Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you guys happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

redskins59

I'm mostly considering the fact we traded away a pick that could have netted us Watt for Kerrigan and Jarvis Jenkins.

Watt has been double teamed, and sometimes triple teamed, and he's still playing exceptional football. We could use a guy like him, and Kerrigan/Jenkins aren't proving to be a comparable impact to our defense as a JJ Watt would.

As dominant as he's been, still gotta remember we have Jim Haslett as a D coordinator, not Wade Phillips.

I'm mostly considering the fact we traded away a pick that could have netted us Watt for Kerrigan and Jarvis Jenkins.

Watt has been double teamed, and sometimes triple teamed, and he's still playing exceptional football. We could use a guy like him, and Kerrigan/Jenkins aren't proving to be a comparable impact to our defense as a JJ Watt would.

I hear what you're saying. To me, it seems every time Kerrigan blows up the blocker, the QB just side steps him because there is no pressure anywhere else. The same, logically, could occur with Watt. I agree that Jenkins, unfortunately, isn't cutting it right now. I know he's had a knee injury, but cmon big boy - you need to make a play. Jenkins for the love of all that is holy - sack the QB, stare at the camera and say "thats for you Goonie!!"

Jarvis Jenkins is coming off a season ending injury. I'm willing to bet this season is his "learn to trust my body again" season. If you look at his performance last pre-season before the injury, he was blowing guys off the line, physically overpowering them. Part of that is being able to plant on both legs and drive, and there is a certain explosion needed to make it happen. I seriously doubt what he showed was just a fluke, however it is reasonable to believe his injury was one where the nature of it means it will take him a season to get into form.

As far as Kerrigan goes. The guy makes plays. He flies to the ball. The reality is he isn't going to put up a ton of sacks with the current D-line, because he is pretty much the focal point of every O-line going into the game. Kerrigan can't rush the passer on his own. The guy is still making plays though, such as the INT/TD against Matt Ryan, and blowing up screen plays. He seems to be another Fletcher in the making, where he has the mind and brain for the game that helps put himself into position to makes plays.

Why can't anyone be content with what we have? People hate on Orakpo for being good, but not good enough, now Kerrigan. It happens to every player here at some point, it is just getting a bit obnoxious. Truly nobody is safe from our fans.

Jarvis Jenkins is coming off a season ending injury. I'm willing to bet this season is his "learn to trust my body again" season. If you look at his performance last pre-season before the injury, he was blowing guys off the line, physically overpowering them. Part of that is being able to plant on both legs and drive, and there is a certain explosion needed to make it happen. I seriously doubt what he showed was just a fluke, however it is reasonable to believe his injury was one where the nature of it means it will take him a season to get into form.

As far as Kerrigan goes. The guy makes plays. He flies to the ball. The reality is he isn't going to put up a ton of sacks with the current D-line, because he is pretty much the focal point of every O-line going into the game. Kerrigan can't rush the passer on his own. The guy is still making plays though, such as the INT/TD against Matt Ryan, and blowing up screen plays. He seems to be another Fletcher in the making, where he has the mind and brain for the game that helps put himself into position to makes plays.

I'm glad that someone reminded a lot of posters that Jenkins isn't going to be 100% this year. That seems to be missing on people.

Comparing Kerrigan to J.J. Watt is ridiculous. Yes, Watt is better at this point, but who cares?

"Oh man, we have Matt Ryan. This sucks ****. We don't have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Cut Ryan."

That's how silly some of you sound.

I, for one, am not. Guy just doesn't seem to generate any pass rush. Sure, he may be one of our best players on defense, but as an outside linebacker, his primary job is to rush the passer well. He is really failing at it. I don't care how many times he is being double-teamed. Good pass rushers always find ways to sack the QB. I am beginning to think that Kerrigan looked good as a pass rusher last year only because of Orakpo.

I always felt that Kerrigan is a better player than Orakpo. He sure is, as an all-around player. But he is failing hard as a sack artist, his primary duty. Generating pass rush is where Orakpo is a much better player than Kerrigan. Now, I am not trying to compare the two players. Orakpo was never able to generate double digit sack numbers since his rookie year, but he sure as hell was able to generate good QB pressure. With no pass rush, even bad QB's have been able to throw for more than 300 yards on the secondary (Christian Ponder comes to mind).

Kerrigan is a good football player. We have just lost a LOT of key players this season. Look forward to next season and free agency. This team is going to be very good for a very long time.

Kerrigan brings a level of professionalism to this game that leads me to believe he's going to continue to get better. And I believe that Kerrigan 2012 performance would definitely benefit from a better supporting cast, including the coaching. (IMO, Slowik is not a very good LB'ers coach, and of course some believe Haslett hasn't done well either.)

