Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

The Panthers have Bermuda grass and I don't seem to recall them having much problem keeping it nice. Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of Panthers games and never paid too much attention. But if it was bad, that would be something people would notice. Also, Charlotte's weather conditions don't seem too different from Maryland (maybe a little warmer later into the season?).

Also, what about Kansas City? I think they have natural grass, and I don't recall their stadium having many problems.

greenbay and Denver definitely had the muddy look in the middles if the field because they consist of artificial and real grass. but by no means were those fields in bad shape today no one was sliding all over the place like they we our last two games this year. im all for the dessco system

The Panthers have Bermuda grass and I don't seem to recall them having much problem keeping it nice. Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of Panthers games and never paid too much attention. But if it was bad, that would be something people would notice. Also, Charlotte's weather conditions don't seem too different from Maryland (maybe a little warmer later into the season?).

Also, what about Kansas City? I think they have natural grass, and I don't recall their stadium having many problems.

I live outside of Charlotte. It gets cold here, but we don't get the snowfall and as many below freezing temperatures. Similar, but different then MD.

greenbay and Denver definitely had the muddy look in the middles if the field because they consist of artificial and real grass. but by no means were those fields in bad shape today no one was sliding all over the place like they we our last two games this year. im all for the dessco system

Yeah, with Desso, you may have more grip with the artificial grass woven in there, but maybe our last game was more of a cleat issue. Players don't like the longer cleats as they think it slows them down, so they traded speed for grip.

Can I volunteer to help do this?

Whatever grass it is, they're **** at maintaining it. It's a **** show from October on, every season.

Say what you will about the personalities involved, 90% of the blame for Griffin's knee injury lies on the condition of that turf.

I've said it in another thread but EVERY Griffin injury happened at home (the Cincy head, the Baltimore knee, the Seattle knees and Jacksonville ankle). You take a kid with Olympic level speed and you give him a slow track to play on, they spotted the rest of the league a couple nano seconds in getting closer to hit him. I'm convinced if he'd only ever played on field turf he would never have been caught by Ngata and he could have avoided a lot of punishment on his athleticism alone.

Can I volunteer to help do this?

Whatever grass it is, they're **** at maintaining it. It's a **** show from October on, every season.

Say what you will about the personalities involved, 90% of the blame for Griffin's knee injury lies on the condition of that turf.

I've said it in another thread but EVERY Griffin injury happened at home (the Cincy head, the Baltimore knee, the Seattle knees and Jacksonville ankle). You take a kid with Olympic level speed and you give him a slow track to play on, they spotted the rest of the league a couple nano seconds in getting closer to hit him. I'm convinced if he'd only ever played on field turf he would never have been caught by Ngata and he could have avoided a lot of punishment on his athleticism alone.

Well, the head injury he suffered was against Atlanta, not Cincinnati.  I don't care what stadium you are in.  If your head "whips" back like his did, only a pillow and mattress would have saved him from a concussion.

The Baltimore knee had absolutely "zero" to do with the turf.  Griffin dove forward, instead of sliding and his leg was up in the air and slammed against a 340 pound DT.  How can you blame the "turf" for that.

Yes, the turf was horrible, horrendous, terrible against Seattle.  It not only cost him his knee, but the Seattle kicker and one of their LBers knees.  My theory (and just my own crazy theory) is that sooner or later Robert's knee was going to give out.  The first surgery had deteriorated and it was "loose" according to Dr. Andrews.  So, maybe if not that game, maybe it goes the following season.  This I will give you.  The field was amateurish.

The jacksonville game?  Not sure.  Some say the turf wasn't good, but from what I could see, it didn't look bad. I'm thinking this was just a case of him landing wrong on his foot with the way he torked his body around to make the throw. It could have been partly the shoe?  Who knows.  I'm not sure I'd 100% say the turf is what did it.  Looking at the slow motion replay, his shoe gripped the turf like it should with the cleats, but his foot didn't stop. 

I'd like for them to try the Desso Grassmaster, but I vehemently disagree with anyone that says the field has been garbage or not up to NFL standards the last 2 years. I think some of you are just reaching for anything to b**** about with Snyder now that he's actually got a real football guy in charge and you can't compain about that.

get whatever they have in baltimore.  It works.  

