Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

NO.....

The talent is enticing but that talent comes with big RISK. Not happening.

All your points are very valid and legitimate but what is the worst that could happen? We bring him in and he is a headcase or it isn't working out we can trade him. There will be plenty of contenders who think they are a Harvin away from going to the SB I don't necessarily think it would be that difficult to trade him midseason if it isn't working. See the market for Talib midseason this year. He had injury concerns, attitude/off field issues and was also in the last year of his contract.

And he isn't nearly the player Harvin is. Yeah we might end up swapping a higher pick for a lower one if it doesn't work out but its not that terrible. I think the team is constructed well enough right now that we can take a chance like this when the potential is as high as it is.

What about the other points LL brought up? I think they're pretty valid.
Why bother debating the points and facts that destroy your argument, right? If he/she doesn't respond, they'll magically disappear and make them not true. :)

And the kid has been a headcase since at least high school. I teach in Virginia Beach and have several very good/close friends over at Landstown High, where Percy went. It is mind boggling the **** this kid would do and pull in school, but their principal and coach at the time covered everything up for their star athlete. The kid has been allowed to do whatever he wants his entire life; it is no wonder he is a head case and such a malcontent. I don't want him anywhere near our team. We will do fine without him.

it's an opinion, which differs from mine.

I do not see Harvin as a headcase. Most athletes are primadonas in their own way. They are young guys with a ton of money. Doesn't take away anything from the fact he's a tremendous athlete and show's it on the field.

Their offense is centered around A.P. and Kyle Rudolph... You can bet he'd be targeted here. If he was such a bad guy, why would the GM and coach publicly insist that they want him back on the team?

I dunno, some of that stuff has been pretty corroborated as far as I've heard but I suppose if you don't like it you can just say its an "opinion" and dismiss it. For me there is just too much smoke for there not to be some kind of fire. Sure, most young athletes can be prima donnas at times but there is a difference between a guy who thinks he is all that and is ****y, etc but still works hard at his job, does what the coaches tell him, doesn't get into fights with management and coaches, and is a team player and a guy who gets in shouting matches with coaches, has loud hissy fits about not getting the ball enough, etc etc.

As far as why the GM and coach would publicly insist that they want him back on the team...they want to get something for him. If they came out and said "Jesus, this guy is nothing but a pain in our ass. Please, please someone take him off of our hands we can't deal with it anymore" they would have zero leverage. They need teams to think that they will have to entice the Vikes into giving up a guy they still want so they can get decent picks for him.

Why bother debating the points and facts that destroy your argument, right? If he/she doesn't respond, they'll magically disappear and make them not true. :)

And the kid has been a headcase since at least high school. I teach in Virginia Beach and have several very good/close friends over at Landstown High, where Percy went. It is mind boggling the **** this kid would do and pull in school, but their principal and coach at the time covered everything up for their star athlete. The kid has been allowed to do whatever he wants his entire life; it is no wonder he is a head case and such a malcontent. I don't want him anywhere near our team. We will do fine without him.

I wrote a response a few up from your, my friend... You'd be naive to think that most athletes are not like this. It happens in all schools, from the beginning of time.. Ever wonder why our own Dexter Manley couldn't read???

This is nothing new and it will likely never change. Athletes are held to a standard of sports and that. is. it... Of course there are exceptions to every rule, like RG3, who actually obtain a degree and attend class.

We signed Donte Stallworth who was in jail for vehicular manslaughter... But no, don't sign Harvin... he might put shaving cream on a sleeping teammates face and tickle him with a feather

it's an opinion, which differs from mine.

I do not see Harvin as a headcase.

No, most of what he stated are facts, not opinions. Look up the words if you need help with the differences between them. And, just because you don't see Harvin as a headcase doesn't mean that he's not.
All your points are very valid and legitimate but what is the worst that could happen? We bring him in and he is a headcase or it isn't working out we can trade him.
Seriously? You want us to give up an arm and a leg for a guy, wasting limited picks that should be spent on needs, waste valuable time by putting off getting the pieces we do need here and in the system, and then think after that we could just go out an recoup all of that with a trade of the player when he doesn't work out and kills the cohesiveness that we are starting to build in our locker room? :doh:

I dunno, some of that stuff has been pretty corroborated as far as I've heard but I suppose if you don't like it you can just say its an "opinion" and dismiss it. For me there is just too much smoke for there not to be some kind of fire. Sure, most young athletes can be prima donnas at times but there is a difference between a guy who thinks he is all that and is ****y, etc but still works hard at his job, does what the coaches tell him, doesn't get into fights with management and coaches, and is a team player and a guy who gets in shouting matches with coaches, has loud hissy fits about not getting the ball enough, etc etc.

