Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

Why do fans continue this "fake grass" is better when year after year NFL football players vote in a survey 60-70 percent preferring grass? Yes, the new "fake grass" is better than the old astro turf but the NFL Players association surveys its members every year and they overwhelmingly prefer real grass because they believe there are fewer injuries and less soreness after playing on regular grass. Even several studies have shown that fewer injuries occur on real grass. NFLPA and the NFL have commissioned such studies.

So what if a grass field does not look "pretty" on your 60 inch HDTV. Safety is far more important than how the game looks on your TV. Now turf does need to be properly cared for.

I know Redskins fans always think they "know" better but the Redskins consulted several turf and synthetic surface experts before they settled on the current turf they installed after making drainage and other sub surface improvements. Caring for a football field is not the same as a golf course or even a soccer field. Totally different type of wear and tear. It's not like Danny drove down to the local Home Depot to buy some sod and dropped on the field. Sheeesssshhhh.....

Candidly, I'm tired of this issue coming up almost every year.  If the newfangled field turf would put this issue to bed, then do it.  My preference is for a grass field, but I certainly recognize the utility of synthetic grass on a year-round, multipurpose basis.

• 3 months later...

Replacing the field with a synthetic turf or prescription turf is really not necessary and a total waste of money. A better agronomic plan and utilization of the innumerable resources at FedEx is what needs to happen. It is my understanding that Lat-36 (Bermudagrass) was installed last year prior to the beginning of the season and then ripped up over the bye week. WHY ?

I don't understand why we aren't scalping the Bermuda down and overseeding with Rye at 7-9 Lbs / M or 300-400 Lbs / A

Given that perennial rye really doesn't need a lot of soil to seed contact like other grasses do, you don't even need to scalp down the Bermuda. A slit seeder would fit the bill quite nicely especially if you split the seeding rate in half and seed in two directions.

WOW!  I didn't know for  a minute there if I was on Extremeskins or ExtremeAgronomy.com!

;)

If Snyder is set on doing more concerts and other events at the stadium that make $ sense then he should go with the highest quality synthetic turf IMO.  What we have is not so much grass but painted sand/dirt and perhaps the worst field in the league.  The fact that the field had a part in taking out the current face of the franchise twice (that he mortgaged the future in the way of draft picks) this is long overdue....

OR

Stop the ****ing concerts and other events on the field and install the same type field that Green Bay has.

That Green Bay field looks like absolute trash! It looks worse than FedEx in the game that killed Robert in 2012.

If anyone wanted Desso, take a look at the painted dirt in Lambo in the center of the field. Field was heated too.

Agreed. Our field has been fine the last two years since the Seattle playoff game when it was coming up in chunks. Look at Denver today. Same as Lambeau and they have Desso too. Our fans just find anything to **** about with Snyder.

Agreed. Our field has been fine the last two years since the Seattle playoff game when it was coming up in chunks. Look at Denver today. Same as Lambeau and they have Desso too. Our fans just find anything to **** about with Snyder.

I have no agenda against Snyder. My agenda is to put forth the best feasible. The team, management, scouting, coaching, facilities, FedEx, game day experience, etc.

Everything about this team should be investigated and reviewed with specific priorities placed by the Executive staff. The field is just one component of many. This is Snyder's organization, so yes it falls under his Executive Management team he selected or components he is involved in.

Desso is not the answer? Hell I don't know. Hire a company that specializes in football fields to address the issue. it was just my two cents.

I have no agenda against Snyder. My agenda is to put forth the best feasible. The team, management, scouting, coaching, facilities, FedEx, game day experience, etc.

Everything about this team should be investigated and reviewed with specific priorities placed by the Executive staff. The field is just one component of many. This is Snyder's organization, so yes it falls under his Executive Management team he selected or components he is involved in.

Desso is not the answer? Hell I don't know. Hire a company that specializes in football fields to address the issue. it was just my two cents.

I too want the best field possible, but our fans were complaining about the field like it was 3 years ago when it was literally coming up in chunks. The field, while not perfect, has been adequate the last two years and has held up pretty well.

That Green Bay field looks like absolute trash! It looks worse than FedEx in the game that killed Robert in 2012.

I am watching the same game as you and agree.  Looks like the painted dirt aka "grass" that we are accustomed to seeing at FEDEX.  Disregard my later option in my previous post.

Yeah, like Denver's field is looking great too. Listen, any team that has an actual winter and has grass, by December or January, the field will be torn up. It's part of football. It's what makes football special.

Different field dimensions in baseball is what makes that sport special.

And hockey has problems come playoff time because of the warm temperatures outside. You deal with it.

I am watching the same game as you and agree.  Looks like the painted dirt aka "grass" that we are accustomed to seeing at FEDEX.  Disregard my later option in my previous post.

Yeah .. I wasn't trying to be a jerk in my response. I just was surprised that a Desso Grassmaster field, from all of the hype that I've read about it the last few years, could look so bad! After that 2012 game, I too thought we should go that direction. It's just interesting to think that maybe Dan wasn't "an idiot" after all by not doing what I thought he should do. As to fake turf, I have never thought that we should go that route.

Maybe my point was that we should try Desso before we went to turf. We don't have the more extreme climates that GB and Denver have. An effort to keep it "grass" before a full move over to turf. I too like grass, but playing in dirt sucks (painted or not). It gets wet you lose traction, and it is not near the same field as playing on a well kept grass field. Desso, IMO, would assist in regards to maintenance.  

I don't like the concerts/other events in the stadium when it comes to grass. Just more abuse and less time for the field to heal, so to speak. My yard requires constant maintenance; aeration, fertilizing, seeding, watering, cutting, etc. It looks great but really takes a lot of money and effort to keep it looking that way.

There is no way any field in the NFL that is outdoors should have turf - this is FOOTBALL - dirt, grass stains all make it so much more fun to watch.

Also in the last two seasons the field has looked good. 

And I was surprised at how bad the two DESSO fields looked today, last years playoff games they were much nicer.

Archived