Being a good defensive player is not all about sacks. I've noted that Kerrigan blown up a few plays and disrupted a bunch as well. He's a good tackler and seems to play his role well. He's not a hot-head either.

Lastly, those away games in NY and Pittsburgh have kept the total number of sacks down -- please consider the amount of holding that Giant and Steeler O-lines get away with -- it's have been traditionally high, and 2012 was no different

relax, people are giving you their opinions on a message board. when a defense performs so horribly, no player is above criticism and that includes Kerrigan. I myself believe he isn't athletic enough to play OLB I'm 3-4 scheme. many will disagree with me- you included

I don't know why you think he's not athletic enough. You've seen his two pick sixes, I assume? That's athleticism.

Here's the difference between the sides that Kerrigan and Rak play on. Rak plays on the defensive right. He's going against the offenses best pass protector the majority of the time. And often, he faces help in the form of a chip.

The right offensive tackle is generally the power tackle. Not great at pass blocking but usually very stout in run blocking. Kerrigan plays to that side. Kerrigan isn't as explosive as a guy like Orakpo. Not many are. Rak's explosive number, a number NFL GMs look at in the draft process, is through the roof. The explosion number is bench press reps + vertical leap + broad jump. That measures athleticism, not necessarily football prowess. Rak has an explosion number of 81.3 which is absolutely ridiculous. Kerrigan had a 74.6. Our OLBs are measuring out very similar to one another in explosive, but Rak is a bit more explosive.

Both of our outside linebackers are extremely talented, but when you only have one guy to worry about, it makes doing their job a lot harder. The quarterback, especially a right hander, can see Kerrigan coming. He's in his vision cone. So he doesn't have to wonder when he's going to get hit. With Rak coming off the back side, quarterbacks get nervous and have to step up in the pocket.

That comes down to the interior pass rush now. If our DEs and NT are getting any kind of penetration that leaves one escape lane. And if the QB is concentrated on avoiding all of that, he's not looking at Kerrigan.

With Rak/Carriker out, he can almost pay 100% attention to Kerrigan. Which makes things VERY difficult on a pass rusher.

As dominant as he's been, still gotta remember we have Jim Haslett as a D coordinator, not Wade Phillips.

This. Kerrigan and Orakpo's best years are being wasted under hasbeen, (similar to how CP and Moss's best years were wasted with JC) and he is not using them effectively I believe.

The guy has NO sense of creativity and probably has not had an original thought in his head during his lifetime. That ****bag hasbeen is not using Kerrigan to his potential.

No, he lines up on the same side and rushes straight up the field every time. Hasbeen doesn't overload Kerrigan's side to allow his athleticism take advantage of the o linemen, instead he gets engulfed 1v1 or 2v1 by tackles and te's.

With Rak out Kerrigan should be all over the place and the idiot hasbeen SHOULD be trying to scheme to get him lined up in mismatches...

Instead he gets out schemed and the mismatches get lined up ON Kerrigan (against him)

**** hasbeen.

Everyone STILL defending him must be blind... Hell even I defended him after the 0 blitz debacle last year vs dallass.. but enough is enough.

The guy has a less than mediocre record every place he's been, but somehow here it's all the players fault. Right.

I bet with a competent DC in here this defense with the same personnel ends up in the high teens instead of dead last.

Ryan Kerrigan said Wednesday that he’s been playing coverage a little more lately, but that wasn’t the case vs. the Steelers. He dropped into coverage only three or four times (he stayed in contain once, waiting for the tight end to release), making plays twice – batting a pass and then making a good tackle for a three-yard gain. Kerrigan still needs to apply more pressure, but he had a better game in that regard than in recent weeks. However, his success often comes against tight ends as was the case Sunday. Unofficially, he was in one-on-one situations 14 times and only generated real pressure perhaps two or three times. Once came when he dipped under tight end Heath Miller to the outside, but was then blocked inside by the back. Again, it didn’t help that Pittsburgh threw a lot of quick passes. Kerrigan at least contributed several good plays. He did allow a touchdown in which he failed to keep his eyes on tight end Leonard Pope, aligned in a four-point stance who sold the run block inside. A little hesitation because the eyes are in the wrong spot is all it takes to get beat at the goal line. Kerrigan did rush one time from the right side, trying an unsuccessful spin move against the tackle. Kerrigan is an effort guy and needs help from others to either extend the play or push the QB into a spot where he can get off his block and dart inside. On his sack, it was effort as he did a good job playing contain on his side on a receiver end around. Linebacker Perry Riley applied pressure and that allowed Kerrigan to come up for the tackle (and sack). Not the greatest of sacks but it was still a loss.

Read this over in the breaking news section.

This isn't meant to bash Kerrigan as I'm pleased with him this season but maybe will add to the discussion.

Archived