Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Manti Te'o's supposedly dead girlfriend is a hoax - Deadspin

GameWinner

http://teoing.tumblr.com/

..................:ols::ols::ols:

Damn! The internet is working at record speed. :ols:

Okay, what in the world is going on?!

If he were gay, I don't think it's all that elaborate.

Exactly. To someone with a paralyzing fear of being outed, it would actually be worthwhile to create such an elaborate ruse, with the added bonus of publicity. He seems like less of a dick in this scenario, marginally so.

It is extremely depressing that we live in a culture that would allow for fear to make this a possibility, but it is what it is.

A few facts for you gossipy old women...

http://deadspin.com/5976635/notre-dame-manti-teo-was-the-victim-of-mean-internet-people

Swarbrick said Te'o had learned of the hoax in early December. Te'o told him that when he was at the ESPN awards, which aired Dec. 6, he took a phone call from a woman whose phone number matched Lennay Kekua's. "When he answered it," Swarbrick said, "it was a person whose voice sounded like the same voice he had talked to, who told him that she was, in fact, not dead." Te'o waited until Dec. 26 to inform his coaches, and he met with Swarbrick the following day. Eventually, Notre Dame hired private investigators to look into the matter.

So Te'o outed the truth himself.

Then there is this...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127469/article/notre-dame-ad-addresses-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax

Notre Dame hired a private investigation company, which gave its report to the school Jan. 4. The report included bragging and "online chatter among the perpetrators," according to Swarbrick.

And yet they didn't find any evidence that Te'o was involved.

Who knows why he acted like they had met in person. Probably he was embarrassed to tell people he had fallen for a girl he never met so he embellished the story to avoid explaining the truth. As for people claiming they met her and other side stories. It's not surprising that there are contradictions. There always are.

But the bottom line to me is that a bunch of people here have ignored some basic facts in this case and started their own little conspiracy theory complete with accusations of homosexuality and it's a pretty disgusting and disturbing view into the worst of human nature.

Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton

Manti Te'o on 12/8, 2 days after hoaxers call again: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

. . . and I'm sorry that I'm not willing to 100% buy the word of a University spokesman on this issue. You saw how it worked with Penn State, an institution like ND is going to try to protect it's image as much as possible. I will wait for investigative journalists to continue to poke holes in the story being told by these people. I have no clue (and don't really care) if he's gay/straight/whatever, but there is more than enough smoke here to wonder if Te'o was involved in this "elaborate hoax".

To anyone who has not read the article: please read it.

Manti is obviously full of ****. His father is on record as saying that he met her multiple times and Manti talked about the interactions he had with her. He is lying. Manti and his family were in on it. I'm pretty sure ND was in on it also.

Her funeral just happened to be on a day he had a game, and of course she wanted him to play.

This is sad. This guy made up an entire bull **** relationship to garner sympathy for the Heisman voting.

Swarbrick said Te'o had learned of the hoax in early December. Te'o told him that when he was at the ESPN awards, which aired Dec. 6, he took a phone call from a woman whose phone number matched Lennay Kekua's. "When he answered it," Swarbrick said, "it was a person whose voice sounded like the same voice he had talked to, who told him that she was, in fact, not dead." Te'o waited until Dec. 26 to inform his coaches, and he met with Swarbrick the following day. Eventually, Notre Dame hired private investigators to look into the matter.

Mmm. That's cute. Notre Dame had that **** covered but felt no need to make a statement until it was far too late, though they had the power to do otherwise. Because yeah, they looked into this ages ago and knew all the facts. Right.

There is still no explanation as to why the stories of how they met contradict one another, considering the source of both was Te'o himself.

Or why he had such a convenient excuse to not attend the funeral of the supposed love of his life.

Did the guy behind the hoax have the power to eliminate naysaying twitter accounts? Seems pretty intense for an internet prank.

There are too many loose ends at this point for me to start believing the first report I hear wholesale. We just had a guy come out of the woodwork to validate the existence of someone Te'o and ND both declared a hoax. This is ridiculous.

