Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you guys happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

redskins59

I, for one, am not. Guy just doesn't seem to generate any pass rush. Sure, he may be one of our best players on defense, but as an outside linebacker, his primary job is to rush the passer well. He is really failing at it. I don't care how many times he is being double-teamed. Good pass rushers always find ways to sack the QB. I am beginning to think that Kerrigan looked good as a pass rusher last year only because of Orakpo.

I always felt that Kerrigan is a better player than Orakpo. He sure is, as an all-around player. But he is failing hard as a sack artist, his primary duty. Generating pass rush is where Orakpo is a much better player than Kerrigan. Now, I am not trying to compare the two players. Orakpo was never able to generate double digit sack numbers since his rookie year, but he sure as hell was able to generate good QB pressure. With no pass rush, even bad QB's have been able to throw for more than 300 yards on the secondary (Christian Ponder comes to mind).

You're five months and two days early for April Fool's Day.

He's literally been one of the most efficient OLB's in the league this year.

And this is under a terrible, terrible coach with a terrible, terrible team. I can't think of many players that I would take over Kerrigan as an OLB, but I agree with the 3-4 being a bust. New coordinator, 4-3, and I'm happy.

Both Orakpo and Kerrigan were 4-3 defensive ends who dominated. While Robinson, Riley, and Wilson aren't the ideal linebacking corps, they would have a much easier time if we had a pincer on the quarterback every play.

If you look at the sack production from the front seven in 2011 and compare it to this season the issues are clear and Kerrigan isn't one of them. He's actually ahead of his pace from last season. Bowen has produced less and Jenkins/Jackson aren't even close to the guys they are replacing when it comes to rushing the passer.

2011 Redskins Sacks by the starting front seven:

Kerrigan 7.5

Fletcher 1.5

McIntosh 1.0

Orakpo 9.0

Carriker 5.5

Cofield 3.0

Bowen 6.0

2012 Redskins Sacks by the starting front seven:

Kerrigan 4.5

Fletcher 1.0

Riley 1.0

Jackson 0.5

Jenkins 0

Cofield 1.5

Bowen 0.5

Are we happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

The guy who played 100% of the defensive snaps last year? The guy on our defense that has a relentless motor and plays every single down like its his last? The guy that is our only viable pass rusher right now? The guy that we spent our first round pick on 2 years ago? The guy that already has 12 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 2, I repeat, 2 pick sixes in his 2nd year?

Yeah, I'm ****ing thrilled with him and everything he's done for us. Kerrigan, along with Orakpo, Cofield, and Fletch are the 4 best defenders on the team IMO. You wanna just scrap him because he isn't preforming like J.J. Watt yet? Dear god, this fanbase flips out so ****ing easily.

We have a ROOKIE QB, ROOKIE RB, very young WR's and offensive talent, an O-line that everyone was sure would be our demise, a defense that has been decimated by injuries and suspensions, but we want to throw one of our young stars (who is destined to have a solid, if not, an above-average career at the least) under the bus?

The problems I see our team is currently having are ****ty special teams coach in Danny Smith, being hurt by execution mistakes/stupidity, and a lack of talent in the secondary. Keep in mind that our D-line and front 7 is probably the strongest and deepest part of our team. OP, if you wanna dump off Kerrigan, one of the best players on that line, you are bat**** insane.

PATIENCE! BE PATIENT! We are a young team right now that is set up to succeed down the road. Every other NFC East team is getting older. Give the Redskins time to grow.

*GASP* "BUT I WANT TO WIN NOW!!!" Well, then you shouldn't be a Redskins fan. Ups and downs are part of football. Come back in a season or two and jump on the bandwagon when we are trouncing our competition.

-end rant-

Kerrigan has been a bright spot in a dismal defense this season. I have no problem with him whatsoever. A good team doesn't have to be made of superstars. A good team needs dedicated hard working players like Kerrigan and strong leadership. Kerrigan is the least of my worries. Pick on someone else like Hazbeen.

I, for one, am not. Guy just doesn't seem to generate any pass rush. Sure, he may be one of our best players on defense, but as an outside linebacker, his primary job is to rush the passer well. He is really failing at it. I don't care how many times he is being double-teamed. Good pass rushers always find ways to sack the QB. I am beginning to think that Kerrigan looked good as a pass rusher last year only because of Orakpo.

I always felt that Kerrigan is a better player than Orakpo. He sure is, as an all-around player. But he is failing hard as a sack artist, his primary duty. Generating pass rush is where Orakpo is a much better player than Kerrigan. Now, I am not trying to compare the two players. Orakpo was never able to generate double digit sack numbers since his rookie year, but he sure as hell was able to generate good QB pressure. With no pass rush, even bad QB's have been able to throw for more than 300 yards on the secondary (Christian Ponder comes to mind).

Did you make this thread just cause because there is already a thread on here discussing this same topic.

Kerrigan has been fine in my book (any player who scores a defensive TD in back to back to seasons shoud be). What more were you expecting of him with no help on the other side?

I am more disgusted with the defense as a whole than just one man.

