Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook hates: Beer Snobs and Hipsters with their stupid goddamn IPAs

Westbrook36

Dogfish Head (Delaware) is a good brewery, I think they get flak for how popular they are. Their Alehouses are REALLY catching on. Heavy Seas brewery (which is closer, located in Baltimore, MD), is a quality brewery, but it isn't nearly as well-known in these parts. The Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA is definitely an A-grade beer in my opinion.

Yeah, I love me some Loose Cannon. It's my go-to beer if I can't decide on something new to try.

I'm surprised an IPA supporter would describe anything else as piss water. As a snobby Guinness and other stout drinker, all your beers are piss water to me. A good beer doubles as a meal, that's what I say :ols:

I always heard it said, there's a sammich in every beer. :ols: I put that to the test at various points in my career and here I am never having starved.

That's not to say there aren't some sammiches that are a little thicker than others. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.joesixpack.net/currentColumn.htm

While noting that some experts reject the phenomenon, Hieronymus writes that hop addicts may undergo what is known in human olfactory psychophysics (the study of odor) as "adaption." The more the brain becomes accustomed to hoppy aromas, the more it "expects a more-bitter drinking sensation."
- more at link

Ahhh, I get it now. Smell junkies. ;)

:ols:

Love a good IPA, it's basically all I drink.

Stone, Sierra Nevada, Loose Cannon, and Dogfish Head among my favs. And no, I have never had an IPA that's "too bitter."

So I guess what I'm saying is "eat it, ya pansy with the bud light piss you probably drink." :)

Edit- I fully acknowledge that there are a lot of sub-par IPAs out there, but then again there is a lot of sub-par beer in general

yep.

hops are an awesome thing. kind of a curse, really. once a hop-loving beer drinker gets a taste of a good, hoppy beer, everything else tastes like a light beer.

yum.

• 2 weeks later...
Well the day that Dogfish makes a good stout, heavy beer or doesn't make something that tastes like a tin can, I'll be happy to drink it.

Just tried the Miles Davis ****es Brew the other day. Yum. Reminded me of Stone Russian Imperial Stout. $15 a bottle, but you would like it.

yep.

hops are an awesome thing. kind of a curse, really. once a hop-loving beer drinker gets a taste of a good, hoppy beer, everything else tastes like a light beer.

yum.

You guys are insane. Beer should have balance. It is an art.

However, if you are an American upstart and have no idea what you're doing, just dump a ****load of hops in it to mask your inability, label it an IPA, and design a hipster label. The unrefined and uneducated American pallet will think its really something :silly:

However, if you are an American upstart and have no idea what you're doing, just dump a ****load of hops in it to mask your inability, label it an IPA, and design a hipster label. The unrefined and uneducated American pallet will think its really something :silly:

You probably also need some odd or ironic catch phrase or name like "Tree Stump" or "Burning Cold"

You probably also need some odd or ironic catch phrase or name like "Tree Stump" or "Burning Cold"

Nice.

And an innocuous picture on the label that summons a folksy feel, as if there is a guy brewing this stuff in a small room who doesn't know how to properly market his beer... He only knows how to make great beer by God!!!

I will call it... Steel Rail... And it will have an old locomotive on the label...

(Hey, almost as dumb as calling it fat tire. Almost)

Nice.

And an innocuous picture on the label that summons a folksy feel, as if there is a guy brewing this stuff in a small room who doesn't know how to properly market his beer... He only knows how to make great beer by God!!!

I will call it... Steel Rail... And it will have an old locomotive on the label...

(Hey, almost as dumb as calling it fat tire. Almost)

I like it...excited to see the beer caps with a rail road crossing sign on them.

IPAs taste horrible, like licking a pine tree or something. Hops are a good thing, but the line is easily crossed for me. Sam Adams Latitude 48 made my eyes cross it was so bitter.

I love stouts, especially with hints of chocolate or oatmeal. Samuel Smiths is just fantastic for that, Rogue is good too.

While I do really enjoy some hoppy beers, you make a very valid point.

The best way to tell if a brewer is on their game, IMHO, is how good their lighter offerings are. It's a challenge for a brewer to produce a flavorful, lighter beer. There's no room for error to to hide your mistakes. Chances are, if they brew a really good lager, pale ale, or light beer, then their more powerful beers should be pretty good too.

i cant remember having a beer that was 'too hoppy'. although, the flying dog raging ***** is too 'something', i just dont know what it is.

Sam Adams Latitude 48 made my eyes cross it was so bitter.

definitely not hoppy or bitter enough. that tastes like a light IPA to me.

Archived