Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

NO.....

You don't want a guy who threw weights at Brad Childress..

You don't want a guy who texted back & forth with Randy Moss daily plotting how to get Childress fired.

You don't want a guy who was put on IR because of his "attitude" toward coach Fraiser.

You don't want a guy who constantly complains he doesn't get the ball enough. RGIII is a equal opportunity QB who spreads the ball around.

You don't trade a 2nd and 4th the year after you traded 3 picks for Robert Griffin III.

You don't trade for a guy who you have to give a new contract to right away so he stays happy with the current state of the salary cap.

This is the type of deal Vinny Cerrato would have already offered 2 first round picks for and bragged to the media about it.

The talent is enticing but that talent comes with big RISK. Not happening.

Great post. Agreed on all counts.

Just the salary cap implications alone and what that would mean about our ability to resign our own free agents not to mention add other pieces in free agency make this a non starter. All the rest is the cherry on the cake.

Couple of things here.

Second, if we did bring Harvin in here there is no way in hell he will agree to being a one year rental. He will demand a big contract; that's what he has wanted from the Vikings and that's what he will want from any team that takes him. So the first point might be moot anyway because we wouldn't be able to get rid of him after giving him a new contract without taking a HUGE cap hit. Sure, we could refuse or try and lowball him, but he could just refuse to play until he gets paid. I wouldn't put it past him given his history of complaining.

There is no history of him refusing to play, in fact it seems more the opposite so I doubt that would be an issue. Also, you obviously talk to him before signing the trade and tell him. We are going to see how the ankle is healed and examine your play in our system before we give you a new contract.

If he doesn't agree you walk away. If he agrees then changes his tune once he gets here you trade him. Contenders will be lining up to give us a 4th at least for him and I really don't think that is a stretch. Once teams realize their shortcomings going into the season there will be several suitors for Harvin on the slim chance it didn't work out for us. Trading a potential 2nd or 3rd for a potential 3th or 5th worst case scenario isn't the end of the world considering the huge upside he could bring to the team.

We are division champs with a loaded roster of young talent. We are going to be ok if we squander a draft pick taking a chance on a guy that could take us to the next level. And I don't think it's really as a big a chance as most think. This isn't like the previous 12 years or so where we went after big names without having a solid team in place. That show you end up in the mess we did. This is completely different.

There is no history of him refusing to play...

Well, he has a TERRIBLE history with Minny's current coach Frasier as well as the previous coach (Childress). He has a wealth of talent but there are huge question marks and a terrible history regarding his attitude. Essentially Minnesota was ok with sidelining a guy with superior talent because he's such a lockeroom cancer. How do we change that? Don't get me wrong, I contended earlier in this thread he's an incredible talent and if we could land him at marginal cost, it would be a deal worth looking at. His attitude and off the charts athleticism make me feel like he's the bizzaro, evil version of RG3 though (like his twin in physical ability and his complete opposite in character and attitude).

If the guy is under contract and his team is trading him can a team talk to the player at all before the trade? For some reason I think it is "no" but I'm not positive. I think it is a "what you see is what you get" situation. It isn't like FA where you bring a guy in and talk to him extensively, etc. You have to deal with the team trading him, not him. So it would basically just be a "hope he works out" situation.

Lets say we make the trade and he comes in and we say what you mentioned above: "We are going to see how the ankle is healed and examine your play in our system before we give you a new contract." or something along those lines. There are a few things that could happen; one of the three is good. First, he could refuse to play and hold out for a new contract. Second, he could tell them what they want to hear, get the new contract, and changes his tune after getting paid. Third, he could do what they ask and become a productive and valuable player.

In none of those cases are we going to be handing him off to someone else. He is our problem. If he is holding out, no team is going to touch him so we likely couldn't trade him at all. If he tells them what they want to hear and then changes his tune...oh well. We now have a problem child with a big contract. Most teams at that point wouldn't even give up a mid round pick for him, let alone pick up the big contract that would come with him. If he becomes a productive and valuable player who works hard and is a positive influence in the locker room...congratulations, you just got lucky and won the lottery.

I think he is a great talent and worth trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for. This guy most likely was unhappy due to him being in a offense with piss poor qb play. It must have been extremely frustrating for him to see balls sail over his head or at his feet for the past 5 years. This guy has speed to burn and if lined up in the slot or backfield in the pistol he would be dynamic in our offense. Look how well santana played in his advanced career. This guy is like a young santana.

I think he is a great talent and worth trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for.

It's not so much the draft pick you need to give up for him it's the contract you need to give him, the cap space that takes which we don't have and the implications for your future cap if it all blows up in your face.

Percy Harvin - WR - Vikings Citing a league source, Profootballtalk.com reports that Percy Harvin will skip all offseason activities so long as the Vikings haven't upgraded his contract.

This is the approach players seeking raises normally take. Per PFT, Harvin plans to sit out OTAs and minicamps as well as training camp if the Vikings don't meet his demands. The obvious alternative to paying Harvin would be for GM Rick Spielman to trade him to a club willing to commit eight figures per year and $30-plus million guaranteed. The financial implications are the main reason we don't expect Minnesota to receive a first-round pick for Harvin via trade.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Feb 11 - 2:03 PM

It's not so much the draft pick you need to give up for him it's the contract you need to give him, the cap space that takes which we don't have and the implications for your future cap if it all blows up in your face.

im pretty sure they could figure something out if they wanted him, we do gain a crap load of cap money back in two years. They would have to structure a deal where most of the cap his comes after this coming year when our cap is reinstated.