As far as why the GM and coach would publicly insist that they want him back on the team...they want to get something for him. If they came out and said "Jesus, this guy is nothing but a pain in our ass. Please, please someone take him off of our hands we can't deal with it anymore" they would have zero leverage. They need teams to think that they will have to entice the Vikes into giving up a guy they still want so they can get decent picks for him.

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with 'leverage.' Team FO's know a lot more than we do as fans... You don't just trick a team in to a guy and then laugh when they take him for draft picks, that's not how it's played. Teams know his worth. Frazier knows he has a true football player on his hands and does not want to see him go because he is not easily replaced.

When you have Adrian Peterson telling the media that "Percy Harvin is the best I've played with." That has to count for something... You can't tell me RG3 wouldn't be a mentor to this kid.

Ever wonder why our own Dexter Manley couldn't read???

Dexter Manley had a severe learning disability that was never properly addressed (mostly because of his athletic prowess, unfortunately). It had nothing to do with him being a prima donna or a malcontent or a headcase.

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with 'leverage.' Team FO's know a lot more than we do as fans... You don't just trick a team in to a guy and then laugh when they take him for draft picks, that's not how it's played.

Teams did it to us more than once. FOs are not infallible and there are some pretty bad ones out there.

When you have Adrian Peterson telling the media that "Percy Harvin is the best I've played with." That has to count for something... You can't tell me RG3 wouldn't be a mentor to this kid.

I'm sure AP thinks he is a top notch football player. I have no clue how he feels about him as a person or in the locker room. And if AP had a problem with his attitude and personality he wouldn't say anything. As far as RG3 mentoring him...seriously? A guy who has been in the NFL for a few years now shouldn't need a "mentor". He should have his head on straight enough by now that he doesn't need that.

No, most of what he stated are facts, not opinions. Look up the words if you need help with the differences between them. And, just because you don't see Harvin as a headcase doesn't mean that he's not.

Seriously? You want us to give up an arm and a leg for a guy, wasting limited picks that should be spent on needs, waste valuable time by putting off getting the pieces we do need here and in the system, and then think after that we could just go out an recoup all of that with a trade of the player when he doesn't work out and kills the cohesiveness that we are starting to build in our locker room? :doh:

I think my education speaks for itself, brother. No need to be all defensive. HAIL

What I don't understand though, is how you think giving up anything past a 2nd rounder for a legit 1st round player and blue chip is a waste?

I wrote a response a few up from your, my friend... You'd be naive to think that most athletes are not like this. It happens in all schools, from the beginning of time.. Ever wonder why our own Dexter Manley couldn't read???

You wrote a response after being called out on it. You tried to ignore the facts in your original response.

And, as far as ALL athletes behaving like Harvin, BULL. Sure there are athletes who get to skate, but we've done our time with the Albert Haynesworths of the world. If you think that all athletes are like this and are treated this way, I'd love for you to explain all of our picks from last year, and the year before. We are drafting players with character. Harvin does not fit the bill.

We signed Donte Stallworth who was in jail for vehicular manslaughter... But no, don't sign Harvin... he might put shaving cream on a sleeping teammates face and tickle him with a feather
Are you serious with this? You are going to compare a huge mistake made by a man that was more than repentant and sorry for his actions and willingly and eagerly went beyond his legal punishments to pay restitution to the family of the guy who he killed because the victim, too, was drunk and breaking the law, to a kid that has a track record of mistakes and indiscretions but has never even tried to fake being sorry for any of them? You just lost all credibility!!!

Dexter Manley had a severe learning disability that was never properly addressed (mostly because of his athletic prowess, unfortunately). It had nothing to do with him being a prima donna or a malcontent or a headcase.

That was my point... It was two separate issues I was addressing... There are guys who are just naturally talented athletes, and that's it. On the other hand and rare occasion you'll have a superstar athlete with some book smarts.

We dont know that it will cost an arm and a leg for one. If he costs too much obviously youj pass. A 2nd or 3rd and an additional pick/player isnt exactly an arm and a leg. We dont have limited picks either we are missing a 1st. I guess that is limited but we still have 7 picks this draft.

Most people think we will draft a WR anyway so why not spend a pick on a proven one, that happens to be one of the best playmakers in the league? And he is only 25.

