Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

3rd and one of our 5ths. If they bite I think we should do it. Top 5 playmaker in the league, relatively young. Banged up last year because he was Mr. Do it All before AP got 100%. Take him off special teams and he'll be much more fresh...he would be a great fit in this offense, to say otherwise is pretty foolish.

---------- Post added February-10th-2013 at 07:17 PM ----------

I don't think offensive weapons are our problem.

See @ Pittsburgh game.

1. He's injury prone. False, he had an ankle injury this year and concussion issues previously that he seems to be past. Nothing chronic or recurring.

He had to go on IR with the ankle, has battled chronic migraines, missed a large part of a training camp with a rib injury and dealt with some hamstring issues. That's a big list for a 24 year old. To just pretned health isn't an issue would eb a foolish way of doing business.

2. He's too expensive. False, not sure what he would go for in draft picks but given the attitude baggage I don't think I would be more than Marshall's two 3s. We don't have a lot of big holes on our team anymore that would make a deal of that size unwise. Cap space? We'd certainly sign him longterm when we trade for him, and could backload the deal enough to make it possible with the penalties this year.

Two 3rds is a lot, especially for a team with no 1s for two years. That would leave us with one pick total in the first two days of the draft for the next two years. That's assuming two 3rds is the pirce, and there's no reason to assume that.

And he's going to take a big chunk of money to sign him and keep him off the FA market. That's money that you're not able to spend on other players. That's how the cap works. You can back load it, but that's just future cap space, and again, it still equals cap space that can't be spent on others.

The combo of the trade price and the cap space adds up to a lot of resources that could be used elsewhere.

Two 3rds is a lot, especially for a team with no 1s for two years. That would leave us with one pick total in the first two days of the draft for the next two years. That's assuming two 3rds is the pirce, and there's no reason to assume that.

And he's going to take a big chunk of money to sign him and keep him off the FA market. That's money that you're not able to spend on other players. That's how the cap works. You can back load it, but that's just future cap space, and again, it still equals cap space that can't be spent on others.

The combo of the trade price and the cap space adds up to a lot of resources that could be used elsewhere.

Two 3rds is not a steep price for someone young and proven, who was drafted in the 1st a couple years ago and exceeded expectations. Anyway, that was just thrown out as an example. No clue what it would take to get him. Could be more or less.

Regarding cap space, are other teams unable to pay for two good WRs? Harvin isn't going to get $10m/year I wouldnt think. Especially if we part ways with Moss, we'd have little issue paying him.

See @ Pittsburgh game.

I'm not sure how I can contend with that...

See @ New Orleans

See @ St. Louis

See vs. Cincy

See vs. Minnesota

See vs. Philly

See @ Dallas

See vs. Baltimore

See @ Cleveland

See @ Philly

See vs. Dallas

I think we scored close to or over 30 in all those games, so I'm not too concerned about the Pittsburgh and Carolina games when they are taken in context.

I saw that, just don't personally agree that we need to add much on offense.

Eh same argument could be made for defense. Couple key upgrades. But I think WR is a hole for us. Outside Garçon we don't have any real playmakers, and we saw how our passing game struggled with Garçon out.

First of all, people are really underestimating how much better he would make our offense. We would have 2 of the most dynamic explosive and athletic playmakers in the NFL on our offense, plus Garçon and Morris.

Secondly, he doesn't have injury concerns people. Get your facts straight. He messed up his ankle this year. It happens. Prior to that he missed 3 total games in 2009, 2010 and 2011 combined which were due to migraine issues he doesnt have now. RG3 left a game and didn't return 3 times this year and

missed 2 games. It happens.

Third point, his contract is I think around $2 million next year. That's pretty cheap for what he will bring on the field. Morgan and Moss could realistically be gone after next year anyway so or resigned for much cheaper if brought back so once Harvin needs an extension we will have a little extra spending money.

Fourthly, Shanahan and Griffin can keep him in line and correct any attitude issues. He if doesn't work out we can try to trade him and recoup a pick or player.

