Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Redskins Sign a big name receiver in the Off Season?

bops

Jairus Bryd would be absolute money. If he were our only FA signing (aside from re-signing our own guys) I think we'd be doing just fine. Hopefully he actually tests the market and we get a shot at him. But I don't see any need to sign any offensive players other than perhaps linemen or running back depth. Byrd would make a big improvement in our secondary and allow us to be more flexible in the draft. He should definitely be our top priority.

Can't see them letting Byrd walk for a second...he's so top flight it's not even funny.

I'll be happy with Tanard Jackson and Brandon Meriweather to be quite honest. But we only got that in training camp.

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 10:26 AM ----------

No brainer. First, I am not saying we should push for Clady. I was saying Clady will be franchised if the Broncos can't resign him. If we did sign him though, someone would have to play RT. Clady has been as good or better than Trent this year and Trent is a natural brawler of a RT who played RT at Oklahohoma before his final year.

In any case, I would be happy with signing Byrd. We need upgrades at CB, safety and in the pass rush. I'd still like a big talented outside receiver though.

Clady will be expensive as hell. And why on earth would you stunt Trent Williams and place him on the right? He's RG3's man, Trent was a successful draft pick and he's playing out of his MIND. He's a top tier LT.

Your argument is for getting a player we most likely won't get, and to stop the scheme of things as being successful right now. There will be good options at RT left around, plus the draft options. I'm not really too concerned about it, this team has lots of ability to improve in the off-season but blowing it all up for Clady would be silly. It's apparent that Shanahan can build his line through easier methods.

Jarius Byrd seems to be hurt a lot and miss a lot of games. Check history. I live out here near Buffalo and listen to their sports radio every day. They love Byrd here... and they don`t let him plan on leaving if they can avoid it. However, seems like he`s always missing a tonne of game with injury... and he`s always on the injury report and missing every practice.

But when he plays.... he`s a ball hawk.

Can't see them letting Byrd walk for a second...he's so top flight it's not even funny.

I'll be happy with Tanard Jackson and Brandon Meriweather to be quite honest. But we only got that in training camp.

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 10:26 AM ----------

Clady will be expensive as hell. And why on earth would you stunt Trent Williams and place him on the right? He's RG3's man, Trent was a successful draft pick and he's playing out of his MIND. He's a top tier LT.

Your argument is for getting a player we most likely won't get, and to stop the scheme of things as being successful right now. There will be good options at RT left around, plus the draft options. I'm not really too concerned about it, this team has lots of ability to improve in the off-season but blowing it all up for Clady would be silly. It's apparent that Shanahan can build his line through easier methods.

I don't doubt that Buffalo will do everything in their power to lock him up before he ever sees the market. Especially after all they've invested in their defense, it wouldn't make sense to let a guy as good and young as Byrd walk. If for some crazy reason he does hit the market though, he should absolutely be our #1 priority.

But I agree, I would not be upset if we approached next season with Meriweather and Jackson. I think they are both talented safeties that bring plenty to the table and allow us to be more aggressive with other holes on this team. I'm extremely disappointed we only got to see 1/2 of football from both of them combined this year because Jackson looked great in preseason and so did Meriweather in his limited action in the regular season. They both play with a nasty streak and an attitude that permeates through the defense. One final word on safety: it will be interesting to see how far Tyrann Mathieu falls in the draft....

But as far as RT goes, I'm interested to see how much Compton develops by next year and if he is ready to compete for playing time. I would not be surprised to see us bring in someone but I'm not sure what the market is going to offer. What I do know is that Compton is a quality player and received several offers from other teams trying to steal him from our PS. We had to raise his salary and have now added him to the active roster. Polumbus is not altogether terrible, but if Compton or a young free agent can push Polumbus down on the depth chart, I would be happy.

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 10:39 AM ----------

Jarius Byrd seems to be hurt a lot and miss a lot of games. Check history. I live out here near Buffalo and listen to their sports radio every day. They love Byrd here... and they don`t let him plan on leaving if they can avoid it. However, seems like he`s always missing a tonne of game with injury... and he`s always on the injury report and missing every practice.

But when he plays.... he`s a ball hawk.

Really? I've not heard that. You may be right about him missing practice time (I have no idea) but other than the two games he missed at the end of his rookie season, he hasn't missed a game since (3 years) and he's only not started in 2 of those.

So perhaps he misses some practices or gets banged up but he certainly doesn't miss games, let alone a lot of them. Not sure where you got that idea.

