Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook hates: Beer Snobs and Hipsters with their stupid goddamn IPAs

Westbrook36

I never even thought about IPA's like the before this thread. WB may have a point though about how common they are with ridiculous names. I must be really oblivious that hipsters like them though. I just thought they were really popular beers.

Stone make some awesome IPA's. My Dad lives in San Diego and his company holiday party was at Stone Brewery the other night. I was a bit jealous

Where are you all finding the Merry Mischief? I need to drink me some of that.

IPA's are becoming increasingly common, but I wouldn't necessary equate hipster love for them as the reason. IPA's are easier to brew and harder to mess up since they are more hopped. There are tons of new breweries in just the past 5 years alone that all need to carry some standards. A Light Ale/Pilsner, IPA, and some kind of red/amber and a stout generally are those beers. Since IPA's are even easier to brew, new breweries are making them to help break in.

The newer trend actually is Black IPA's, soo good. I am an IPA fan, but only when seasonally appropriate.

Also, those who think some beers are good just because they are a "lager" or are from a foreign country, terrible logic. Every country has good and bad beers, just the nature of it. For me to say a Warsteiner or Lowenbrau is good because it's from Germany is just like a European saying Coors Light is a good beer.

hates miller light because of commercials....plays black ops non stop.

Because the amount of Black Ops commercials matches that of beer commercials. :rolleyes: Commercials are definitely not the only reason I dislike American lagers, and I haven't played COD since last week. It just so happens I have a decent SPM and can get far with little playing time. I'm a very casual gamer these days. Gamer snobs are definitely more outspoken about each others' games than beer snobs are about popular lagers. I have to listen to herds of nerds tell me how unbelievably bad the game I play is, all the ****in' time.

Beer snobs, which is an ironically condescending term in itself ("You're a snob because you call our cornwater names!"), we are a chill bunch of dudes. We aren't faking that we enjoy these beers, it's not to be cool. I like IPAs because I like them. I know, difficult concept. Simple explanation. I may not enjoy a food or beverage you prefer, but you won't catch me trying to demean you for it.

Also, those who think some beers are good just because they are a "lager" or are from a foreign country, terrible logic. Every country has good and bad beers, just the nature of it. For me to say a Warsteiner or Lowenbrau is good because it's from Germany is just like a European saying Coors Light is a good beer.

Germany has a purity law dating from the 1400s. They have been brewing lagers for centuries. The Belgians have been brewing ales and lagers in the same breweries since the 1500s with the same cultural dedication that the French give to wine.

Lowenbrau is owned by Anheuser Busch. It's about as German as Bud is nowadays

It is not foolish at all IMO to see a German small batch import on the shelf in a dark bottle and KNOW that it will be outstanding.

Just sayin :)

A. What zoony said.

B. The PacNW has a wealth of excellent mirco-breweries, and while I'm not a fan of IPAs in general, there are a few good ones.

C. Being in any demographic Westy despises is almost always a good sign for that person. :pfft:

Mwah! My beer is better than your beer!

Drink what you like.

Personally, I have found some IPAs that are pretty good but I really don't go out of my way to proselytize them. It's a decent style with more than its share of landmines. I tend to gravitate Tripel-ward when I want a strongly flavored, strongly alcoholic beer and sometimes a brief change of pace IPA-ward is nice.

Gotta admit tough: these neo-hipster fascinations over totally mundane things can be annoying. I'm not sure what to make of this apparent IPA fad. But my local beer suppliers in the Philly area aren't overloading on IPAs at the expense of other styles, so I'm content to let the neo-hipster hordes limit their own life experiences to their hearts' content. Surely it has been a soul-affirming journey from PBR to Shergill.

With beer as with anything else, one's world can be made just about as narrow as one wishes it to be. :pfft:

Do you have those beer/alcohol/wine outlet stores out in the east coast? Out here we have BevMo (Beverages & More) and Total Wine etc....both are basically like the size of a grocery story, that sell beer/alcohol/wine/bar accessories etc etc....

That is where I get most of my stuff, and where I currently find Merry Mischief at.....during the fall, I had their pumpkin ale, which was Fat Jack Double Pumpkin, it was good too.

Folks would save themselves money and grief by asking some of the clerks at these stores for recommendations. I know it isn't a given that every single employee will know what they are talking about, but don't be afraid to tell them what you like and are looking for something similar......they will likely send you down the right path, and you will avoid trying to pick beers based on the labels/names alone.

Also beeradvocate.com is a nice place that ranks the beers. I am usually on that site on my iphone if I am in the mood to try something new.

Does the P stand for pretentious?

In any case, some kind German fella in my trip to Munich recommended Franciskaner as quintessential Bavarian Brew. My buddy, a USAF pilot, brings back a case of stuff called Kristal Weiss—seriously epic beer. As much as taste, I measure beer by the quality of the buzz it gives—German Beer Purity laws=nice, clean happy buzz.

In contrast, good single malt Scotch makes me an angry drunk.

Germany has a purity law dating from the 1400s. They have been brewing lagers for centuries. The Belgians have been brewing ales and lagers in the same breweries since the 1500s with the same cultural dedication that the French give to wine.

I say this as someone who loves German culture, so I'm not trying to trash their beer at all.

