

2 A. Johnson

3. B. Marshall

4. Rice

5, Heyward Bey

Notice how none of the top offenses have a top paid WR?

Not even close.

Mike would put him at KR why wouldn't he? He let's his rookie QB play on one leg I don't see why he'll change now.

But anyway yes CJ has over 3600 yards the past 2 years. But this last year Lions was just trying to get him to break the record.

Also Lions are a passing team. So his stats inflated. Harvin in 2011 had 1200 yards on offense alone with a crappy QB situation. And a team that is a run first team with AP as the running back. 2012 he was on pace 2200 yards just on offense alone. So I have no reason to believe that with RG3 as his QB and Mike and Kyle as his coaches he couldnt put up 2500 yards on this team.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 08:10 PM ----------

I'm not down with giving Harvin his payday. I don't believe he will give his best after he's rewarded. I think he'll play more careful after he's paid and I believe the rewards will not justify the cost. It's not like the offense as it is isn't top 5. As it stands right now it's Super Bowl caliber. We don't need one player running around out there on offense that costs top of the league money.

Top 5 scoring offenses last year were

1 NE

2 Broncos

3 Saints

4 Redskins

5 Packers.

Any of those teams have a 10 million dollar a year player that isn't a QB?

I think it would be irresponsible of this team to pay any O player that much money.

Top 5 base salary receivers last year were

1. Santonio

2 A. Johnson

3. B. Marshall

4. Rice

5' date=' Heyward Bey

Notice how none of the top offenses have a top paid WR?[/quote']

I have no reason to believe he'll just quit after he gets paid. I also don't think he's getting the money he wants. Just all the other WRs on the market. Its just so many other WRs in the draft for teams to draft. Garçon money alittle bit more is what I'm thinking. Its just Harvin fits this offense and everything Kyle tried to do last year. Harvin help RG3 so much in this offense and help ALF stay fresh for the long haul. While giving Garçon the space to operate in the secondary. I just not looking what stats he can put up but how he can take pressure off of our other star players.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 08:10 PM ----------

Vikings are not getting any of our picks and Harvins not getting any of dannys money doesn't matter how elite some fl he is 2013 is not the year for a Madden type trade.

3rd and 5th round trade isnt Madden like. If you think a 3rd and 5th can be more impactful than Harvin, I got a bridge to sell you. Trying to save or stockpile pick gets you Helu, Hankerson, and Niles Paul instead of JJ Watt.

This would be such a Vinny move its not even funny. Trade early/mid round picks for a guy with tons of potential and give him a bunch of cash on top of it. How many times does this have to not work before people get the picture? If he were worth what people think he is, the Vikings wouldn't be trading him.

I have no reason to believe he'll just quit after he gets paid.

He has a history of attitude and maturity problems apparently dating all the way back to HS. That ain't going away, at least not any time soon. That is usually the kind of guy who is more likely to cash in a big payday and then just coast along than a known hard worker and attitude free player. There is no way to know what will happen; it is up in the air. So the question is, are you willing to spend a couple of draft picks as well as sign him to a $10-15 million per year contract and basically just hope that it works out ok and that he doesn't simply phone it in after getting the bucks? That is quite a bit to gamble on.

3rd and 5th round trade isnt Madden like. If you think a 3rd and 5th can be more impactful than Harvin, I got a bridge to sell you. Trying to save or stockpile pick gets you Helu, Hankerson, and Niles Paul instead of JJ Watt.

Yo, McFly; they're asking for a 2nd and a 4th. If they don't that, they'll probably just sit on him and let his sorry behind rot on the bench while he holds out. The Vikings have all the leverage. Get this "a 3rd and a 5th" stuff ignores what we know. If Harvin is close to what you say he is, that's what he'll get, and that's not what we'll afford.

It's not even worth arguing. If you think Harvin is worth $14-18 million a year you're so forgone there's no point arguing with you, period.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 09:10 PM ----------

He has a history of attitude and maturity problems apparently dating all the way back to HS. That ain't going away, at least not any time soon. That is usually the kind of guy who is more likely to cash in a big payday and then just coast along than a known hard worker and attitude free player. There is no way to know what will happen; it is up in the air. So the question is, are you willing to spend a couple of draft picks as well as sign him to a $10-15 million per year contract and basically just hope that it works out ok and that he doesn't simply phone it in after getting the bucks? That is quite a bit to gamble on.

The range would be more like $15-20 million if he's really looking for Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald money.

Yo, McFly; they're asking for a 2nd and a 4th. If they don't that, they'll probably just sit on him and let his sorry behind rot on the bench while he holds out. The Vikings have all the leverage. Get this "a 3rd and a 5th" stuff ignores what we know. If Harvin is close to what you say he is, that's what he'll get, and that's not what we'll afford.

It's not even worth arguing. If you think Harvin is worth $14-18 million a year you're so forgone there's no point arguing with you, period.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 09:10 PM ----------

The range would be more like $15-20 million if he's really looking for Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald money.

Is there a point in arguing with anyone that has seen this type of move backfire time after time and still wants more?

Brandon has had the same said about him. And dude still performs. I think he can turn it around he has to grow. But he has performed till this date. From HS to the Pros. People is firey plus I don't know his side of the story either.

Archived