Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Manti Te'o's supposedly dead girlfriend is a hoax - Deadspin

GameWinner

Or he was sheletered. Or his religion (Mormon) came into play.

But lets not explore all options when we can jump to one conclusion (which is an option, though I personally think its more naive and embarassment then being gay in this case)

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 09:36 AM ----------

So is Manti Te'o a first round pick again? I didn't really follow the story TBH. Didn't know the Kekua story before all this broke, didn't feel compelled to sort through all the bad information, my only care was, "is this kid a crazy, pathological liar or not (is he draftable?)"

I thought he was a high pick, but he had a TERRIBLE NC game. Granted it is hard for a LB to make plays when the D-LINE is sucking. But I felt Teo was reading the holes wrong and got run over....a lot.

That said, I think he has pretty much cleared his name. He lied, and it was because he was both confused and embarassed. IMO a bad reason to lie, but as others have said he is a kid and made a stupid decision. He was not the first, and I doubt he will be the last

Or he was sheletered. Or his religion (Mormon) came into play.

But lets not explore all options when we can jump to one conclusion (which is an option, though I personally think its more naive and embarassment then being gay in this case)

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 09:36 AM ----------

I thought he was a high pick, but he had a TERRIBLE NC game. Granted it is hard for a LB to make plays when the D-LINE is sucking. But I felt Teo was reading the holes wrong and got run over....a lot.

That said, I think he has pretty much cleared his name. He lied, and it was because he was both confused and embarassed. IMO a bad reason to lie, but as others have said he is a kid and made a stupid decision. He was not the first, and I doubt he will be the last

Ding! The kid damn sure made mistakes. And when the local newspaper originally played up the story he ran with it like most people would who find themselves in a giant spotlight of national attention. Like I said, he seems to be just a big naive kid who happens to be a pretty good football player. But to call him a "douchebag" as some have done or make claims about his sexuality without a single shred of actual evidence is just wrong.

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 06:11 PM ----------

Wow.

I'm wondering how a star college football player ends up searching for love online. Why didn't he just get a real girlfriend?

He didn't search. "She" contacted him, and if you've seen the picture that he thought was her you probably understand the desire to believe she was real too. ....unless of course you're gay. :ols:

(nothing personal bro - just having fun with the irony :-)

Well, considering this is now the 21st century and we're all a bit more enlightened and tolerant, I for one believe that Manti should give Tuiassopo a chance. Their relationship was real, they spent an incredible amount of time in conversation, emotional highs and lows, shared experiances, etc. Love truly blossomed. It would be ignorant and homophobic for Manti to not consider a relationship with him at this point.

Because he's gay and was making up a fake girlfriend?

Is Te'o gay? I thought Tuiassopo was gay and pretended to be a chick to get Te'o's attention.

He didn't search. "She" contacted him, and if you've seen the picture that he thought was her you probably understand the desire to believe she was real too. ....unless of course you're gay. :ols:

(nothing personal bro - just having fun with the irony :-)

Yeah, "she" contacted him, but I'm sure almost every dude out there who spends any significant amount of time on social networks gets contacted by more than one flirty "hot girl" over the internet. That doesn't mean you just drop everything and start a relationship with them. I never understood online dating anyway, though. It's way too easy for people to fake things when they're not actually there with you.

Haha, I haven't actually seen the picture of her. Is she a siren or a mermaid? Are you enchanted into falling in love with her just by looking into her eyes? Because, honestly, when you're online, if it's too good to be true... it probably is. There should have been a thousand warning bells and red flags going off in his head. Unless he's just unbelievably naive.

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 06:08 PM ----------

Because he's gay and was making up a fake girlfriend?
Well, considering this is now the 21st century and we're all a bit more enlightened and tolerant, I for one believe that Manti should give Tuiassopo a chance. Their relationship was real, they spent an incredible amount of time in conversation, emotional highs and lows, shared experiances, etc. Love truly blossomed. It would be ignorant and homophobic for Manti to not consider a relationship with him at this point.

Dude, this would be a horrible idea. He deceived Te'o for three years into thinking he was someone entirely different, there's no love in that.

Yeah, I had to read that post 3-4 times just to try and figure out whether he was joking or not. I don't hate gay people, or feel uncomfortable around gay people, but I think that it is incredibly dumb to just label someone an ignorant homophobe, who isn't gay for one, and sure as hell doesn't want to be in a relationship with a guy guy who came onto him, no matter the level of "Connection" that they had over the phone. The dude (Tuiasosopo) doesn't need to be in a relationship with Te'o, he needs psychiatric care.

