Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

• 3 months later...

With the speed and the type of O we'll be running.... don't we almost have to upgrade our field to use this advantage, more than ever..

now. ?

With the way are offense is shaping into a high speed fly around the field type offense, that does make this an interesting topic.  I for one like grass.  But above all, I want to win.  If the front office sees us having an advantage on turf, I would say change it.  But here is another thought.... D-jax has already burned us plenty of times on the grass field we have today.  Players should be able to adjust either way.

It still staggers me that a multi billion dollar organisaton doesn't take care of it's assets by giving them the very best environment to perform in. 

And that environment the World over in top class team sports id the Dutch system that's as close to real grass as is possible. Only better which ever way you slice it. 

Hail. 

People need to be harping on this rather than worrying about stupid jersey numbers.  

We probably have the fastest offense in the division at this point, but are definitively playing on the worst field.  There's no excuse for it.  Even at the end of last year, it was in better shape than the year before, but it still wasn't optimal.  That's inexcusable.  

What they use at MetLife or what they use at Lincoln Financial should be installed in FedEx asap.  How long does it take to install a new artificial surface, BTW?  I assume there's planning and logisitics involved, so this being April, it's probably too late for next season?

We are still stuck in the 1980's the hogs and Riggo drill mentality, it seems. We have to run moar!

Ground any and all track stars, and then simply be better at running the ball. 

It may be high time to get a race track installed, and end the painted dirt debacles going forward.

I wonder if there is recent injury / turf data available that may help. Technology has changed a ton since 1980.

I like grass the best but they can't seem to take care of it at FedEx, so I'd say yes get the field turf and be done with it.

Honestly, the difference between natural grass and the brilliant Dutch hybrid system is so negligae there really isn't a difference.

If I was Snyder, or any other owner for that matter, this would be the first thing I'd install.

Not only would give my team the best possible surface to perform on, but it woul also maximise my stadium to the fullest whilst still looking and performing as good as new regardless of the extra games and concerts/ events on it.

Hail.

Honestly, the difference between natural grass and the brilliant Dutch hybrid system is so negligae there really isn't a difference.

If I was Snyder, or any other owner for that matter, this would be the first thing I'd install.

Not only would give my team the best possible surface to perform on, but it woul also maximise my stadium to the fullest whilst still looking and performing as good as new regardless of the extra games and concerts/ events on it.

Hail.

If field turf is anything like astro turf. Then there is no comparison to natural grass. I have played on both. And getting tackled on astro turf sucks. No other way to put it. Of course astro turf has a concrete base and I am not familiar with the base on field turf. And to be honest. The speed difference on turf compared to grass is minimal. But the injury risk escalates substantially. I think the reason artificial turf was originally installed was to save money in cold weather climates or for use in indoor environments (domes). But I am a believer that football should be played outside on grass.

Some of you are still going on the 2012 season. The field was a whole lot better this past season. Yes it turned brown and some of it wore in the middle, but at least it wasn't coming up in chunks like the year before.

Here are a couple of screen images from the Cheifs game (next to last home game) with the snow and the Dallas game which was our last game of the season. Looks like it held up against both.

spskins011386528072.jpg

dc181387750271.jpg

Giants and Cowboys have field turf and the Eagles use the Desso Grassmaster system. Here is the last game in 2013 for Philly vs the Bears. Not a huge difference with ours. At least know what you are talking about before spouting off how bad the field is, when it was not in 2013.

131743915.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Field Turf makes sense if they keep playing college games at FedEx as well. Navy-Notre Dame is scheduled to play at FedEx this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if cash-strapped Maryland struck up a deal to play their B1G games against schools like Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State in the not to distant future. 

Giants and Cowboys have field turf and the Eagles use the Desso Grassmaster system.  Here is the last game in 2013 for Philly vs the Bears.  Not a huge difference with ours. At least know what you are talking about before spouting off how bad the field is, when it was not in 2013.

Well considering we completely relaid the field prior to the season, then dug-up and relaid end to end between the numbers after the Chargers game Nov. 3 at half way, it sure as heck should of looked a ton better. 

Hail. 

I concede your point, but it does amuse me that everyone in this picture is either falling down or on the ground.

I thought the same thing.

I used to be completely against turf, but it was that ***** old stuff.  I actually got the chance to run on one of the new fields and I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the dirt field next to it and the new stuff.  It was incredible, not at all like that crap that would destroy your knees, it actually has the same give that regular grass and dirt does.  

I'd be perfectly fine with that type of turf.

I concede your point, but it does amuse me that everyone in this picture is either falling down or on the ground.

I guess he was cutting back. Snow will always be slick no matter what I guess. I just think there was some slight overreaction to the field. Yes, the year before, it was a disgrace. I thought they did a good job last year.

Archived