Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you guys happy with Ryan Kerrigan?

redskins59

I, for one, am not. Guy just doesn't seem to generate any pass rush. Sure, he may be one of our best players on defense, but as an outside linebacker, his primary job is to rush the passer well. He is really failing at it. I don't care how many times he is being double-teamed. Good pass rushers always find ways to sack the QB. I am beginning to think that Kerrigan looked good as a pass rusher last year only because of Orakpo.

I always felt that Kerrigan is a better player than Orakpo. He sure is, as an all-around player. But he is failing hard as a sack artist, his primary duty. Generating pass rush is where Orakpo is a much better player than Kerrigan. Now, I am not trying to compare the two players. Orakpo was never able to generate double digit sack numbers since his rookie year, but he sure as hell was able to generate good QB pressure. With no pass rush, even bad QB's have been able to throw for more than 300 yards on the secondary (Christian Ponder comes to mind).

You realize we are only rushing four players most of the time correct? 5 o-linemen vs 4 defensive linemen.... plus a back to chip on either side? Kerrigan gets a double team at least on most plays.

I am sorry, but getting double-teamed is not an excuse. And frankly, he is not beating his mean that often even when he isn't double teamed. He is stuck at 4.5 sacks, which is not a good number.

He does everything well, including pass coverage. He gets put into the WWE "Sleeper Choke hold" every time he rushes however. His Coach and the NFL officials should both address this issue. There aren't a lot of NFL linebackers who can generate a lot of pass rush, defend the run, and drop into coverage as well as Kerrigan. If you're looking to knock someone on our "D," I'd pick on someone else

I don't think most fans understand how much of a luxury it is to have young pass rushers like Kerrigan and Orakpo? First everybody wanted to trade Orakpo, now we're going to complain about Kerrigan? Maybe, just maybe we have a DC who has no clue how to utilize the talent he has to work with?

It's pretty clear that Orakpo and Kerrigan are better as a tandem. Kerrigan still struggles in pass coverage, something one would expect from a player still making that complete transition from end to standing up as a linebacker. The entire defensive line is having a down year pass rush-wise. I like Kerrigan because he's a play maker. He's a good tackler and gets his arms up and actually intercepts the ball when it's there, unlike Orakpo. I think it's essential for Orakpo to be back and healthy next year for us to see Kerrigan's full potential.

To answer your question, yes, I am happy with Kerrigan.

dont forget that he doesn't always have time to get to the QB because our secondary is so bad and there are so many open WRs. Kerrigan is playing very well considering the help he has on defense. and 4.5 sacks after 8 games should be 9 sacks or a season. not super great, but also not bad... maybe let's find legit things to complain about and praise the bright spots like Kerrigan.

It's pretty clear that Orakpo and Kerrigan are better as a tandem. Kerrigan still struggles in pass coverage, something one would expect from a player still making that complete transition from end to standing up as a linebacker. The entire defensive line is having a down year pass rush-wise. I like Kerrigan because he's a play maker. He's a good tackler and gets his arms up and actually intercepts the ball when it's there, unlike Orakpo. I think it's essential for Orakpo to be back and healthy next year for us to see Kerrigan's full potential.

To answer your question, yes, I am happy with Kerrigan.

I agree with this. Now, Kerrigan is a good player. He needs to improve in coverage a little bit, but he is good enough. I specifically remember he gave up a TD last week. His biggest weakness is as a pass-rusher. Everything else he does, he does fine.

I agree with this. Now, Kerrigan is a good player. He needs to improve in coverage a little bit, but he is good enough. I specifically remember he gave up a TD last week. His biggest weakness is as a pass-rusher. Everything else he does, he does fine.

I think Orakpo out of the equation is a huge factor for Kerrigan's pass rush. There are five guys on an offensive line, plus whatever other protection packages they put in. It's logic to understand that when they put two guys on kerrigan, they're going to slow him down enough to allow the QB enough time to get the ball out of there. I mean that's football basics. Rob Jackson and co. don't command the attention that Brian Orakpo does, so they shift it to Kerrigan.

Not especially.... and he is not getting double teamed every play. Maybe a few... I was really watching on Sunday vs. Pitt and that Right Tackle OWNED Kerrigan on 99.9% of the plays.

Maybe its a case of everyone around him sucks but he isnt accomplishing much at the position right now.

The 3-4 is a total bust.... there is no way around it.. they just dont have the personnel to run it and there are so few in the league that excel at running it, that I think its unfixable for the foreseable future....

Man, if they had just kept Clark, LL and Rogers over the last 5 years - this D would be so much better, if they still ran the 4-3.

But Kerrigan is so much better than orakpo. This board needs to stop the homerism. Orakpo opened up everything on this team. Since he got injured this pass rush has disappeared. It doesn't help that Bowen and Cofield are playing like they should be. Last year they both had career years. Jarvis Jenkins is non-existant after his injury

I am sorry, but getting double-teamed is not an excuse. And frankly, he is not beating his mean that often even when he isn't double teamed. He is stuck at 4.5 sacks, which is not a good number.

It's a team sport. We have no other good pass rushers to take attention from Kerrigan and our secondary is so under manned, no QB has to hold on to the ball longer than a few seconds. If you think Kerrigan is the problem you don't know a damn thing about football and probably shouldn't be starting threads. :doh:

Not especially.... and he is not getting double teamed every play. Maybe a few... I was really watching on Sunday vs. Pitt and that Right Tackle OWNED Kerrigan on 99.9% of the plays.

Maybe its a case of everyone around him sucks but he isnt accomplishing much at the position right now.

The 3-4 is a total bust.... there is no way around it.. they just dont have the personnel to run it and there are so few in the league that excel at running it, that I think its unfixable for the foreseable future....

Man, if they had just kept Clark, LL and Rogers over the last 5 years - this D would be so much better, if they still ran the 4-3.

You realize that the secondary doesn't change all that much given the 4-3 or the 3-4, correct?

Until we get a DC who knows what the **** he is doing. I won't give anyone crap on our Defense. Hall included. You are as good as your leader.

"Leadership is the ability to establish standards and manage a creative climate where people are self-motivated toward the mastery of long term constructive goals, in a participatory environment of mutual respect, compatible with personal values."

— Mike Vance

Haslett lost this defense a while ago.

How is this even a discussion open for debate? IMO, he's our best player on D. High motor guy who never quits. Makes big plays at big times. Has gotten much better in coverage and is a sure tackler. Yes, his production is down as Orakpo and Carriker are out, but he's still a stud and the cornerstone of our defense. Need more guys like him on our team and less guys like DHall.

He was superb through the first five games... Absolutely playing at a pro bowl level, which includes three full games played after Rak got hurt. He made some huge plays in Tampa including a critical third down stop and he was excellent against Atlanta generating some pressure and of course making the huge play for the TD.

The past three games he has been entirely too quiet for my taste. Not sure why as nothing major has changed over those three games. Maybe just a little slump?

I would grade his first five games as a definite "A" and the past three as a "C" or a little worse.

Archived