Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you guys happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

redskins59

I am sorry, but getting double-teamed is not an excuse. And frankly, he is not beating his mean that often even when he isn't double teamed. He is stuck at 4.5 sacks, which is not a good number.

If I could be bothered, I'd post the 'Not sure if serious' Heath Ledger, Joker memes.

Nobody else is generating a pass rush at the moment which is making it pretty ease for the OL to control Kerrigan, and the QBs job even easier to avoid him. If you can't understand that normally, he's all over the QB, and appreciate how intelligent a player he is in both coverage and rushing, I'm afraid football isn't for you.

Kerrigan is a good player. He's not a great player. If he stays healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a couple of pro bowls in his career. I'd be surprised if he makes the HOF.

He just doesn't have the burst/hand skill to be an elite pass rusher in this league.

He can be valuable contributor.

If he's one of your best defensive players, your not likely to be a great team. Great teams need great players (future HOF players).

Would I be happier if he was showing future HOF traits? yes

Based on what was said about him when he was drafted and where he was drafted, am I unhappy?

No.

Kerrigan is a very, very solid 3-4 outside linebacker. Is he a Demarcus Ware or Von Miller type linebacker? No, but he was never billed as one; he was touted as a Mike Vrabel type coming out of college and his performance and production are very much in line with that prediction. He's on pace for 9 sacks and that's another solid year, particularly when you consider the talent that surrounds him.

If you are disappointed, it's because you have unrealistic expectations.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

He is stuck at 4.5 sacks, which is not a good number.

He's on pace for a 9 sack season. That's fine by me given where he was drafted, that he's in his second year and he's rather good against the run.

Sorry to bust your post, but why do our fans keep playing the "what if" game? What good does this do? I'm so sick of seeing posts lamenting letting go Landry, Taylor, Rogers and Clark. Clark has been gone for like 6 or 7 years. Taylor is dead and will never come back. Landry is not doing that great and Carlos is back to his usual stone hands (dropped 2 against the Giants).

Why is our fanbase constantly living in the past? I get sick of this as much as I get sick of going back to our "great 80s." We need to move forward and find solutions for this team going forward. We have a young, dynamic QB who we need to surround with good players for now and the future. We don't need to keep going back in time. Damn that just gets to me after a while. Sorry is I come off as a jerk, but this kind of thinking has got to stop.

I think I'm going to blow a gasket if I see their names mentioned again.

we have a loser fanbase. This team has stunk for 20 years, and so its easier to lament on what if and harp about the past. Its all we have as a fan base :(

Kerrigan is a good complimentary player nothing more. Waste of a top 1st round pick. Would have been a good pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I don't agree that Kerrigan was a waste of a 1st round pick at #16, but I guess we could have kept the #10 pick and drafted Watt (who went 11). I don't recall what picks we got in our trade with Jacksonville, but I'm guessing not making that move only would have cost us someone like Hankerson or Paul. Maybe we got our 2nd round pick and it would have cost us Jenkins? Interesting "what if" but it's easy to piece together with hindsight.

I don't agree that Kerrigan was a waste of a 1st round pick at #16, but I guess we could have kept the #10 pick and drafted Watt (who went 11). I don't recall what picks we got in our trade with Jacksonville, but I'm guessing not making that move only would have cost us someone like Hankerson or Paul. Maybe we got our 2nd round pick and it would have cost us Jenkins? Interesting "what if" but it's easy to piece together with hindsight.

The trade down got us Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, and Helu IIRC.

I fear that I might have opened a can of worms by even stepping through that scenario here...but Watt jumped out at me when I re-visited the draft online just now.

I like Kerrigan and think he's a future (and probably current) leader of this defense. I hope that Jenkins and Hankerson pan out as solid starters and that maybe Helu can come back next year and be our third-down back. If so, I think you have to love that trade! If the other guys fall by the wayside and don't cut it, we might look back and wish we stood pat and grabbed Watt.

This guy got shut down by someone who WE cut, Sean Locklear

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 02:59 PM ----------

No it didn't it gave us Jenkins and Kerrigan ?

If I could be bothered, I'd post the 'Not sure if serious' Heath Ledger, Joker memes.