Good luck drafting a 2nd or 3rd round WR and seeing how he turns out in a few years. He may come close to being what Harvin is now but odds are he won't. And the 3 years we wait for him to develop Harvin could be here tearing the field up with Garcon Morris and RG3.

And yes, on the chance, chance that is doesnt work out, yes we could probably get a pick back trading him so its not a complete loss. If we get Harvin in here, he can be plenty cohesive by the time the season rolls around and will have no problem fitting in. We have a locker room full of strong leaders. I don't see that being a problem.

My point is that for what he brings it could definitely be worth the risk. It's foolish to quickly dismiss it when one of the best playmakers in the NFL becomes available.

You wrote a response after being called out on it. You tried to ignore the facts in your original response.

And, as far as ALL athletes behaving like Harvin, BULL. Sure there are athletes who get to skate, but we've done our time with the Albert Haynesworths of the world. If you think that all athletes are like this and are treated this way, I'd love for you to explain all of our picks from last year, and the year before. We are drafting players with character. Harvin does not fit the bill.

Are you serious with this? You are going to compare a huge mistake made by a man that was more than repentant and sorry for his actions and willingly and eagerly went beyond his legal punishments to pay restitution to the family of the guy who he killed because the victim, too, was drunk and breaking the law, to a kid that has a track record of mistakes and indiscretions but has never even tried to fake being sorry for any of them? You just lost all credibility!!!

He pointed out facts as "you don't want"... as did I and I said I do want. As far as I'm concerned, I want football players... I see people pining for Aqib Talib on here daily, and I too would shy away from Aqib as what he has done is far worse in my eyes than what Harvin has done.

I said "most" not "ALL" athletes. But I see you like to jump the gun on things.

A mistake? I do believe the only "mistake" was hitting someone when his drunk behind decided to get in his fancy car and drive... Sorry but 18 days or whatever it is, is not justice. Paying the family off isn't justice either... let me guess, you feel sorry for Ray Lewis too?

I don't think that most people think that we will draft a WR this year. Safety, CB, TE, O line, LB maybe. I don't even see WR on the radar.

Most mock drafts I have seen people post on this site have us taking a WR as well as the LL tweet last week that said the coaching staff would likely try to put more weapons on offense for RG3 this offseason as well.

We have holes we need to fill. Every team has holes and every team that wins the SB does too. The Ravens have plenty. They wouldn't have won the SB though or even made it if they didn't have a couple key playmakers like Boldin that can help mask or completely make up for their holes.

We will still have plenty of picks to address the glaring needs but adding a piece like Harvin makes the team better overall without even fixing a single other position.

Thats not a very fair comparison. The team as currently assembled is light years beyond what Lloyd came into. Plus Lloyd never had the gamebreaking talent that Harvin does and has repeatedly shown ever since his rookie year.

You can't compare this to a Vinny trade because the team, coaches and culture is much better suited to take a chance on a guy like Harvin than they ever were under Vinny. Lloyd would not have put us over the top. Harvin could be that guy.

The culture seemed more than fine under Joe Gibbs. Gibbs was every bit the "culture" guy and leader that Shanny is. They just came off of a playoff season so that off season had a feel good vibe to it just as this one does. I am not saying Lloyd is comparable to Harvin talent wise, far from it. Just saying players with attitude issues -- its often part of their personality -- personality doesn't change that easily. If a guy is easily rankled when things are going their way -- they tend to be on their best behavior when things do go their way -- but once things start going south they go back to their bad habits. Brandon Marshall and TO turned over a new leaf supposedly when they started over with the Dolphins and Cowboys but it didn't last. I am sure you guys know people like that from work, people that you want to stay away from when things don't go their way. I don't know enough about Harvin to deem him to be that kind of guy -- but there is a lot of smoke to the fire -- and if the Redskins looked into him and saw red flags, I'd stay away.

Most mock drafts I have seen people post on this site have us taking a WR as well as the LL tweet last week that said the coaching staff would likely try to put more weapons on offense for RG3 this offseason as well.

We have holes we need to fill. Every team has holes and every team that wins the SB does too. The Ravens have plenty. They wouldn't have won the SB though or even made it if they didn't have a couple key playmakers like Boldin that can help mask or completely make up for their holes.

We will still have plenty of picks to address the glaring needs but adding a piece like Harvin makes the team better overall without even fixing a single other position.