The Reinheitsgebot is often misunderstood and overrated by people outside of Germany. The original law was not a universal decree in Germany it was a law in one province that eventually influenced laws in other areas. In its original form it's no longer in effect, it's been replaced by a law that allows a number of ingredients that were not permitted at first. (Plus yeast, which doesn't really count because people had no clue what yeast was until much later.)

While it was in some ways a source of national pride, it was also met with resistance in a number of places. Northern German and Belgian brewers that have a long tradition of brewing with fruit and/or spices did not like the decree because it essentially outlawed their style of brewing. So too with wheat beers, another German staple, until the law was revised into its modern form. The idea that all of Germany proudly accepted this law or that it is the reason behind the quality of modern German brewing just isn't really true.

Also, the purity decree doesn't guarantee the beer is good. It just says which ingredients you can and can't use. There absolutely is bad (or at least mediocre) beer in Germany.

Just sayin'.

I say this as someone who loves German culture, so I'm not trying to trash their beer at all.

The Reinheitsgebot is often misunderstood and overrated by people outside of Germany. The original law was not a universal decree in Germany it was a law in one province that eventually influenced laws in other areas. In its original form it's no longer in effect, it's been replaced by a law that allows a number of ingredients that were not permitted at first. (Plus yeast, which doesn't really count because people had no clue what yeast was until much later.)

While it was in some ways a source of national pride, it was also met with resistance in a number of places. Northern German and Belgian brewers that have a long tradition of brewing with fruit and/or spices did not like the decree because it essentially outlawed their style of brewing. So too with wheat beers, another German staple, until the law was revised into its modern form. The idea that all of Germany proudly accepted this law or that it is the reason behind the quality of modern German brewing just isn't really true.

Also, the purity decree doesn't guarantee the beer is good. It just says which ingredients you can and can't use. There absolutely is bad (or at least mediocre) beer in Germany.

Just sayin'.

You ask ANY German, ANY, about how their beer stacks up against Belgian beer they will mention they had the first purity law. Without fail. If you know a German call them right now and ask them that question, you are guaranteed to get that response.

I understand about Krieks and Lambics, I did a semester at the university of Antwerp and had plenty of firsthand experience. :chug:

no misunderstanding here about the purity law and its implications. I brought it up simply as an example of the history of beer in Europe and the reliability of German brewers, just as I did their history with lager that their climate afforded well before modern refrigeration made it possible in warmer climates

So there. Just sayin :)

You ask ANY German, ANY, about how their beer stacks up against Belgian beer they will mention they had the first purity law.

Don't make anything about nationalism (especially in Europe) and expect to get a truly rational response. ;)

But I understand what you're saying.

Not a fan of the IPAs. I've had some good ones but by and large trying to weed out the good ones vs. the bad ones is a daunting task. I can't even remember the ones I've tried and liked. Too bitter, tastes like drinking a tin can.

I'm not sure if it's considered an IPA but I do enjoy Troegs Nugget Nectar....really hoppy, but doesn't finish that way. Comes out in the spring.

Let's face it. IPA's are the lifted truck of the beer world. Everybody who knows nothing about beer wants one, there are millions of them everywhere, and they are all terrible. Well, most of them. Some have enough malt in them to balance them out and make them quite palatable. But they are rare. Very rare.

It seems like all anybody cares or talks about anymore are IPA's. It's like you're "cool" and part of the "club" when you talk about hops making beer bitter. You go to the beer store, and it's all IPA's everywhere. To top it off, they aren't even good IPA's. They're all completely ****ing unbalanced, disgusting, bitter garbage, with trendy names like "Octopus Cat" and "Horse***ed Zombie" and everybody loves them. In fact most of them taste like somebody shot a cannon full of hops into Sasquatch's ***hole and then he **** them back out onto your face.

For the love of Christ, stop drinking this **** and creating a market for this festering **** juice. It is a typical hipster fad. I was at a bar and three jack-****s were talking about ****lickers IPA or whatever they were drinking. JF#1 is saying how it's good, but not as hoppy as ****slobber. They were making faces like they were drinking camel piss with each drink. I think it was called blueberry oatmeal horse**** beer. I heard the word "hoppy" at least a dozen times.

A close second to the annoyance of idiots talking about IPAs while holding their nose to drink them is your friend/relative who brews ****ty terrible beer and forces you to try it whenever you are in their presence. Hey awesome, you can buy a case of beer made by real brewers with real equipment, you can stop filling your bathtub with swill using your 100 dollar starter brewing kit. Grow up.

Are you being physically injured by those who like IPAs?

Don't make anything about nationalism (especially in Europe) and expect to get a truly rational response. ;)

Germany is the Texas of Europe. Seriously. German opinions on themselves are as about impartial as a Texan's. Germans are good at engineering a certain style of beer.

There is a degree of snobbishness from a certain type and age of white male middle-class beer drinker who wants to be an expert and leans toward the different taste of IPAs. But that doesn't mean that all IPAs suck.

Are you being physically injured by those who like IPAs?

The problem is going to a party/bar/restaraunt where most they have is IPA.

I agree about the IPAs Sierra Nevada is tolerable but nothing special. I'd even rather have a Budweiser or Coors than it though. Lagunitas is far too bitter to my taste.

Just sayin'.

Well it's better than the adulterants you get in America: rice (miller lite) and corn flakes (straub's special dark, regional beer).

Archived