Nobody else is generating a pass rush at the moment which is making it pretty ease for the OL to control Kerrigan, and the QBs job even easier to avoid him. If you can't understand that normally, he's all over the QB, and appreciate how intelligent a player he is in both coverage and rushing, I'm afraid football isn't for you.

Getting double teamed is a legitimate excuse when he is gaining the majority of the attention on the line. Getting held is not an excuse for Kerrigan or Rak.

i agree some people hype him up a bit too much on here, but I like kerrigan. hes a solid player. but i remember that year everyone projected us to take either a QB or JJ Watt at 10. I would trade Kerrigan/Jenkins/Hankerson/Helu all back for Watt right now.

Even though I introduced the same hypothetical, that exact mindset (trading in 4 contributors for 1 star) is why our team has been so top-heavy and unsuccessful over the past 20 years. We always had stars (Samuels, Arrington, Bailey, Portis, Stubblefield, etc.) but have rarely had a full roster of depth and contributing role-players. For all we know, Shanahan was knowingly passing up Watt to get a solid Kerrigan and 3 other guys who could fill out an NFL roster.

Are we happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

The guy who played 100% of the defensive snaps last year? The guy on our defense that has a relentless motor and plays every single down like its his last? The guy that is our only viable pass rusher right now? The guy that we spent our first round pick on 2 years ago? The guy that already has 12 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 2, I repeat, 2 pick sixes in his 2nd year?

Yeah, I'm ****ing thrilled with him and everything he's done for us. Kerrigan, along with Orakpo, Cofield, and Fletch are the 4 best defenders on the team IMO. You wanna just scrap him because he isn't preforming like J.J. Watt yet? Dear god, this fanbase flips out so ****ing easily.

We have a ROOKIE QB, ROOKIE RB, very young WR's and offensive talent, an O-line that everyone was sure would be our demise, a defense that has been decimated by injuries and suspensions, but we want to throw one of our young stars (who is destined to have a solid, if not, an above-average career at the least) under the bus?

The problems I see our team is currently having are ****ty special teams coach in Danny Smith, being hurt by execution mistakes/stupidity, and a lack of talent in the secondary. Keep in mind that our D-line and front 7 is probably the strongest and deepest part of our team. OP, if you wanna dump off Kerrigan, one of the best players on that line, you are bat**** insane.

PATIENCE! BE PATIENT! We are a young team right now that is set up to succeed down the road. Every other NFC East team is getting older. Give the Redskins time to grow.

*GASP* "BUT I WANT TO WIN NOW!!!" Well, then you shouldn't be a Redskins fan. Ups and downs are part of football. Come back in a season or two and jump on the bandwagon when we are trouncing our competition.

-end rant-

Preach brotha, preach!

So Kerrigan and a DE that's in witness protection, a starting WR that shouldn't be starting, and a 3rd string running back.

I'm half kidding, cuz I actually like Helu and am hopeful the other two can pan out.

In hindsight, JJ Watt would have been better. But happy with Kerrigan. Good player, good pick.

This intrigues me because I play close attention to the Texans....

I am not saying JJ Watt isn't a beast, because he is. However, he has an excellent coordinator and he has talented players all around him. Even without Cushing, that Texans defense is still a beast. Watt would have been pretty good here too, and the same could be said for Kerrigan in Houston. I'm not going to agree or disagree with you because I don't know, but I think both players would be able to perform at a high level on either team.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 03:52 PM ----------

a 3rd string running back.

If we had Helu this year, our third down percentage would be a heck of a lot better than it is now.

This intrigues me because I play close attention to the Texans....

I am not saying JJ Watt isn't a beast, because he is. However, he has an excellent coordinator and he has talented players all around him. Even without Cushing, that Texans defense is still a beast. Watt would have been pretty good here too, and the same could be said for Kerrigan in Houston. I'm not going to agree or disagree with you because I don't know, but I think both players would be able to perform at a high level on either team.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 03:52 PM ----------

If we had Helu this year, our third down percentage would be a heck of a lot better than it is now.

definitely...Royster ha been AWFUL. WTF happened to him?

I don't know. We used to do so much more, together. Now it's all kind of routine and we spend more time apart. It's even got to where we just as soon take separate vacations already. Seems like this kind of stuff is happening awful soon in the relationship. Maybe it's just a stage. His boss is under a lot of pressure and that stuff rolls downhill.

Archived