Are we happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

The guy who played 100% of the defensive snaps last year? The guy on our defense that has a relentless motor and plays every single down like its his last? The guy that is our only viable pass rusher right now? The guy that we spent our first round pick on 2 years ago? The guy that already has 12 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 2, I repeat, 2 pick sixes in his 2nd year?

Yeah, I'm ****ing thrilled with him and everything he's done for us. Kerrigan, along with Orakpo, Cofield, and Fletch are the 4 best defenders on the team IMO. You wanna just scrap him because he isn't preforming like J.J. Watt yet? Dear god, this fanbase flips out so ****ing easily.

We have a ROOKIE QB, ROOKIE RB, very young WR's and offensive talent, an O-line that everyone was sure would be our demise, a defense that has been decimated by injuries and suspensions, but we want to throw one of our young stars (who is destined to have a solid, if not, an above-average career at the least) under the bus?

The problems I see our team is currently having are ****ty special teams coach in Danny Smith, being hurt by execution mistakes/stupidity, and a lack of talent in the secondary. Keep in mind that our D-line and front 7 is probably the strongest and deepest part of our team. OP, if you wanna dump off Kerrigan, one of the best players on that line, you are bat**** insane.

PATIENCE! BE PATIENT! We are a young team right now that is set up to succeed down the road. Every other NFC East team is getting older. Give the Redskins time to grow.

*GASP* "BUT I WANT TO WIN NOW!!!" Well, then you shouldn't be a Redskins fan. Ups and downs are part of football. Come back in a season or two and jump on the bandwagon when we are trouncing our competition.

-end rant-

Jesus, man. Follow your own advice.

I don't have many issues with Kerrigan. We definetly aren't blitzing like we used to, but its true Orakpo is a better pass rusher then Kerrigan. They're better together, so if we want to keep the 3-4 we need to keep both of them and let them finish developing together...

Overall the defense is getting owned and to single out one player who is playing at a high level is pretty dumb. The pass rush is ineffective because as someone else already pointed out the skins only rush 3-4 linemen most of the time. As others have also pointed out, the d line doesn't stunt very often which might help the pass rush. When the pass rush is bad you leave the secondary out on an island and expect them to cover WR's for over 3 seconds. We are giving capable NFL QB's over 3 seconds to decide where they want to go with the ball. This is a huge problem in case you didn't know. QB's in the NFL can pick apart a team with this much time. I'm willing to bet if Kerrigan could just rush the passer on every play as a DE, his natural position, he'd get more pressure and sacks. I think Kerrigan is playing better than Orakpo who has yet to sniff an INT (and I mean overall, not this year). It's easy to point the finger when the team is failing miserably.

When a guy is double team every time he rushes, he's going to have a tough time finding the QB. Put him 1v1 on a guy, and he'll win the vast majority of the time. Kerrigan is doing fine, he's being asked to carry the defense on his shoulders, and that's just too much for him. Especially when we often only rush 4 guys against 5 or 6 defenders.

Get Orakpo and Carriker back, and he'll suddenly be producing a sack a game. Heck, if we change our scheme he could still end up with a half sack a game or so. His talent is not being utilized effectively atm, that's the key problem.

Kerrigan is one of only 3 players on this entire team worth a damn right now. When Rak and Garcon recover, that number may expand to 5.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 12:25 PM ----------

Yes given the lack of talent around him to draw blocks. Sorry he's not Deacon Jones.

Deacon Jones was allowed to head slap.....

How'd I know this was coming? Lol

I said in another thread that Kerrigan was unfortunately going to bare all the misguided fan hate that Rak left

OP, you're nuts man. Kerrigan is the only non overrated player on the front 7 currently playing. Cofield is out of position, Bowen doesn't appear on the stat sheet even thigh everyone swears he's a top d lineman and Jenkins might as well be inactive every week. Pass rushing is symbiotic most of the time in that rushers rely on guys in front to eat up blocks.

He is the only LB that knows how to play a bootleg, knocks down like 688 passes a game, and is the ONLY playmaker on defense this team only has.

Yes I am satisfied.

Sorry to bust your post, but why do our fans keep playing the "what if" game? What good does this do? I'm so sick of seeing posts lamenting letting go Landry, Taylor, Rogers and Clark. Clark has been gone for like 6 or 7 years. Taylor is dead and will never come back. Landry is not doing that great and Carlos is back to his usual stone hands (dropped 2 against the Giants).

Why is our fanbase constantly living in the past? I get sick of this as much as I get sick of going back to our "great 80s." We need to move forward and find solutions for this team going forward. We have a young, dynamic QB who we need to surround with good players for now and the future. We don't need to keep going back in time. Damn that just gets to me after a while. Sorry is I come off as a jerk, but this kind of thinking has got to stop.

I think I'm going to blow a gasket if I see their names mentioned again.

THIS!!

To answer the question, YES i'm happy with Kerrigan. It isn't his fault his D coach doesn't scheme up pressure, if you watch the games Haz usually rushes 3 or 4 guys and you're not gonna get pressure like that going up against 5-6 blockers!!

Archived