Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook hates: Beer Snobs and Hipsters with their stupid goddamn IPAs

Westbrook36

I was very impressed by the German Pils' when I went over there. After being informed (in the beer thread) that we make better beer than Germans (probably by resident hipsters ;)) I have been on a mission to find a good domestic Pils. Fail - They all taste like IPA, at least the ones I've found so far. Huge amounts of hops are fine in beer, like IPA, that warrants it but the insistence on putting gobs of it in everything they brew here sucks. A good pils is slightly bitter but fresh tasting and clean with the hops blending into the background in a subtle way. It's not supposed to smell or taste yeasty or sour. Granted we don't have the best selection here but I've tried a half dozen so far and not a decent one in the bunch.

I think many brewers have determined that Americans won't believe it's a microbrew and spend the corresponding price, if it doesn't taste like a wet sock.

I was very impressed by the German Pils' when I went over there. After being informed (in the beer thread) that we make better beer than Germans (probably by resident hipsters ;)) I have been on a mission to find a good domestic Pils. Fail - They all taste like IPA, at least the ones I've found so far. Huge amounts of hops are fine in beer, like IPA, that warrants it but the insistence on putting gobs of it in everything they brew here sucks. A good pils is slightly bitter but fresh tasting and clean with the hops blending into the background in a subtle way. It's not supposed to smell or taste yeasty or sour. Granted we don't have the best selection here but I've tried a half dozen so far and not a decent one in the bunch.

I think many brewers have determined that Americans won't believe it's a microbrew and spend the corresponding price, if it doesn't taste like a wet sock.

This is 100% true. Couldn't be more spot on.

And I just love talking to beer dorks who think the more bitter a beer is, the higher the quality. Idiots.

Call me a hipster if that means I can enjoy by DIPAs. I love all sorts of beers and Im pretty seasonal with my tastes but there is not much better than a Heady Topper or a Stone Ruination on a nice Spring day (hell really any season).

I too have an IPA (my house beer) and a bourbon barrell porter fermenting away as we speak...

Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad IPA's out there, but don't write off all IPA's. I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has a tremendous number of world class IPA's and they stand head and shoulders above whatever I could find at my local grocery store.

The Alchemist's Heady Topper, Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine, Maine Beer Company's Lunch, and nearly everything from HIll Farmstead (the place is unbelievable). They all make beers that are hoppy, crisp, fragrant, with a clean finish. None of this overwhelmingly bitter, back of the tongue stickiness that you get in most commercial IPA's.

I can't tell you how many friends have come to visit over the years and told me they don't like IPAs. They then try one of the aforementioned beers and turn to me and say it's the best overall beer they've ever tasted.

Wait, are you saying you can't stand a single one of Dogfish Head's beers?

I haven't tried them all...but I think I've tried about 5 or 6 of them. And that's enough for me to stop trying their beers.

I have friends that absolutely LOVE going there. I'll go to hang out, but I'll have a Miller Lite or a Corona, served fresh with a condescending look from the bartender.

I had a Dragon's Milk with my burger tonite :)

I'll go to hang out, but I'll have a Miller Lite or a Corona, served fresh with a condescending look from the bartender.

wow. I'm mad they even sell that crap there.

I went there for my 30th birthday and had a blast drinking lots of Raison D'Etre. Yum.

The only thing Miller Lite, Coors Lite, or any of that crap is good for is drinking games.

Well helloooooo beer snob. ;)

I know I am :) But not a hipster IPA snob. But I am certainly a snob to people who drink miller, bud, or coors as their beer of choice when we go out for a night. I mean, can't you drink a Fat Tire at least? A Sam? Why waste your money on piss water?

I know I am :) But not a hipster IPA snob. But I am certainly a snob to people who drink miller, bud, or coors as their beer of choice when we go out for a night. I mean, can't you drink a Fat Tire at least? A Sam? Why waste your money on piss water?

Haha, I see where you're coming from but...I dunno, to each their own.

I just haven't liked anything from Dogfish that I've tried.

I'm surprised an IPA supporter would describe anything else as piss water. As a snobby Guinness and other stout drinker, all your beers are piss water to me. A good beer doubles as a meal, that's what I say :ols:

As I said twice above, I don't really drink IPAs. Or Pale Ales. I like Brown ales, ambers, holiday ales. Had a great time with Stone Russian Imperial Stout recently, but have to be in the mood for a stout. I don't like to eat while I drink.

---------- Post added December-10th-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

Amen to this. :pint::thumbsup:

says the guy who ordered a miller lite at dogfishhead lololol

As I said twice above, I don't really drink IPAs. Or Pale Ales. I like Brown ales, ambers, holiday ales. Had a great time with Stone Russian Imperial Stout recently, but have to be in the mood for a stout. I don't like to eat while I drink.

---------- Post added December-10th-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

says the guy who ordered a miller lite at dogfishhead lololol

Well the day that Dogfish makes a good stout, heavy beer or doesn't make something that tastes like a tin can, I'll be happy to drink it.

Well the day that Dogfish makes a good stout, heavy beer or doesn't make something that tastes like a tin can, I'll be happy to drink it.

They have a lot more on their menu than the 5 beers you've tried. I'm sure you can find something. I don't like everything there- I love brown ales but I don't like their Indian Brown Ale. Raison D'Etre is better. I hated their peach beer this summer. They have a Chicory stout. Haven't tried it.

I like malty beers that are heavy, but I like my beers really cold, so Guiness doesn't really do it for me. Right now I have some Lagunitas Brown Shugga in our wine cooler that I am excited to try this weekend.

Have you had the Palo Santo Marron or World Wide Stout?

I don't mind the average IPA. Say, the Samuel Adams Latitude 48. That's pretty much THE medicore IPA, IMO. There are some that are definitely worse, and some that are definitely better. To me, this is an argument of opinions, I simply enjoy hops. Too bad if you don't. Excuse me while I fart in your general direction.

IPAs are not a top 5 style of beer for me, but their big brother, the Double IPA, is. There is a great range to work with when adding so many ingredients. Not all of them turn out incredible, however...

Some of them...

tumblr_m8tnzpPnp61qgnwo3o1_500.gif

A great example of what Spaceman Spiff is talking about is the DFH 90 Minute IPA, which I think is very chemical-flavored, and overall tastes like copper. Not that I ever drink chemicals or liquid-copper, but the DFH 90 (and it's little brother the DFH 60), are overrated. I think the DFH 120 is the best-tasting of the 3, but I'm a sucker for that big barleywine flavor.

Dogfish Head (Delaware) is a good brewery, I think they get flak for how popular they are. Their Alehouses are REALLY catching on. Heavy Seas brewery (which is closer, located in Baltimore, MD), is a quality brewery, but it isn't nearly as well-known in these parts. The Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA is definitely an A-grade beer in my opinion.

Archived