They have field turf.  It has it's advantages and disadvantages. One thing I noticed about field turf is, it is "a lot" slicker in wet weather than grass. To me, they look like they are on an ice skating rink. And the type of field you play on has no bearing on whether or not a team is a winning team. Green Bay/Denver- Grass, NE/Baltimore- Turf.  Those teams win because of the FO and players and has nothing to do with the ground they play on.

The Baltimore knee had absolutely "zero" to do with the turf.  Griffin dove forward, instead of sliding and his leg was up in the air and slammed against a 340 pound DT.  How can you blame the "turf" for that.

Physics. He's faster on synth than on turf. I believe he doesn't have to dive there b/c he's in another position physically.

Physics. He's faster on synth than on turf. I believe he doesn't have to dive there b/c he's in another position physically.

Well, that's just a hypothetical what if and basically there is no way you could think it might be any different. Could it? Sure. Likely? No. Don't forget, it was a cold, wet day, so the turf would have been slicker, slowing him down.

Natural grass. 

They had the Dutch hybrid for a number of years but have gone back to purely natural grass. 

Hail. 

I'm sorry, but this time you get a failing grade :P  Please see the teacher after class:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-05-06/sports/bs-sp-ravens-turf-stadium-0506-20100504_1_turf-fields-lardarius-webb-ravens

Ravens replace artificial turf at M&T Bank Stadium
Ravens replace artificial surface M&T
May 06, 2010|By Jamison Hensley | The Baltimore Sun

The Ravens are putting finishing touches on the new turf at M&T Bank Stadium this week, which means the teamicon1.png will stay with an artificial surface for the foreseeable future.

This SportExe field, which features 1billion blades of green synthetic fibers with a base of sand and granular rubber, is essentially the same as the highly rated one that has been in place for seven years. The older turf had begun to lose its softness, which led to the team's installing its first new field since it changed from grass in 2003.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Team officials thought about a possible switch back to grass, but the overwhelming sentiment was to continue with the artificial surface, which should last 10 years.

I'm sorry, but this time you get a failing grade :P  Please see the teacher after class:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-05-06/sports/bs-sp-ravens-turf-stadium-0506-20100504_1_turf-fields-lardarius-webb-ravens

Ravens replace artificial turf at M&T Bank Stadium
Ravens replace artificial surface M&T
May 06, 2010|By Jamison Hensley | The Baltimore Sun

The Ravens are putting finishing touches on the new turf at M&T Bank Stadium this week, which means the teamicon1.png will stay with an artificial surface for the foreseeable future.

This SportExe field, which features 1billion blades of green synthetic fibers with a base of sand and granular rubber, is essentially the same as the highly rated one that has been in place for seven years. The older turf had begun to lose its softness, which led to the team's installing its first new field since it changed from grass in 2003.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Team officials thought about a possible switch back to grass, but the overwhelming sentiment was to continue with the artificial surface, which should last 10 years.

I read 'Baltimore' as 'Pittsburgh.' 

Ignore me and carry on. 

Hail. 

Those teams win because of the FO and players and has nothing to do with the ground they play on.

Check the stats out.  Fedex field is the worst field over the past 10 years for kickers.  Why is that?  

Oh yeah why is that there are more ex-redskin kicker than any other in the league?

Check the stats out. Fedex field is the worst field over the past 10 years for kickers. Why is that?

Oh yeah why is that there are more ex-redskin kicker than any other in the league?

Again, nobody is saying the turf wasn't terrible from 2012 and before. It was. It was the worst. What we ARE saying is the turf was fixed and for the last two years it hasn't been an issue. Forbath doesn't seem to have any issues with the turf the last 2 years.

I think we should go the desso route myself. still have the real grass feel and im not seeing chunks of grass fly in the air every time a player tries to make a cut. like is the case at our beloved stadium

Then you've committed yourself to not re-sod the field every November.

(Not saying anything about the validity or the invalidity of that approach).  

I think we should go the desso route myself. still have the real grass feel and im not seeing chunks of grass fly in the air every time a player tries to make a cut. like is the case at our beloved stadium

Rather have grass blades flying up then chunks of turf. The last 2 years has been nothing like the year Griffin hurt his knee. I saw grass and some dirt flying around which is normal on a grass field, but I do not recall any chunks of turf coming up that they had to go onto the field during timeouts to tamp it down. A lot of exaggeration in here on how bad the turf really is. People are going by 2012.

Archived