Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Redskins Sign a big name receiver in the Off Season?

bops

tumblr_m6tdffxE9t1qcwic6.gif

.....the shanahans' and allen are going to continue to build this team through the draft....and stay young....around griffin.

....similar to the way belicheck built and re-built around brady.....and how reid kept philly young for years.

the days of signing "big names" in washington are in the past.

No, i think we're to the point where we dont really need to go out and get any names or big splashy signings.

we have some needs to address but WR isn't one of them.

I like Bowe, but with Garcon there's no need. Garcon is going to be a solid number 1, if he's not already.

I want to see Hankerson after he's 100% back from his hip.. both in his body and mind. I want to see Robinson develop.

Moss is getting up there, but he's not done yet, i believe

~Bang

Snyder needs to throw all the money he can at RT Ryan Clady. And the rest on a top notch safety.

He's balled out this year and with Denver's investment in Manning, It's gonna be tough to throw enough $$ his way. He is a LT too and I don't think he'll want to switch.

Lost in all the WR chatter is Hankerson quietly putting together a solid basically rookie campaign. 40 catches 500 yards ain't to shabby, especially as rookie WRs take a couple years to develop. Hell, he has made more of an impact this year than Devin Thomas' entire NFL career.

I am of the impression that we do not need big name WR's. Have you guys seen how wide open our WR's regularly get? Just give me guys that can run sharp routes, good hands and out run defenders. Guys in the Amendola and Welker molds will do just fine. I want to spend what little bit of cap space we have on OL and the defensive backfield. IMO Jarius Byrd should be a top target.

For those rallying for Dwayne Bowe... have you actually seen him play? He's terrible... He can't catch a cold and drops about 4 out of 5 passes thrown to him in the wide open. He's a "run before the catch" receiver way too often. Only guy i'd take on there is Greg Jennings and if he comes cheap becuase of his injuries. Mike Wallace has even had a bad year

There are a great deal more positions we need to secure before drafting another receiver. Like Alfred Morris, we might save a late draft pick for a diamond in the rough. Perhaps there might be a free agent worth considering. As for the draft, let's focus our attention on an OL and defensive players. My :2cents:

For those rallying for Dwayne Bowe... have you actually seen him play? He's terrible... He can't catch a cold and drops about 4 out of 5 passes thrown to him in the wide open. He's a "run before the catch" receiver way too often. Only guy i'd take on there is Greg Jennings and if he comes cheap becuase of his injuries. Mike Wallace has even had a bad year

Id honestly rather have Barden then Bowe or Wallace. Barden will come super cheap, hes like 4 inches taller then Bowe and like a foot taller than wallace (lol @ exaggeration). But hes also quite fast, and this guy has the longest arms Ive ever seen. I honestly feel like he hasnt gotten a fair shot at NY because of Nicks and Cruz. I think he will be a beast somewhere, why not come here.

Listen, the one thing Im good at is predicting no name WRs being great. I predicted Cruz would be amazing after watching his preseason games, even before the Jets/Giants where he scored 3 tds (I know theres no proof, but I did).

I predicted that TY Hilton was going to be a monster, and I predicted that Stevie Johnson was going to be the man in Buffalo years before he was. I know WR's, and Im telling ya, Ramses Barden WILL be the next Randy Moss, I hope we get him. And he will come super cheap.

It wouldnt hurt of course not, i wouldnt spend big money though on a receiver, we could always use help with pass catchers but i think we will be alright especially with Fred Davis coming back healthy.

We have way too many other glaring needs to really throw too much money on receivers, such as defensive back

We literally have 99 problems and a WR isn't the biggest one

Huh?

Safety, cornerback, ILB, RT are our only real problem areas.

Safety has a good chance at being resolved next year. A healthy Meriweather and a reinstated Jackson.

ILB doesn't need to be addressed outright unless Fletch doesn't come back.

We're in a rare (for us) position this offseason. We only really need to focus on two areas in the draft - CB and RT. Then we can draft for depth.

But I agree that we don't need to worry about WR.

You guys keep saying we can't afford anybody, but that's just not true. I expect to see some of the vets like Moss, Hall, J. Brown and Fletcher either get cut for salary or brought back at a reduced number. Also, Trent most likely would need a re-do to lower his number.

We were strapped for TWO years with the 18 million each year, but now that will only be one year. You can still sign guys to multi year deals, with the first year being a lower number to stay under the cap and penalty. 2014 we're free and clear.

***** and to make it clear, I'm not for the idea to go and sign a big name WR. I still think we will need depth for next year, but not necessarily a high priced one. I was just stating that it won't be impossible to afford one.

I want to fix the secondary and more depth on defense. I think we can get our RT in the draft with our 2nd round or 3rd round pick.

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 12:17 PM ----------

Bowe would be nice, great hands but undisciplined route runner which does not fit a new QB well.

He's not a big Yards After Catch guy either. I'd rather get a guy that can get what Shanny wants- YAC.

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 12:19 PM ----------

If you look at the top issues this team needs to address, they'd be: keeping Griffin healthy; improving our pass rush, and limiting the opponent's passing game (at least the big plays). I read that as us needing o-line help, a pass rusher, safeties (and probably corners) and maybe a 3rd down back... not so much a stud wr (not that that'd hurt).

In terms of improving our passing game, if Davis comes back (healthy) for us, I think he'll fit the bill. Remember, Davis and Garçon haven't really been on the field together. Seeing Davis' blocking improve so greatly makes him an even bigger loss than his quality production indicates.

This is already a very dangerous offense, add a pass-catching back.

We already have one. His name is Roy Helu, Jr.

The biggest is a viable 3rd down back, or backup to Morris, or both. Royster is not cutting it. I fear "Heelu" is just too injury prone to count on to last a year. A young guy with double Achilles - he may well be cut.

Helu was hurt trying to be the primary back. I'm not sure he recovered from the 2011 beating. I think he'll be healthy and fine for 2013 in a reduced role of 3rd down back with his speed. I think Royster is the one that gets cut. He brings nothing to the table that Morris or Helu doesn't bring.

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

Id honestly rather have Barden then Bowe or Wallace. Barden will come super cheap, hes like 4 inches taller then Bowe and like a foot taller than wallace (lol @ exaggeration). But hes also quite fast, and this guy has the longest arms Ive ever seen. I honestly feel like he hasnt gotten a fair shot at NY because of Nicks and Cruz. I think he will be a beast somewhere, why not come here.

Listen, the one thing Im good at is predicting no name WRs being great. I predicted Cruz would be amazing after watching his preseason games, even before the Jets/Giants where he scored 3 tds (I know theres no proof, but I did).

I predicted that TY Hilton was going to be a monster, and I predicted that Stevie Johnson was going to be the man in Buffalo years before he was. I know WR's, and Im telling ya, Ramses Barden WILL be the next Randy Moss, I hope we get him. And he will come super cheap.

I wouldn't mind that. Rueben Randle has stepped up as their 3rd WR and they still have Hixon and Jurnigan. Barden balled against the Panthers earlier this year.

Archived