Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook hates: Beer Snobs and Hipsters with their stupid goddamn IPAs

Westbrook36

Btw, of any of you want to try a hoppy beer, try a Duvel. Makes an IPA taste like a pilsner

Flemish for Devil.

Not sure if we are referring to the same Duvel, but the belgan strong ale duvel is a classic example of the style. Off the top of my head I'd say it has ~30 IBUs which is really nothing in terms of hops. It is a malt bomb that comes in at over 8% ABV (again id have to look that up but it would be around there, IMO). So unless you had some other variety from Duvel, that was extra hopped, I would never call it a hoppy beer and it certainly would never make most IPAs taste like a pilsner

Not sure if we are referring to the same Duvel, but the belgan strong ale duvel is a classic example of the style. Off the top of my head I'd say it has ~30 IBUs which is really nothing in terms of hops. It is a malt bomb that comes in at over 8% ABV (again id have to look that up but it would be around there, IMO). So unless you had some other variety from Duvel, that was extra hopped, I would never call it a hoppy beer and it certainly would never make most IPAs taste like a pilsner

Yea, it's a Belgian beer with a strong malt profile. It has the very distinct Belgian, highly estery, fruitiness that is immediately noticeable. If you were to make a 5 gallon batch of a Duval style beer you'd probably use 1-2 oz of hops. For comparison a highly hopped DIPA might have 10+oz for the same batch size.

Chad Dukes? Is that you? I heard that blubber calling IPA's bro beers.

Sounds like a bunch of whiny ****es who probably don't get laid enough. Come AT ME BRO

If you're not DRINKING FACE PLANT, then **** YOU

6479293449_79259ce7b2_z.jpg

Kidding, I'm not really that douche....but I do feel that with IPAs, if you don't like hops...you're going to have a bad time.

Yea, it's a Belgian beer with a strong malt profile. It has the very distinct Belgian, highly estery, fruitiness that is immediately noticeable. If you were to make a 5 gallon batch of a Duval style beer you'd probably use 1-2 oz of hops. For comparison a highly hopped DIPA might have 10+oz for the same batch size.

I stand corrected, thanks

I stand corrected, thanks

Although, Duval does make a 'tripel hop' version of their standard belgian ale. If you tried that you might be dead on. It's basically their standard ale, brewed with traditional Belgian yeast that has a bunch of hops added for an extra layer hoppy flavor. Kind of like a very banana-y IPA. I've never tired it, but I've heard good things.

I've been seeing TV ads for a brewery out of Portland called Henry Weinhard's. A google search shows that it's been around for a long long time, is currently owned by SABMiller, and is trying to take three of its labels national - Woodland Pass India Pale Ale, Private Reserve, and Redwood Flats Amber Ale.

1352313902-henry_weinhard_s.jpg

http://beerpulse.com/2012/09/henry-weinhards-brand-goes-national/

Any Northwesterners familiar with this brand?

:ols: yep.

Those guys are the true ambassadors of the cannabis/BJJ connection. :pfft:

Seen Rogan drinking Heinekens in a couple youtube vids. Not a bad macro, IMO of course. It's different from the typical grain/rice/corn flavor in pretty much every pale lager the every-day man knows. Budweiser and Miller products, Pabst, Schlitz, that's a real tight range of flavor right there, in the grand scheme of beer. Heineken has a maltier, yeastier complex than the rest of 'em. Some people describe it as tasting like a fart, but my farts, for example, taste perfectly fine. No harm no foul. I like Hienies.

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 03:59 PM ----------

I've been seeing TV ads for a brewery out of Portland called Henry Weinhard's. A google search shows that it's been around for a long long time, is currently owned by SABMiller, and is trying to take three of its labels national - Woodland Pass India Pale Ale, Private Reserve, and Redwood Flats Amber Ale.

My local store just stocked the shelves with all 3 of those beers. Too expensive for the reviews I've read on them.

Seen Rogan drinking Heinekens in a couple youtube vids. Not a bad macro, IMO of course. It's different from the typical grain/rice/corn flavor in pretty much every pale lager the every-day man knows. Budweiser and Miller products, Pabst, Schlitz, that's a real tight range of flavor right there, in the grand scheme of beer. Heineken has a maltier, yeastier complex than the rest of 'em. Some people describe it as tasting like a fart, but my farts, for example, taste perfectly fine. No harm no foul. I like Hienies.

Yep, I've seen him do standup a few times and he's always drinking Heinekens. I don't mind Heineken either, like you said it's not a bad macro. I actually went to the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam about 10 years ago. Hard to believe it's been that long, I'm about to have to renew my damn passport already!

• 3 months later...

Against Hoppy Beer

The craft beer industry’s love affair with hops is alienating people who don’t like bitter brews.