Dude, this would be a horrible idea. He deceived Te'o for three years into thinking he was someone entirely different, there's no love in that.

Love works in mysterious ways...... and yes, I was joking, but i had a professor in a certain class of mine who advocated this line of logic (gender is irrelevant, you should look only to the person, if you consider other factors you are biased and in need of psychological cleansing, etc.)

Love works in mysterious ways...... and yes, I was joking, but i had a professor in a certain class of mine who advocated this line of logic (gender is irrelevant, you should look only to the person, if you consider other factors you are biased and in need of psychological cleansing, etc.)

Gender is not another factor, it's part of the person, You should also look to your own person, and your attraction to a certain gender is part of that.

That's one thing about college I find really obnoxious. Professors get paid good money to just rant about nonsense like they're on an internet message board.

Is Te'o gay? I thought Tuiassopo was gay and pretended to be a chick to get Te'o's attention.

Yeah, "she" contacted him, but I'm sure almost every dude out there who spends any significant amount of time on social networks gets contacted by more than one flirty "hot girl" over the internet. That doesn't mean you just drop everything and start a relationship with them. I never understood online dating anyway, though. It's way too easy for people to fake things when they're not actually there with you.

Haha, I haven't actually seen the picture of her. Is she a siren or a mermaid? Are you enchanted into falling in love with her just by looking into her eyes? Because, honestly, when you're online, if it's too good to be true... it probably is. There should have been a thousand warning bells and red flags going off in his head. Unless he's just unbelievably naive.

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 06:08 PM ----------

Dude.If you actually read the details of the story, Te'o has explained that he checked with friends who "knew her" (at least they thought they did) and they told him she was real. He has also said that his feelings only got more serious in the last year. He didn't "just drop everything and start a relationship". :doh:

But at least we agree on one thing...

grhqofb5 - Have you lost your friggin mind?

A) The entire relationship was built on lies and manipulation by Tuiassopo.

B) It would NOT be "ignorant and homophobic" to not want a relationship with a serial liar who happens to be a man (although I use that term loosely here) when in fact you are attracted to women. it would be NORMAL.

C) Your suggestion is one of the dumbest things I have read here in quite some time.

Glad to hear that you were joking but you may want to put a smilie at the end to be clear. The way it reads makes you sound serious and well.. lets just say not as bright as you actually are. :)

There is a lesson of to be learned here in understanding how two people of the same sex can form such a bond but I'm not sure if your joke conveyed it as well as your explanation.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 04:47 PM ----------

Mad Mike just wondering why you are so defensive of Te'o in this situation. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I'm just curious if you have some personal stake in the story or some kind of emotional connection or investment with it.

I just don't like seeing people treated unfairly.

I'm really good at reading people and I have a REALLY good sense for when people are lying and when they are telling the truth. On an emotional level, Manti Te'o is a 14 year old boy in a mans body. He's been taken for a ride by a very disturbed person, he was encouraged to hype the relationship by the media who wanted a great story, and then torn apart by the public who has accused him of everything from being part of the hoax, to lying for the fame, to being gay himself.

Te'o may have lied at times but it was not for fame, it was because of embarrassment. Embarrassment at first of being in a relationship with someone he never actually met, and later when suddenly put on the spot, on national TV at the Heisman presentation. (BTW - I wanna know who here would have tried to explain the truth at that moment, on that stage)

Perhaps it all boils down to this....

What started out as a crazy story that invited all kinds of questions has been quickly cleared up with facts, interviews with everyone from the principles to witnesses, and confessions. It was interesting to me as a "who done it" from that standpoint. But the truth is out now and from a purely intellectual standpoint I find it amazing and downright disturbing how many people are willing to ignore the truth and continue to blindly follow their own prejudices.

Wow.

I'm wondering how a star college football player ends up searching for love online. Why didn't he just get a real girlfriend?

Te'o was Mormon at a Catholic university ... I can understand the looking online and talking over the telephone thing, what I don't buy is the "for 3 years part".

What started out as a crazy story that invited all kinds of questions has been quickly cleared up with facts, interviews with everyone from the principles to witnesses, and confessions. It was interesting to me as a "who done it" from that standpoint. But the truth is out now and from a purely intellectual standpoint I find it amazing and downright disturbing how many people are willing to ignore the truth and continue to blindly follow their own prejudices.

I don't hate Te'o and I don't think I am prejudiced when I say that this whole thing wasn't "quickly cleared up" and that it still remains weird to me. But I'm not invested enough in it to squabble anymore. :whoknows:

Archived