Best conspiracy theory I've read so far:

[–]Texansjacquesaustin 5 points 1 hour ago

Manti Te'o and Ronaiah Tuiasosopo were in a relationship, due to the religious and cultural backgrounds and Te'o desire to get into the NFL they probably kept it hidden. They were able to create Lennay Kekua to be the beard. As his story swirlled and he became a heisman candidate the lie became too large to keep from parents and the press, and after Ronaiah's accident they used some of the similar methods to get Lennay Kekua out of the picture (He could have spent all those hours on the phone with a recovering Roniah) As many gays know having an out of town girlfriend who was conveniently not there was one of the older tricks in the bag to stay in the closet, and Lennay Kekua being but close to Ronaiah Tuiasosopo to where Te'o could see him without drawing suspicion, since people would expect Lennay Kekua to be there as well. This was one of the only reasons I could see someone doing that, I can't see Manti or any man being duped for over a year by another guy and not knowing something was up, it just doesn't pass muster. Manti had to be in on it to some degree. He just didn't seem like the guy to create and kill a fake girlfriend to get more publicity thereby helping his draft status and possibly earning him additionally millions of dollars. (Especially since on the D side of the ball emotion can be a great motivator (See Ray Lewis). Yet it just seems from his history to not be the type to do this, yet I admit I have not followed him that much. TL;DR Manti Te'o is either a horrible person for creating and killing his girlfriend, or his fake girlfriend was cover for maybe another relationship that could have been seen as more damaging to his future. Or he is a complete dumbass.

Maybe Te'o was just embarrassed about the nature of the relationship because he never really did meet her and that it was just an online/phone relationship. So he makes up some stuff about meeting, etc all the while he doesn't ever know where she actually lives.

Well checking out twitter now, couple things becoming clear:

1. Ta'o was hoaxed.

2. Before he knew it was a hoax he played up their relationship and her death.

T'eo was not hoaxed. He was most obviously in on it. Listen to interviews he did talking about meeting her and newspaper articles about how they "met" at stanford in 2009. The twitter account pics of "LennayKay" aren't even her. It's been proven that they were someone else. I don't see how you can think he was tricked.

I think some of you aren't even reading the article. It's pretty clear he is lying about multiple elements of this. Bull ****, he wasn't "embarrassed" about meeting a girl online, he made up an entire fake relationship and even congratulated this girls "family" on national tv! Seriously how can some of you even think he isn't in on this?

T'eo was not hoaxed. He was most obviously in on it. Listen to interviews he did talking about meeting her and newspaper articles about how they "met" at stanford in 2009. The twitter account pics of "LennayKay" aren't even her. It's been proven that they were someone else. I don't see how you can think he was tricked.

Because i'm reading months old tweets from random people talking about how he's been tricked.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 01:50 AM ----------

Maybe Te'o was just embarrassed about the nature of the relationship because he never really did meet her and that it was just an online/phone relationship. So he makes up some stuff about meeting, etc all the while he doesn't ever know where she actually lives.

Just say you agree with me next time.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?378943-Manti-Te-o-s-supposedly-dead-girlfriend-is-a-hoax-Deadspin&p=9401959&viewfull=1#post9401959

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 01:53 AM ----------

Just to be clear, I do think he milked the whole thing for publicity. BEFORE he knew she was fake

Believing stuff written on twitter got us into this mess in the first place.

I'm rolling with things Te'o actually said. Like, that he met his GF in real life. And that he can't actually describe her when asked.

I mean, really, there is no way he isn't a liar. The "dumbass" option does not exist. Either he pumped up this relationship because he was embarrassed of it or he hoaxed everyone purposely.

Because i'm reading months old tweets from random people talking about how he's been tricked.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 01:50 AM ----------

Just say you agree with me next time.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?378943-Manti-Te-o-s-supposedly-dead-girlfriend-is-a-hoax-Deadspin&p=9401959&viewfull=1#post9401959

Months old tweets from random people. Gotcha.

He talks in multiple interviews about meeting her, his father talks about meeting her family and how they went on trips to hawaii together, he made up an entire fake relationship and even congratulated this girls "family" on national tv! If he was "tricked" like you seem to think, did the fake twitter person send a fake family to him on tv? This is so painfully obvious, I don't get why people believe him.

Archived