Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you guys happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

redskins59

I am sorry, but getting double-teamed is not an excuse. And frankly, he is not beating his mean that often even when he isn't double teamed. He is stuck at 4.5 sacks, which is not a good number.

You're right about the double team. Also, I don't wanna hear how he gets held. You're gonna get held, chipped, and double teamed on defense if you're any good, you've gotta beat it. The best ones do.

100% happy with him. He's the only bright spot on the Defense (currently, Orakpo would be another). Yes, he's been quiet since the ATL game but it's easy for opposing offenses when the game plan is clear: 'Double-team/Man-handle #91, sit in the pocket, destroy the secondary."

Am I happy with this thread? No. This defense (and team) has its fair share of problems but Kerrigan isn't one.

What a terrible thread. Complaining about one of our few bright spots on defense this year....some fans just straight up Negative Nancies.

So basically, you really think Kerrigan has been good this year as a pass rusher?

I notice that he got credited for a sack last week, but did he really do anything? I didn't even notice that sack.

There is not one OLB in a 3-4 defense that is truly good in coverage. Not one. Kerrigan is respectable in coverage and that is all you can ask for an OLB.

As for pass rush, he's not a pure rusher and nobody really thought he would be. He's also only in year two and works hard so he can improve. Other teams also employ more creative ways to pass rush. We have to use more stunts rather than straight rushes. The other key thing in pass rush is putting the other team in throwing situations. We just don't do that. When they aren't in throwing situations, the OLB has other responsibilities he has to ensure are covered first.

So basically, you really think Kerrigan has been good this year as a pass rusher?

I notice that he got credited for a sack last week, but did he really do anything? I didn't even notice that sack.

It was the tackle on the WR option pass, so they were counting that as a sack. Either way, it was a good play though on his part.

Man, if they had just kept Clark, LL and Rogers over the last 5 years - this D would be so much better, if they still ran the 4-3.

Sorry to bust your post, but why do our fans keep playing the "what if" game? What good does this do? I'm so sick of seeing posts lamenting letting go Landry, Taylor, Rogers and Clark. Clark has been gone for like 6 or 7 years. Taylor is dead and will never come back. Landry is not doing that great and Carlos is back to his usual stone hands (dropped 2 against the Giants).

Why is our fanbase constantly living in the past? I get sick of this as much as I get sick of going back to our "great 80s." We need to move forward and find solutions for this team going forward. We have a young, dynamic QB who we need to surround with good players for now and the future. We don't need to keep going back in time. Damn that just gets to me after a while. Sorry is I come off as a jerk, but this kind of thinking has got to stop.

I think I'm going to blow a gasket if I see their names mentioned again.

The 3-4 is a total bust.... there is no way around it.. they just dont have the personnel to run it and there are so few in the league that excel at running it, that I think its unfixable for the foreseable future....

I agree. Kerrigan and Orakpo would both be much more effective as 4-3 defensive ends. I'm pretty much done with the 3-4.

I agree. Kerrigan and Orakpo would both be much more effective as 4-3 defensive ends. I'm pretty much done with the 3-4.

Kerrigan, maybe. Orakpo is pretty small. Remember Orakpo was drafted originally to play OLB in a 4-3 (yeah, our fans forgot that).

I think we have, when healthy, the front 7 to be a good 3-4 team. Injuries and bad coaching has negated that.

One thread labeling Hankerson a bust,other threads with mentions suggesting last April's draft class from round three on down are busts and now piling on Kerrigan.

Yeah, this fan base displays ALOT of patience.

Either Vinny has multiple accounts or alot of you just think like he does.........

I'm a little puzzled because the OP doesn't seem to understand that without Carriker and Orakpo, our ENTIRE line has struggled. Carriker did such a good job of generating pressure from the LDE position that Kerrigan had all day to go one on one with player. Add to that the lack of Orakpo and no need to draw double teams, and I think/hope that you can see the difference on the line. Here's to hoping both players return healthy next season!

Agreed 100%. Both of these guys were DEs in college and were converted for a scheme that doesn't maximize their talent at all. As far as Kerrigan is concerned, there's not much he can do without Orakpo on the other side. He's going to get held as the only legit pass rush threat. He's not a bust and needs to be in a scheme that fits his true talent as a DE which is what he was at Purdue.

I am sorry, but getting double-teamed is not an excuse. And frankly, he is not beating his mean that often even when he isn't double teamed. He is stuck at 4.5 sacks, which is not a good number.

Pretty sure you are trolling... but what is a good number for an OLB who has the worst back end in football behind him and is normally facing a double team?

He has 4.5 sacks, a pick, a touchdown, and a couple of break ups. Those aren't world beater numbers, but I don't think you can call Kerrigan a slacker at all.

Archived