As a beer writer, I often find myself preaching the word about craft beer to people who don’t want to hear it. There are a lot of Bud Light fans and people who’d rather sip a zinfandel, even in the craft beer capital of the world, Portland, Ore., where I live. So when a homebrewer friend recently decided to visit my husband and me from Tennessee, I was excited to spend time with a kindred spirit, someone with whom I could share my favorite brews without having to make a hard sell. The first brewery I took him to was Hopworks Urban Brewery, where I ordered us a pitcher of the Velvet English session beer.

After a few sips, I noticed that he had pushed away his glass. “I’m sorry, guys,” he said when he noticed our puzzled expressions. “This is just way too hoppy for me.”

I was floored. Session beer is light and drinkable—it’s called session beer because you’re supposed to be able to drink several over the course of a drinking session without ruining your palate. If one of my favorite session beers was too hoppy and bitter for an avid beer drinker—for a homebrewer who is currently brewing beer to serve at his own wedding—what would he think of the famed Pacific Northwest IPAs? Do friends let friends drink only pilsners?

That’s when I realized that I had a problem. In fact, everyone I know in the craft beer industry has a problem: We’re so addicted to hops that we don’t even notice them anymore.

Click on the link for the full article

I've been seeing TV ads for a brewery out of Portland called Henry Weinhard's. A google search shows that it's been around for a long long time, is currently owned by SABMiller, and is trying to take three of its labels national - Woodland Pass India Pale Ale, Private Reserve, and Redwood Flats

Picked up some a few weeks ago cuz it was only about 7$ a six pack. If you like hops, you'll be disappointed. Probably the least hoppy ipa I've ever had.

You really think so? I love hoppy beers but I'm just curious why you say this as I've been reading about the brewing process recently

I think he's referring to the article where they say the addition of hops can help mask some imperfections in the brew. I'm sure it does but I don't think that's the reason for the hop explosion in micro brews.

You really think so? I love hoppy beers but I'm just curious why you say this as I've been reading about the brewing process recently

I wouldn't say 'hoppy beers' are a substitute for skill in brewing, as hops are one of a few key ingredients in beer, and a hoppy beer is just a style of beer that some like and others don't.

The article said that some brewers tend to over do the hops while ignoring other parts of the brewing process. Maybe that's what zoony meant?

Of course, I can't imagine anyone preferring a miller lite to a Sierra Nevada pale ale or ipa. Madness, I say!

I wouldn't say 'hoppy beers' are a substitute for skill in brewing, as hops are one of a few key ingredients in beer, and a hoppy beer is just a style of beer that some like and others don't.

The article said that some brewers tend to over do the hops while ignoring other parts of the brewing process. Maybe that's what zoony meant?

Of course, I can't imagine anyone preferring a miller lite to a Sierra Nevada pale ale or ipa. Madness, I say!

A commenter from that article said Pilsner Urquell was too hoppy for them. Madness indeed!

A commenter from that article said Pilsner Urquell was too hoppy for them. Madness indeed!

There are a lot of ways one could describe pilsner urquell, 'hoppy' would not be one of them, ibu rating be damned.

In my opinion, the hoppy IPA trend that is going on in microbrews is annoying. While taste is something which I won't argue is right or wrong, there is a market which exists which would most certainly like a wider selection of craft pilsners, hefeweizens, lagers, and even ales which are not simply a hop explosion. The part about a hop explosion is my opinion. Many people find the word "hops" to be synonymous with "flavor". To them, they want to really taste a hoppy beer because it is the only beer which tastes good to them. I believe this is acquired over a period of time and not a natural reaction. Becoming accustomed to extremely hoppy and bitter beers may raise one's appreciation for subtleties within that style of beer, but may make the flavor and subtleties of a perfectly crafted hefeweizen taste bland and nonexistent. It's sort of like the difference between someone who drinks coffee black and people who drink coffee with cream and sugar. The black coffee drinkers will be talking about the massive differences between the quality/grade of whichever expensive and mystical coffee beans they managed to get their hands on from the depths of Colombian jungles or the heights of their mountains. Likewise, to someone who likes coffee with cream and sugar, the black coffee may just taste like a big cup of bitter dog crap.

Indeed, I am guilty of disliking "watered down" Inbev/SAB crap, mainly because I feel like I'm drinking barely beer-flavored carbonated water. Perhaps if I hadn't been brought into the beer drinking world in Munich, I may have developed a slightly different opinion of these tastes.

I'm not hoping that microbrews stop making super hoppy ales, or that people stop pumping out stouts which would induce vomit. I just wouldn't mind if they took the time to produce a wider range of beer types. I work at a store where we sell almost exclusively a huge range of micro-brews and I'd say the vast majority of them have IPA or some sort of "Crazy Hops madness!" advertizement on them. There are a few which are good hefeweizen/weissbier/pilsner/whatever style lager, etc. and I'm grateful for those, but just as fans of IPA's are ecstatic to have such a large selection which isn't produced by "big beer" and has some actual character, I'd like to have some variety in other beer types. Hell, at this point my favorite American brewer is a macro: Sam Adams, and only because they make such a nice variety of things to compliment the regular Boston Lager.

Archived