Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

I just think he's a phenomenal player that adds a dimension that is rarely duplicated.

I think he is phenomenal slot receiver and could be used creatively in our zone read pistol sets as well. He would be a huge upgrade in our return game to.

However part of why he is unhappy with the Vikes is he wants paying elite receiver money. He wants to be paid like a number 1 - so $10M plus per year - and he just is not that kind of receiver. He had 1 (one) catch over 40 yards last year. Part of that was the QB play and part was the offense he was in but part is that he is just not a very good downfield or outside receiver. Most of his catches were at or close to the line of scrimmage or quick slants/drags aimed at getting him the ball and betting on his excellent broken field running to get yards after the catch. Which he does - he is excellent at that. But for $10M plus per annum I'd want more from a receiver than a great slot receiver and return guy.

Then you factor in the 'head case' problem and the possibility that his act gets old on a team which has really pulled together under a great young QB and we need to get rid of him in a couple of years a la Haynesworth. That would kills our cap plus signing him even to a backloaded deal would hamper our ability to address S, CB and RT in free agency and resign our own priority free agents like Davis and Jackson.

I think its a pipe dream anyway given our cap position but even setting that aside I just dont think he is worth the contract he seems to want whatever draft pick we would have to give up to get him. Pass!

The question is simple. If it's only going to take a 3rd rounder, would you rather he was on our team or a division rival?

I'd rather he was with us.

Its not just about the draft pick - its about the contract and cap space.

Would you rather have Percy Harvin or a good FS and new starting corner and an upgrade at RT? Also what happens when/if he blows up in your face and the backloaded contract you did to save on cap space this year and next comes crashing down on you? To answer your question directly I would rather the Cowboys, Eagles or Giants took that risk.

Is any team realistically going to give him the salary he wants? I'd trade for him and call his bluff after a year. Let him play a year with RGIII. If he plays awesome like some of us think he would, we'll have the money to pay him with our penalty ending.

Is any team realistically going to give him the salary he wants? I'd trade for him and call his bluff after a year. Let him play a year with RGIII. If he plays awesome like some of us think he would, we'll have the money to pay him with our penalty ending.

Not a bad point. Still, WR is not a huge priority, especially during the final FA period of this cap penalty.

If there were no penalty restricting the 'Skins moves it would be highly tempting for the ST aspect alone...

Its not just about the draft pick - its about the contract and cap space.

Would you rather have Percy Harvin or a good FS and new starting corner and an upgrade at RT? Also what happens when/if he blows up in your face and the backloaded contract you did to save on cap space this year and next comes crashing down on you? To answer your question directly I would rather the Cowboys, Eagles or Giants took that risk.

Obviously $12M/year or something like that is out of the question. But I think our guys could find a way to get it done. We'll be clearing a lot of cap space this year and next (Fletch, Brown, restructures), and we'll be getting our full cap back. I certainly wouldn't freak out about money if we signed him. But from the sounds of it we're not looking that way, so this is all a moot discusion anyway.

Man, four years later and we are back to this after March-19th-2009 10:04 AM:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?283300-The-official-draft-Percy-Harvin-thread/page3

Default Re: The official draft Percy Harvin thread

Harvin's injury list includes heel surgery, ankle injuries, migraine headaches, a concussion, a hip pointer, tendinitis in his Achilles' tendon and tendinitis in his knee.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/...ida-Harvin.php

I dont see him holding up in the NFL unless they use him at WR only. No Way do we even consider WR in this draft. If we did consider a WR then we would NOT look for another small wideout. Heyward Bey has size and is faster then Harvin.

OP if Erakpo, Everette Brown or Andre Smith fall to us at #13 would you trade down still to take a injury prone WR? Wait a second is that you VINNY?

Okay, I'll just put it bluntly;

Advocating a trade for Percy Harvin is hypocrisy. Period. It's asking the Redskins to make the same sort of choice that earned Vinny the title of "Worst General Manager". We're not talking about a guy with "some" baggage. We're talking about a guy who has a laundry list of behavorial issues stretching all the way back to his time in high school, up through his time in college, and now in the NFL, with an injury history on top of that, and who wants top-10 wide receiver money.

We're talking about a guy who either touched or was targeted 102 times in 9 games loudly complaining about not getting the ball more. We're talking about a guy who walked out of training camp. We're talking about a guy who threw weights at a coach, and then was scheming with other players about how to get the coach fired, and then had issues with ANOTHER head coach.