Finally, the only real reason not to bring him in is because of the picks it will cost. If it's a 3rd and say a 4th or 5th next year I think that's pretty cheap. We will likely be drafting a WR/offensive weapon this year anyway and Harvin is already better than anyone we could bring in. Heck, he was a legit MVP candidate early on this season.

You take the risk that it could be a one year rental but maybe stipulate in the deal that if we don't resign him we are only out one pick or something to try to minimize our risk.

You have to weigh that risk thought vs what he brings to the offense if it works out.

There is no way we would realistically be able to squeeze Harvin into our longterm plans. IMO, the little cap room we do have should be used on a FS, RT, LBs, and a nickle corner....to name a few besides a pricey WR.

I think Harvin could be a great weapon in this offense but not at the expense of neglecting the rest of roster. And one last point...I'd be hesitant to trade for a player that another winning team is looking to get rid of.

Eh same argument could be made for defense. Couple key upgrades. But I think WR is a hole for us. Outside Garçon we don't have any real playmakers, and we saw how our passing game struggled with Garçon out.

Sure, it's just a matter of opinion. I don't think we should spend both picks and cap space to add a WR to our highly ranked offense. Then again, if we became unstoppable on offense I could see how it would make our D more adequate. My preference is to be as balanced as possible but I'm certainly not a personnel expert.

Are there stats that I'm missing on this guy (as a WR)? I just don't see the production as a WR that is earthshatering. Please correct me (with stats) if I'm wrong.

Granted, I've never had him on my fantasy team, and only really watched him when the Skins play the vikes. But I don't see the play (at WR) that justifies the man love.

Are there stats that I'm missing on this guy (as a WR)? I just don't see the production as a WR that is earthshatering. Please correct me (with stats) if I'm wrong.

Granted, I've never had him on my fantasy team, and only really watched him when the Skins play the vikes. But I don't see the play (at WR) that justifies the man love.

I think most people would say they're not in love with him over typical WR play. He's actually a threat on a play like an end around, and it's intriguing to think of what could be drawn up with Percy Harvin in RG3's offense. Triple threat in the backfield.

Far as I'm concerned, Garcon is the 'typical' big play WR we always needed anyway. Imagine if he was healthy all year. How many more outstanding catches, broken tackles, yards after catch, and big plays does he have to make, the guy is awesome. Harvin is a good return man as well, but again, there's a reason he's on the trading block, he will probably be expensive, and I'd like to see one of our own get in the backfield if that's what Kyle wants to do.

I really just don't see why so many of you think he will be had for even a semi-cheap price, pick wise. The Vikings are going to try and recoup as much as they can. Even with his history and the fact that the Vikings seem to want to get rid of him he is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the NFL and he is only 24 years old. I think the Vikings will ask for at least a 2nd and they'll probably get it.

It would be nice to have him but its a risky proposition considering his physical as well as attitude issues and how much it would cost. I'd rather spend that (admittedly theoretical) 2nd rounder on a high quality CB or FS if possible.

I really just don't see why so many of you think he will be had for even a semi-cheap price, pick wise. The Vikings are going to try and recoup as much as they can. Even with his history and the fact that the Vikings seem to want to get rid of him he is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the NFL and he is only 24 years old. I think the Vikings will ask for at least a 2nd and they'll probably get it.

I'm not for the trade, but I'm not so sure Percy Harvin will command that much. Considering that the deal would be a one-year rental, Harvin's migraine issues (although they seem to be resolved, they could still come back) and his bad behavior, I don't know how much the Vikings can expect to get from him. They'll ask for a high pick for sure, but I think he'll go for cheap.

Keep in mind that Santonio Holmes, a Super Bowl hero who had a much better statistical year than Harvin prior to him being traded, only netted a 5th round pick and he also was in the final year of his deal.

Twitter saying:

"ECStoner: Wow. MT @SteveBateman99: Talk in Minnesota says Percy Harvin can leave for a 2nd and 4th round pick."

--http://twitter.com/ECStoner/status/300769183501791233

I personally would rather draft the next harvin, guys like a ace sanders, archer or ellington...

edit I see archer has decided to return to kent st but there are rb/wr combo types in this draft lets get our own!

Archived