I hear you, but still think that if we score 35 a game and give up 40 a game we have a problem. Fix the defense first and get the O line some depth to keep RG3 healthy.

I think that Davis will be gone next year and while Paulsen did a decent job, a faster more athletic TE would be higher on my list. Absent the lost picks and the bs penalty we have to deal with this year, may be another story.

If he ends of a Skin I will root him.

Hail

I don't know enough about Harvin to deem him to be that kind of guy -- but there is a lot of smoke to the fire -- and if the Redskins looked into him and saw red flags, I'd stay away.

I agree with everything you said but still the Gibbs teams didn't have the depth of the future that our team know has. I also don't think it had nearly the number of quality character guys and strong leaders in the locker room that we have now that give a player like this a better chance to succeed. We went through a pretty consistent OC change too during Gibbs 2 if I remember correctly where this is year 4 of the same offense (minus the RG3 pistol tweaks) so guys are estbalished and it would seem more natural to plug in a new piece to put us over the top than groom another rookie.

---------- Post added February-11th-2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

I hear you, but still think that if we score 35 a game and give up 40 a game we have a problem. Fix the defense first and get the O line some depth to keep RG3 healthy.

I think that Davis will be gone next year and while Paulsen did a decent job, a faster more athletic TE would be higher on my list. Absent the lost picks and the bs penalty we have to deal with this year, may be another story.

Hail

I agree and you also have to think that the defense won't be nearly as bad. I think we have enough picks/ammo in FA to address S which was the real concern then with the guys coming back from injury the defense should be much improved by itself. I believe that is how the FO sees it as well.

Either way, we are going to be a good team next year which is refreshing. Its nice to talk about players that could "put us over the top" though for a change.

HTTR

Hail

I like this post. Good man. Picking up Travis Kelce in the draft and we would still have a few picks to address S and depth positions with BPA. The only pick we are short is a 1st rounder.

Cheers and HAIL!

My apologies to Taylor 36 and the Mods in here. I hope I don't come off as rude or an ass... Nice to see differing opinions and in the end... Hail to the Redskins baby! Words always look and sound different when they are typed but I assure you I have no hostility on Extremeskins.

Hail

I agree and you also have to think that the defense won't be nearly as bad. I think we have enough picks/ammo in FA to address S which was the real concern then with the guys coming back from injury the defense should be much improved by itself. I believe that is how the FO sees it as well.

Either way, we are going to be a good team next year which is refreshing. Its nice to talk about players that could "put us over the top" though for a change.

HTTR

And yes, on the chance, chance that is doesnt work out, yes we could probably get a pick back trading him so its not a complete loss. If we get Harvin in here, he can be plenty cohesive by the time the season rolls around and will have no problem fitting in. We have a locker room full of strong leaders. I don't see that being a problem.

Couple of things here.

First, we would get next to nothing for him in that scenario. We give up a 2nd and change for the guy and he is such a headache that we try to jettison him at the end of the season or even during the season. Every team will know that not only is he truly a confirmed incurable headcase, but that we are borderline desperate to get rid of him. In that scenario we'd probably be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him.

Second, if we did bring Harvin in here there is no way in hell he will agree to being a one year rental. He will demand a big contract; that's what he has wanted from the Vikings and that's what he will want from any team that takes him. So the first point might be moot anyway because we wouldn't be able to get rid of him after giving him a new contract without taking a HUGE cap hit. Sure, we could refuse or try and lowball him, but he could just refuse to play until he gets paid. I wouldn't put it past him given his history of complaining.

I am a member of the Denard Robinson bandwagon.

Did he learn how to catch yet? First things first... He was really struggling at the Senior Bowl. Doesn't seem anything more than a Brad Smith at this point.

---------- Post added February-11th-2013 at 01:38 PM ----------

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8935773/2013-nfl-offseason-potential-trade-suitors-percy-harvin

---------- Post added February-11th-2013 at 01:29 PM ----------

PFF loves Harvin, saying whoever can get him will be stealing from Minnesota. I agree

Love that article... Enough said! Any chance you have Insider access and who they have as other potential suitors... I'd imagine any team not located in Minnesota but i'd be curious to see their analysis.

You either love him or hate him but there's no denying the talent and upgrade he brings to the table. Then again, I'd have Percy Harvin and Reggie Bush and call it a successful FA. Bring in Jovan Olafioye for tryout at RT and draft a Safety/CB and Travis Kelce at TE.

(And I know the above is highly unlikely, but a man can dream)

Archived