How is trading for this guy and giving him a lot of money going to FIX those problems? What happens when he doesn't like something else that happens? Is he going to chuck a barbell at Mike? Is he going to walk out of practice? Is he going to scheme to get someone fired?

That's NOT the guy this team needs, and it's not the type of guy Mike Shanahan has signed or drafted. We don't need guys like Harvin. He's not Jerry Rice. He's not Randy Moss. And he's not the only player that will ever have his skillset.

He's not worth the risk. If you don't like it, tough. If you didn't like what Vinny did, you can't be an advocate for this, period. I don't care how "stable" our organization appears to be now. Players rarely change, he's got a pattern of bad history, and he'll be expensive as hell.

Arguing otherwise is hypocrisy. It just is.

Okay, I'll just put it bluntly;

Advocating a trade for Percy Harvin is hypocrisy. Period. It's asking the Redskins to make the same sort of choice that earned Vinny the title of "Worst General Manager". We're not talking about a guy with "some" baggage. We're talking about a guy who has a laundry list of behavorial issues stretching all the way back to his time in high school, up through his time in college, and now in the NFL, with an injury history on top of that, and who wants top-10 wide receiver money.

We're talking about a guy who was either touched or was targeted 102 times in 9 games loudly complaining about not getting the ball more. We're talking about a guy who walked out of training camp. We're talking about a guy who threw weights at a coach, and then was scheming with other players about how to get the coach fired, and then had issues with ANOTHER head coach.

How is trading for this guy and giving him a lot of money going to FIX those problems? What happens when he doesn't like something else that happens? Is he going to chuck a barbell at Mike? Is he going to walk out of practice? Is he going to scheme to get someone fired?

That's NOT the guy this team needs, and it's not the type of guy Mike Shanahan has signed or drafted. We don't need guys like Harvin. He's not Jerry Rice. He's not Randy Moss. And he's not the only player that will ever have his skillset.

He's not worth the risk. If you don't like it, tough. If you didn't like what Vinny did, you can't be an advocate for this, period. I don't care how "stable" our organization appears to be now. Players rarely change, he's got a pattern of bad history, and he'll be expensive as hell.

Arguing otherwise is hypocrisy. It just is.

Agree 100%. He wants to be paid big bucks. Dream on, Percy Harvin, dream on.

I think he is phenomenal slot receiver and could be used creatively in our zone read pistol sets as well. He would be a huge upgrade in our return game to.

However part of why he is unhappy with the Vikes is he wants paying elite receiver money. He wants to be paid like a number 1 - so $10M plus per year - and he just is not that kind of receiver. He had 1 (one) catch over 40 yards last year. Part of that was the QB play and part was the offense he was in but part is that he is just not a very good downfield or outside receiver. Most of his catches were at or close to the line of scrimmage or quick slants/drags aimed at getting him the ball and betting on his excellent broken field running to get yards after the catch. Which he does - he is excellent at that. But for $10M plus per annum I'd want more from a receiver than a great slot receiver and return guy.

Then you factor in the 'head case' problem and the possibility that his act gets old on a team which has really pulled together under a great young QB and we need to get rid of him in a couple of years a la Haynesworth. That would kills our cap plus signing him even to a backloaded deal would hamper our ability to address S, CB and RT in free agency and resign our own priority free agents like Davis and Jackson.

I think its a pipe dream anyway given our cap position but even setting that aside I just dont think he is worth the contract he seems to want whatever draft pick we would have to give up to get him. Pass!

He is everybit worth 10 a year. #1 money is for players teams have to gameplan for. Which is Harvin an Elite CB can't check him without help sometimes. He can take it to the house anywhere he touches it. Actually Harvin would be more valuable to us then CJ or Fitz or Green. He can run, play slot, WR, PR, and KR.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 12:45 PM ----------

Harvin needs to be on this team. Im sorry but he's the X factor of the NFL. You put him with RG3, Garçon, ALF, n hopefully a healthy Davis? That's unstoppable. Not even counting RG3s growth. We could control the pace of games with that group. Its opens up every and anything we could do in this offense. There's no way at all for defense to stop it. NONE.

Wait, wait wait wait.

10 mil a year is suddenly ELITE WR money? Last I checked, Megatron and Fitz both make much more than that (close to 20 mil a year) and they are the "ELITE". V-Jax got nearly 10 a year and Harvin is certainly worth more than him and people wondering why the Redskins would pay Harvin more than Garcon? Because Harvin is better.