No brainer. First, I am not saying we should push for Clady. I was saying Clady will be franchised if the Broncos can't resign him. If we did sign him though, someone would have to play RT. Clady has been as good or better than Trent this year and Trent is a natural brawler of a RT who played RT at Oklahohoma before his final year.

In any case, I would be happy with signing Byrd. We need upgrades at CB, safety and in the pass rush. I'd still like a big talented outside receiver though.

One word: Nope

Same here. How many Packers receivers go on to be super stars elsewhere? They have so many good targets to choose from but I wouldn't say any one of them are better than a healthy Garçon. Bringing in a mercenary would disrupt the chemistry of the group now and hamper the growth that we've seen in the young guys. Like Hankerson. Garçon and Morgan have had a HUGE positive impact on the young guys. Aldrick Robinsons route running has improved. I'm happy where we are now.

I don't think a big name is what this team needs. I would rather see them continue to build in the exact same method. I guess it all depends on the salary cap though. If you're going to make splashes in free agency I'm ok with doing it on a corner, safety, and linemen on both sides of the ball. I would rather stay away from WR, QB, RB

I don't think the Skins should be actively pursuing free-agent WRs to sign during THIS upcoming off-season. Here's why:

1. In 2013, Pierre Garcon will be 27 and his base salary gets bumped up another 3.5 million. This is all money well spent for an impact receiver entering his prime -- but under in a cap-penalized year, it hinders the chances of signing another big name receiver (like Bowe or Wallace) to play opposite him.

2. In 2013, Joshua Morgan will be 28 and in the second (and the more expensive) year of the 'guaranteed portion' of his contract. If he pans out, the Skins might opt to keep him for three more years. Bringing in a high-priced free-agent for his position, means that the Skins plan to part ways after 2013-- but that means $6.75 million for a backup or a cap hit. IMO Morgan is showing a lot more as he gets used to this system, and is entering the productive years for a WR.

3. In 2013, Santana Moss will be 34 and in the final year of his contract. He's be a big cap hit if he's released. He's been a big contributor as the slot receiver, so I don't see the Skins going out and getting a Wes Welker or Johnny Knox to replace his eventual departure, unless Moss was traded. More likely Moss plays out his contract in 2013, and the Skins look for a young replacement -- either in the draft, in the 2013 waivers, or in the next offseaon.

4. In 2013, Leonard Hankerson will be 24 and effectively with 1.5 years NFL experience. His contract is very reasonable, and he seems to be improving from his hip injury and learning better technique under WRs coach Hilliard. 2013 or maybe the 2014 pre-season will be when the Skins make the decision on whether Hankerson is a keeper and perhaps the successor to Morgan. I can't see the Skins wanting to sign a replacement for Hankerson, until they've given him one more full year to show what kind of receiver he can become. (I suspect the Skins may feel his apprenticeship under former WR coach McCardell was 'lost time', and might see 2013 as Hankerson's 'real' second season.)

5. In 2013, Alderick Robinson will be barely 25, in a very affordable contract and only an RFA in 2014. Effectively with 1 year NFL experience he's shown his speed, but is still quite unfinished. If he can continue to improve under WR Coach Hilliard, he might nail down the flanker position. Robinson needs more evaluation under game conditions, so I don't see the Skins trying to bring in a Devery Henderson speed burner, when Robinson seems to be starting to fulfill that role well.

6. In 2013, Dezmon Briscoe will be barely 24, in the last year of an afordable contract. He's big and solid, and runs good routes -- but seems to be in Shanahan's dog-house. He might be given one more year to stick with the team, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Skins try to bring a free agent to replace his red-zone skill-set (for example someone tall like Ramses Barden.)

Bottom Line: The Skins are probably going to look for backup candidates rather than super-stars, because they need the cap money to use on the defense, on a Right Tackle, and on re-signing Fred Davis. They're still evaluating their corp of young WRs, so any new WRs brought in would be more frugal signings to increase competition for the flanker, slot, and red-zone roles.

If you go back and read my posts, my first post about Clady, was asking why other posters kept referencing signing him as a possibility. Clady will be resigned or franchised. The rest of the post, the Williams to RT and Clady at LT bit, was just just conjecture on what we would even do if we signed Clady. I stand by that assessment. Trent would move to the right. I agree however that it doesn't matter. Clady is staying in Denver.

In terms of a receiver, we definitely have bigger needs. I still think we need another receiver. The night and day difference in the offense with and without Garcon speaks to that.

Archived