Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

FedEX shouldn't be upgraded ... it should be leveled and sold to a land developer.  Some of you must have gone to Skins games at RFK ... much louder ... much more intense ... much easier to get to ... much easier to get out of.  For my money FedEx is a bad investment for the Skins.  Replace it, move to a better park and kiss it goodbye.  I hate FedEx.  The seats are too cramped and too close together, the upper deck is too far from the field, the excessively loud piped-in total BS "crowd noise" is a serious pain as is the other crap that comes out of the bazillion speakers in every nook and cranny.  Its a mile or more to walk from the metro, and its a perfect storm of bad traffic patterns and management.  Drop the ticket price on top of that and then try to buy a drink and you end up with broke regular fans and a ton of corporate block seat holders that are flipping the tickets to visiting team fans or giving them away as perks to visiting team fans.

Advice to Mr. Snyder ... build a true home ... world class field ... with a realistic max attendance ... realistic seat sizes and spacings and limit the mark up on food and drinks to something under 400% ... put it near a metro station and major highways and have someone intelligent design the traffic patterns.  If there were things next to it (e.g., Verizon Center, Camden Yards) to do before and after the game that would be even better.  Until then I have the following words for you ... Samsung 60" plasma HDTV, comfortable seats for me, my family and friends and a fridge loaded with good and affordable refreshments.  Let Jeerah blow his wad and win "the biggest" bragging nonsense and give us a great place the see the Skins play.

If the gang at Fedex could maintain even a run of the mill natural grass surface, I don't think the call for field turf would be that loud, but at least by the eye test, I can't remember seeing a field surface worse than Fedex at the end of last year and this year.  If resodding isn't the answer (and if this year is any indication, it probably isn't), then they have to do something because we are not comparing grass vs. field turf, we are comparing Fedex grass vs. an alternative.  Like I said in a previous post, I think Desso system makes a lot of sense, but it seems almost anything would end up being better than the current Fedex turf.

,,,,, That, and even more important, keep all other activities, concerts college football games out of the Fed Ex before and during the NFL season. 

You can't realistically do that and run a business man when the sport only allows for 10 pre-season/ regular season games a year. 

We'd be doing ourselves a financial disservice to not fully maximise the stadiums potential. 

The good thing about the hybrid, is it's that's hard wearing and durable, it allows you to do that year round whilst still maintaining a perfect playing surface. 

Hail. 

You can't realistically do that and run a business man when the sport only allows for 10 pre-season/ regular season games a year. 

We'd be doing ourselves a financial disservice to not fully maximise the stadiums potential. 

The good thing about the hybrid, is it's that's hard wearing and durable, it allows you to do that year round whilst still maintaining a perfect playing surface. 

Hail. 

How much did RG3 cost both in cash and draft picks? The hybrids are still not as forgiving as natural turf, i.e, the turf will give before the ankle or knee, not so with hybrid artificial crap.

How much did RG3 cost both in cash and draft picks? The hybrids are still not as forgiving as natural turf, i.e, the turf will give before the ankle or knee, not so with hybrid artificial crap.

I think you really need to take a look at the Dutch system. 

It's the closest thing to natural grass without being 100% natural grass. There's still a lot of misconceptions in the States still going off the old artificial surfaces. The current versions are light years away from those. 

Hail. 

The thing is, FedEx doesn't have the infrastructure to really support grass. It's an oversized cookie cutter stadium surrounded by miles of pavement. Things like proper drainage and lightning and advanced systems are basically impossible, especially in cold weather.

Grass. It's football dammit

What are you, 102?

Football has been played on Field Turf for years. Does it morph into 3D chess or cricket if it's played on Field Turf?

Football is football is football. I'll put some wet green paint on the field if grass/mud stains mean that much to you. But those things have no meaningful impact on the game aside from making some football "purist" happy.

The thing is, FedEx doesn't have the infrastructure to really support grass. It's an oversized cookie cutter stadium surrounded by miles of pavement. Things like proper drainage and lightning and advanced systems are basically impossible, especially in cold weather.

This adds up to me. For some reason JKC designed the thing after Giants stadium and they switched between grass and artificial turf for years in that place.

... I think Desso system makes a lot of sense ...

You have to understand the nature of the current grass being grow at fedex as well as the nature of installing Desso in order to understand the practical issues involved.

Essentially it's but one aspect of things but not the preeminent one.

This adds up to me. For some reason JKC designed the thing after Giants stadium and they switched between grass and artificial turf for years in that place.

And eventually they even put Field Turf in old Giants Stadium.

There is more to do it than simply getting a better grounds crew. We need a better irrigation system and proper drainage and we need to be able to tend the field with grow lights and we need to be able to heat it. And as is, FedEx is just not built for all that extra crap right now.

JKC rushed to get his stadium done and he never future proofed it. So most of what has been happening is just patchworking, hoping we find something that works.

At this point, putting in Field Turf would be more cost effective (I know no one cares about how much money Dan spends but still), and it's the one system our crap stadium could take without much issue.

So I'm not truly understanding whats going on here....  why, with the new Latitude 36 bermuda grass installed this last off season, does Fedex field still look a mess?  Not only does it look a mess, but I believe it hurts our performance and with a franchise QB with knee issues, having a rough field is not the best idea.

What was our expectations with this new surface and why hasn't it improved as much as we all hoped?

I don't think you all are reading these post = Grassmaster is a GRASS field that is supplemented with millions of artificial turf fibers - this is used in DENVER and GREEN BAY. 

This stuff should become mandatory in all fields in the NFL 

Tom

Archived