I don't think they SHOULD trade for him because they have other needs, but if its only going to take a 3rd rounder they'd be crazy not to consider it, IMO. a 5 year 55 million dollar deal is in no way some crazy thing for a guy who would finish top 10 in REC yards or TDs. Now if he wants close to 13-15 a year, then definitely not. But Megatron and Fitz getting those huge deals kind of set the bar for the elite, so criticizing a guy if he wants 10 mil a year doesn't fly to me. Admittedly, I have no idea if hes like Mike Wallace and simply wants to be the highest paid WR or if he threw out a number, but I wouldn't be bitter if the Redskins get a top flight offensive threat for 10 mil a year.

He is everybit worth 10 a year. #1 money is for players teams have to gameplan for. Which is Harvin an Elite CB can't check him without help sometimes. He can take it to the house anywhere he touches it. Actually Harvin would be more valuable to us then CJ or Fitz or Green. He can run, play slot, WR, PR, and KR.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 12:45 PM ----------

Harvin needs to be on this team. Im sorry but he's the X factor of the NFL. You put him with RG3, Garçon, ALF, n hopefully a healthy Davis? That's unstoppable. Not even counting RG3s growth. We could control the pace of games with that group. Its opens up every and anything we could do in this offense. There's no way at all for defense to stop it. NONE.

I see money as the only issue with Harvin. I'd easily give up a 3rd and one of our 5ths for him, but that contract he wants....eh.

for a guy who would finish top 10 in REC yards or TDs.

I think thats a reach given 1) he's never had a 1000 yrd REC season or more than 8 total TD's in a season 2) over 4 years his games start average is less than 70% 3) RG3 distributes the ball over the whole rec group 4) we'll be looking at 2000+ yards rushing per season.

If the cost of the trade were less and his demands were lower, yes. But they aren't and we have an 18mil cap penalty plus missing first round draft picks to deal with....

but you never know i suppose...

You lost me with that part. Saying that Harvin is more valuable than Calvin freakin' Johnson is pure unadulterated insanity; and I don't care what the system is...he would fit in anywhere. Same with Fitz or Green. Harvin is more of a slot guy, as MartinC was pointing out. You split Megatron, Fitz, Green out wide and that's an entire half of the field the defense has to focus on. Harvin is extremely talented and can be very dangerous but as a WR he is certainly no Megatron or Fitz and I would take Green over him any day of the week as well.

Percy Harvin - WR - Vikings A Vikings team source said he doesn't "think we should be at the point of being done with" Percy Harvin.

"He is a star athlete who is a great player," the source told ESPN's Josina Anderson. "Is he a volatile guy? Yes. Can he be managed? Yes. For me he is not an issue. You just have to be able to deal and manage star players." This is the wisest assessment of the Harvin situation we've seen yet. The Vikings would be crazy to sell one of the game's most valuable players for pennies on the dollar -- even if he is threatening to stage a holdout.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter Feb 13 - 12:33 PM

Previously as soon as season ended, I floated an idea out there in one of these offseason threads that the Redskins should look into acquiring Harvin.. I think he can be the x-factor in this offensive scheme. HOWEVER, there is no way that Harvin is worth that he think he is worth.. Report out about Harvin wanting top 3 WR money... thats crazy...

If we are going to pay a WR either top 5 or even top 10 money.. that WR better be able to just line up and catch the darn ball under most circumstances ala Calvin Johnson... Harvin isnt that type of WR... he is kind of like improved version of Welker... Now you put Harvin in NE type of system then yes maybe Harvin can put up the production that matches the contract he wants... Even NE thinks that Welker isn't so "special" as they refuse to give him a long term contract...

Harvin on the Redskins = GREAT

Harvin on the Redskins AND getting paid top 10 WR money = Good Luck on your career on a different team!

Would you rank Harvin over Pierre Gar$on

I would put him about the same... Pierre Garcon is #9 for 2013. He signed that contract last year without any injury, migraine or personality baggage issues AND he did not cost us any draft picks. If Harvin can be had for similar contract that Garcon got then I would live with that.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/wide-receiver/

There are some WRs that really does not belong up on the list but we also know there are WRs that should be up there but they are playing out the rookie contract like Harvin. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Victor Cruz, and Hakeem Nicks are the guys that are playing on rookie contracts I would at the minimum put them equal and probably take over Harvin but Harvin wants top 3 WR money??? Thats crazy...

Archived