Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Manti Te'o's supposedly dead girlfriend is a hoax - Deadspin

GameWinner

I've seen that pic before what is it from?

On the topic, this reminds me a bit of the financial advisor who married that con man posing as an heir to the Rockefeller fortune. "Clark Rockefeller"-- he was able to scam a highly intelligent woman for about 8 years, convinced her his money was tied up in litigation, had a child, etc. She was an Ivy League grad, financial advisor to high end clients, very professional, allegedly intelligent. Teo doesn't strike me as all that intelligent, and its not like he married this woman and had a child. So his story is at least plausible. Seems like he got caught up in it, maybe wanted it to be true, and was just plain stupid enough and innocent enough to continue believing. Went along with a few fibs, wanted people to respect his ghost or whatever.

In any event we have one of two things here (1) a con artist with serious psychological problems, or (2) a really, really dumb athlete who has been sheltered his whole life from reality, and probably still has psychological issues.

This is totally different...that con man was in person not on the internet. You don't go on for years not physically meeting someone in person AND if you were truly that attached, you would have gone to the funeral (which did not happen).

This story keeps getting stranger by the minute. Here is something on buzzfeed.

Starting back in early December, a twitter user named jay.R tweeted about his knowledge of the Manti Te'o "Lennay Kekua" fake girlfriend hoax. First he claimed that it was inspired by the movie and TV show "Catfish."

Here is the tweet as soon as the movie Catfish opened up

enhanced-buzz-24566-1358400902-0.jpg

Then he knew that this was a fake, and he mentions the guy. This guy on twitter knew who this person was.

enhanced-buzz-24499-1358400976-0.jpg

Him and the girl exchanging tweets.

enhanced-buzz-19274-1358401218-1.jpg

Link to Article

So maybe Manti was hoaxed, and didn't know what was going on. But wouldn't you think of downloading some video IM service like oOVoo or Skype in order to see this person?

Who said you were gay ? You have a complex ? I certainly didn't imply that. Hmm...

Nor do I care if you are, to be honest.

EDIT: You think he was wearing a bandana ? More focus placed elsewhere in the pics ?

This is funny as hell. Dude says he's not gay, but what he did was gay.

I was wondering about that. Then I just blamed Lennay Kekua.

I've been off ES for a few days so who knows, but I did scan the last 40 posts and didnt see anything. So again, if I missed something (if another mod did intentionally close this), my apologies

I've been off ES for a few days so who knows, but I did scan the last 40 posts and didnt see anything. So again, if I missed something (if another mod did intentionally close this), my apologies

Yeah, I don't know. When I saw the thread closed, the first thing I did was scan the pages I missed for a mod's comment or warning. Usually something is said if for no other reason than to teach a lesson for future threads. It's the lack of comment that made me wonder.

T my older brother is still heartbroken about a girl he met online and dated for around 5 years on and off and never met. Weird absolutely, but it does happen more often than you would think.

5 years? weird isnt the word to describe 'dating' someone for 5 years and never meeting them. i can see becoming friends with someone. but to the point where its 'dating'? for 5 years? was she in a turkish prison? thats one of the craziest things ive ever heard.

How Did Football Star Manti Te’o Get Catfished by a Fake Dead Girl? Six Theories to Explain the Year’s Craziest Story

http://gawker.com/5976828/how-did-football-star-manti-teo-get-catfished-by-a-fake-dead-girl-six-theories-to-explain-the-years-craziest-story?utm_source=jalopnik.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

Manti Te'o Is Gay and the "Hoaxer" Is His Boyfriend

Proposed by: Lavar Arrington and Chad Dukes

Evidence for: Te'o and Tuiascopo are devoutly religious football players — two subcultures not known for their friendliness to same-sex attraction. The hoax could have been a way for the two to be publicly affectionate without being open about their relationship.

Evidence against: A lot of — most — closeted gay people in relationships manage to maintain lives without constructing elaborate, highly public, fictional relationships with leukemia patients.

And LaVar continues to be an embarrassment to the redskins...

How Did Football Star Manti Te’o Get Catfished by a Fake Dead Girl? Six Theories to Explain the Year’s Craziest Story

http://gawker.com/5976828/how-did-football-star-manti-teo-get-catfished-by-a-fake-dead-girl-six-theories-to-explain-the-years-craziest-story?utm_source=jalopnik.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

And LaVar continues to be an embarrassment to the redskins...

Not really in this regard... it's the theory that makes the most sense.

Thamel released the transcript of the interview he did with Te'o for the SI cover story. Manti has some serious explaining to do

Transcript

Actually, reading that transcript makes me more likely to believe that Te'o was catfished. He is clearly making up a few things, but it feels like he is just trying to fill in details to avoid the embarrassment of admitting that he never really met his "girlfriend." Other parts of the story, like Kekua's brother reading her iPad letters to him or breathing into the phone, sound like something that Tuiasosopo and his friends easily could have done. It's a crazy story either way.

Not really in this regard... it's the theory that makes the most sense.

If there was a single shred of evidence that he was in fact gay, you might have a point. But REALITY is that there is NO evidence to support such a wild claim.

Reality is that I could claim that you are gay and the true person behind the Kekua persona and it would hold just about as much water.

If there was a single shred of evidence that he was in fact gay, you might have a point. But REALITY is that there is NO evidence to support such a wild claim.

Reality is that I could claim that you are gay and the true person behind the Kekua persona and it would hold just about as much water.

Just so you know, Lavar and Dukes didn't make that suggestion up. It has been suggested by a lot of people, including a lot of gay people. The behavior and the circumstances tend to fit a common pattern of closeted gays from conservative households and religions who are seeking to fend off inquiries into their lack of a girlfriend/wife. At least one gay friend of mine had an imaginary girlfriend when he was young and foolish. It was easier to lie than to deal with coming out.

Archived