NO.....

You don't want a guy who threw weights at Brad Childress..

You don't want a guy who texted back & forth with Randy Moss daily plotting how to get Childress fired.

You don't want a guy who was put on IR because of his "attitude" toward coach Fraiser.

He also dropped in the draft because he was a pothead. There are reports of him physically assaulting a coach at Florida. He walked out of camp last year because he was 'unhappy', got into a yelling match with Frazier during a game last year and the IR fight apparently required people to hold him back before he got physical.

The only reason for not calling Harvin a cancer is because there is a more heinous disease that's more applicable. Maybe he's a clubhouse rectal plague.

He also dropped in the draft because he was a pothead. There are reports of him physically assaulting a coach at Florida. He walked out of camp last year because he was 'unhappy', got into a yelling match with Frazier during a game last year and the IR fight apparently required people to hold him back before he got physical.

The only reason for not calling Harvin a cancer is because there is a more heinous disease that's more applicable. Maybe he's a clubhouse rectal plague.

Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

A mistake? I do believe the only "mistake" was hitting someone when his drunk behind decided to get in his fancy car and drive... Sorry but 18 days or whatever it is, is not justice. Paying the family off isn't justice either... let me guess, you feel sorry for Ray Lewis too?

There is a thread in Around The NFL about Ray-Ray, and in that thread you can see my thoughts on that scumbag, but again, you ignorantly try to compare a situation where a guy who had not gotten in any trouble or stirred up any controversy messes up one time making a mistake (accident), hugely sure, but still waits with the victim after he calls 911 himself, turns himself in, never once makes a single excuse or tries to refute or do anything to lessen his punishment with the league or with the legal system, and then goes above and beyond what he had to do for the family, to situations that deal with people who have constantly done the wrong thing, consciously making those choices (not accidentally), tried covering them up and/or running and lied, and never showed any remorse or did anything that they weren't forced to do by the law or their employers or their schools/coaches. Just stop, you look ridiculous.

Damn, rectal plague? Just reading that made my sphincter clench. :ols:

Not a good deal. In between the injuries and personality issues. It's too much of a headache. I understand we need to upgrade at most all positions. However, I also believe that this coaching staff is more than capable of finding talent w/out the hangups. Last years team was fueled by RGIII's notoriety and basically everyone else's talent. We've already done the talented super star thing and it hasn't panned out for us yet.

Don't really think its a great idea, but i love the perception of how hes so injury prone because of the headaches...guy missed 3 games in his career until the ankle got him this year. He is a grinder who always shows on the injury report yet plays through the pain and produces for a team who runs him in the ground on kickoffs/punts/reverses/running plays and being a #1 WR...crazy how much they use him.

There is a thread in Around The NFL about Ray-Ray, and in that thread you can see my thoughts on that scumbag, but again, you ignorantly try to compare a situation where a guy who had not gotten in any trouble or stirred up any controversy messes up one time making a mistake (accident), hugely sure, but still waits with the victim after he calls 911 himself, turns himself in, never once makes a single excuse or tries to refute or do anything to lessen his punishment with the league or with the legal system, and then goes above and beyond what he had to do for the family, to situations that deal with people who have constantly done the wrong thing, consciously making those choices (not accidentally), tried covering them up and/or running and lied, and never showed any remorse or did anything that they weren't forced to do by the law or their employers or their schools/coaches. Just stop, you look ridiculous.

I can only imagine how you'd be in real life lol

We can agree to disagree on this one... You obviously will never see the other side of the coin.

How about this. We sign Reggie Bush or Draft Tavon Austin? It'd be less risky. One will cost just the draft pick the other just the money and they could give you similar production.

Maybe it is just me (always possible), but I really don't see Reggie Bush as a great fit for a ZBS. I definitely wouldn't mind having Tavon Austin but I have a feeling he'll be long gone before we pick in the 2nd. I see him as a high 2nd rounder or maybe a low 1st if he shows well at the combine.

I really like Harvin's game. I think over the next few years he'll be truly elite. I'd give up our second rounder. It's a huge risk, I'll admit it. But he's dynamic in a way that few players around the league are. When AP has been banged up, Harvin still produced and they found ways to get him involved. I think with a real offense and real QB (plus extension) and the off the field stuff won't be an issue.

I'd hope for a 3rd and a 6th and see if the Vikings bite. I just think he's a phenomenal player that adds a dimension that is rarely duplicated.

He was always a loose cannon but far from unmanageable. He is one of the greatest high school athletes of all time, he probably could have played in the NBA or competed in the olympics if he had chosen that path. I think he is worth a look, especially if we are talking about a 2nd rounder and maybe some bodies like Hankerson or Robinson. He has truly elite speed, our offense would be absolutely deadly with him and Garcon.

If we can trade a 3rd and a 5th for Harvin it would make us a Championship contending team now. Our defense during the win streak was playing a level that wouldn't get in the way for us going to the Superbowl. An upgrade at FS and with Rak, Carricker, and Merriweather coming back I see no reason why we wouldn't be.

Archived