Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Redskins Sign a big name receiver in the Off Season?

bops

^I think Cribbs would be a great addition because he can return KOs also.

We should add another receiver, but we have a bigger need a playmaker in our secondary, a nose tackle, or RT. Since theres more free agent WR talent this year, we should add a mid-card to make our offense even more threatening. I can't wait to have Fred Davis back too.

If you look at the top issues this team needs to address, they'd be: keeping Griffin healthy; improving our pass rush, and limiting the opponent's passing game (at least the big plays). I read that as us needing o-line help, a pass rusher, safeties (and probably corners) and maybe a 3rd down back... not so much a stud wr (not that that'd hurt).

In terms of improving our passing game, if Davis comes back (healthy) for us, I think he'll fit the bill. Remember, Davis and Garçon haven't really been on the field together. Seeing Davis' blocking improve so greatly makes him an even bigger loss than his quality production indicates.

This is already a very dangerous offense, add a pass-catching back and a RT and this offense would be that much harder to stop/defend. Heck, we're easily a top 10 offense in all the stats that really matter, so a massive (read: costly) upgrade is less necessary.

Factor in the concerns with T. Jackson (and C. Griffin), Orakpo/Merriweather/Helu/Bernstine's health, Fletcher's age, Hall's contract, Davis' status and the poor play of M. Williams, and it pretty easy to ignore our wr group.

Long story short, as others have said it would be nice, but it's not one of our top priorities. Also, we're a bit short on cash since the robbery.

this has probably been said before, but we have the 5th rated offense based on yards and 7th on points. this is basically without davis and garcon on the field at the same time. we have a horrible defense even though they've had stretches of being ok lately. let's focus on d.

I think they should go bargain hunting. Save the cap space for positions that are hurting more. Send offers to Amendola, who would thrive in this system but would be cheaper than Welker, and give Ted Ginn Jr. a second chance to save his career. Top candidates like Dwayne Bowe, Welker, and Greg Jennings will cost too much when we need a whole new secondary.

John Mara has already answered your question.

We have too many more pressing needs, and too little cap space to work with, to even contemplate this in 2013. We roll with what we have, and anyone that fits that's cheap and upgrades next year. Garcon's a bona fide #1, and it's another year of development for the likes of Hank and Aldrick.

Hail.

Don't they already have a big name receiver in Garcon?

I don't care about names. I care about impact. Garcon is definitely a big-impact receiver. That being said, I agree with your sentiment that we have other needs (OL, S, CB, ILB (to eventually replace Fletch)).

No, our receiving corp is well balanced. We have a gray beard who probably has at least one or two good years left in Moss. Two in their prime vets in Garcon and Morgan who both contribute and two pups in Hankerson and Robinson who are really getting their first game day experience this year and likely will improve. There's no need to break the bank on a receiver... especially considering how overall effective our passing game has been.

I would say we should probably invest in a big-time Free Safety. Provided that Merriweather comes back from his ACL tear, we could be looking at having a pretty decent back end of our defense if we do so. We saw what a hard hitting safety like Merriweather can do to spark the attitude of this secondary (holding the Iggles to 6 points). Are there any in the draft we might be able to acquire with our second round pick?

Who are you going to give up on at WR, to make a spot? Moss is a candidate, I suppose. Briscoe will likely walk.

Overpriced FA | Garcon | Morgan | Hank | Robinson

Since we will most likely run mostly 2WR sets again next year, I see much bigger needs.

The biggest is a viable 3rd down back, or backup to Morris, or both. Royster is not cutting it. I fear "Heelu" is just too injury prone to count on to last a year. A young guy with double Achilles - he may well be cut.

I think we need an upgrade at RT, a bulldozer more than a pure finesse guy, if its possible. We need someone that can hold up under a pass rush for those times late in games down 2 scores, when play action is not viable.

Absolutely terrible idea, and not just because we have some major needs in other places.

With the way the Redskins run their offense, you have multiple receivers running a lot of the same routes. The Skins run/read option game is progressing quite nicely, and WRs are getting wide open. Having a guy like on the talent level of Greg Jennings would be great of course, but the amount of impact would pale in comparison to having a really good cover corner or a beast safety.

The Skins still have an $18M cap hit coming this offseason. They need to be smart with their money. Spending $60M on Greg Jennings is not being smart. Spending $60M on Greg Jennings is being Vinny Cerrato.

No, our receiving corp is well balanced.

I'll take this a bit further, I think our team, while not exaclty there, is well balanced. Last thing we need a is a high priced WR, who odds our will be a diva, to throw off what we are working towards.

I say, shore up the TE position by signing Fred or a young pass catcher that is a worst, willing to block here and there.

While I love what the Skins offense is doing this year, I think there was a HUGE drop off when Garcon went down. I'd rather draft a guy and develop him though, as opposed to spending big $ on and FA.

I also think that this team could use a big body WR to help in the red zone, and to out muscle DBs. I'd love to see Da'rick Rogers fall to where the Skins could get him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Think he'd be an awesome counterpart to Garcon.

Honestly, we all would love to have Bowe or Jennings or Wallace, but the guy that I want, and that we could get really cheap is Ramses Barden.

Dudes like 6'7" and can play. He showed that vs Carolina on the TNF game.

Giants just dont ever play him. But Coughlin never played Cruz until their entire team got hurt, and look how good he turned out. We could get Barden for a steal and finally have the tall red zone threat we need. I actually would want him more than the big name guys!

His ego would be a cancer. Shanny has worked hard cutting the fat from this team.

You lost me when you said he had an ego.

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 10:45 AM ----------

I don't want that salsa-dancing buffoon anywhere near this team!

I think you'd like his salsa dancing a lot more if he was doing it for us ;)

Archived