Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

I liked Monk4Halls presentation; where there's a will, there's a way.

Ya gotta admit, if people can grow marijuana in an attic, producing healthy plants with trip-tear leafs, double-fused buds, and...um....I think I said too much :pfft:, but you get the picture; it is very possible, and it may take a little modifying but it can be done.

If we were playing a NFC C game there, do you think Snyser would tell them to paint the dirt? I doubt it; he'd prob tell them to put down new sod and have a 24/7 team to care of it the game.

Hec, at my work, on the friggin roof no doubt, there's a few clumps of dirt up there, and nice green grass is more than thriving in it; surprised the **** outta me, but when I told the maint. people to go mow the roof, they all looked at me funny...

If you REALLY wanna get into a lengthy discussion, configure out a new way of designing cleats so that they don't do as much damage...

This thread hurts my heart.

This is freakin football. What needs to be outlawed are domes and candy ass turf teams.

Slow motion shots of grass and dirt flying through the air as a runner gets tackled is what HD TV was invented for

The turf at FedEx sucks but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater

I liked Monk4Halls presentation; where there's a will, there's a way.

If we were playing a NFC C game there, do you think Snyser would tell them to paint the dirt? I doubt it; he'd prob tell them to put down new sod and have a 24/7 team to care of it the game.

Hec, at my work, on the friggin roof no doubt, there's a few clumps of dirt up there, and nice green grass is more than thriving in it; surprised the **** outta me, but when I told the maint. people to go mow the roof, they all looked at me funny...

If you REALLY wanna get into a lengthy discussion, configure out a new way of designing cleats so that they don't do as much damage...

If Snyder didn't take care of it for a home playoff game (first one in long time), then he wouldn't have done it for the NFC C game.... unless a big stink was made about it like what's happening now. I expect the issue to be addressed this offseason AFTER the Kenny Chesney concert in May.

The lighting issue has been brought up plus your point of hybrid strains of grass.

I've been trying to find out how many other events have taken place in the past month at Fed Ex, but haven't had any luck seaching for prior events.

Monk4thehall,

I believe that was the longest post in the history of ES.

But a darn good one I must admit. :) Showed points with evidence. If this was a class and I'm the teacher, he'd get an 'A' for that term paper. Referenced everything, and seemed to be clear on what his thoughts/words were and what was quoted...

This thread hurts my heart.

This is freakin football. What needs to be outlawed are domes and candy ass turf teams.

Slow motion shots of grass and dirt flying through the air as a runner gets tackled is what HD TV was invented for

The turf at FedEx sucks but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater

But football evolves and it's better to evolve with it rather than continue to believe it's 1982. Teams win by scoring lots of points now. Look at this past weekend's divisional round. Every game was a shootout. I don't really care if they stick with natural turf, but they better make it a pretty pristine surface.

I've been trying to find out how many other events have taken place in the past month at Fed Ex, but haven't had any luck seaching for prior events.

Honestly I don't think a whole lot goes on a FedEx. The timing may hurt though. They have 2 college games during the season that I'm sure don't help. And then maybe 2 concerts in the offseason. So really 10 home games, 2 college games and 2 concerts. So the field is used about 14 times a year with an occasional soccer match thrown in.

Honestly I don't think a whole lot goes on a FedEx. The timing may hurt though. They have 2 college games during the season that I'm sure don't help. And then maybe 2 concerts in the offseason. So really 10 home games, 2 college games and 2 concerts. So the field is used about 14 times a year with an occasional soccer match thrown in.

well, then for a $250 million stadium, I would think they'd have the funding, technology, and interest to provide a better playing surface for the individuals and franchise as a whole that they have invested so much in and is one's way of life and source of earning a living.

In conclusion:

I want someone that is willing to tear down the field and build it back up just because a random player slipped on some random play in some random 2nd quarter. I want to see an organization dedicated to the best of technologies, in order to produce the best of fields. I want to know our grounds crew BY NAME. I want a mad scientist heading all operations of the field, someone to innovate.

The players deserved the best to protect their bodies. We as fans deserve to have an Org leading the way, not middling. If the Redskins won't address the field, then the fans need to keep providing the whys and the hows by showcasing those other organizations across the world of sport, who do get it.

In short, protect the pizzas. "I don't wanna leave 'em with Shamu over there."

Wow what an awesome post and full of so much excellent information. Thanks Monk4hall.

As long as it doesn't cause and increase in season ticket cost, I'd be okay with it. Fedex is hosting more events during the year and its wearing down the surface. Can we do something about covering up the support beams too while we are at it.

It should cost less. It's $50,000 to resod it each time. That adds up. This would take alot less to mantain and can handle multiple things. I don't care too much either way but if our grass is gonna look that bad we need to move onto grass like Denver or Green Day. People who don't know about the different types of field are looking at Green Bay and then looking at DC and simply wondering how our field is worse than the Frozen Tundra

• 11 months later...

I just love how fans of winning franchises don't have these conversations.

Ah the pain of being a Redskins fan. The spinning arrow of blame for 20+ years.

And with that said, whatever type of field we get, Dan Snyder will find a way to **** things up.

A very small tactical nuclear weapon should be placed at the 50 yard line of FedEx and detonated, ensuring that it is done in such a way that nobody is hurt, and the blast is only contained to the confines of the stadium.

(It would be ideal if Sean Taylor's locker is removed prior to the blast.)

Once this is done, a new stadium should be built that has a retractable roof and field turf, so that it can host events all year, including the SB.  

Whether or not the current FedEx should have field turf or natural grass is like arguing whether you want to be executed by hanging or firing squad.  Doesn't really matter, both outcomes suck. 

I think it's time to go with field turf. It's tough to grow grass year-round here. Places like Philly and New York don't apologize for the fact that they can't grow natural grass, so why should we?

Install an artificial surface and stop having to deal with it.

I wouldn't do that even man. Just get the Dutch guys over and install the hybrid. Best of both Worlds and you could still maximise FedEx to the fullest all year round for concerts and other football games safe in the knowledge you'll always have a near perfect grass playing surface regardless. 

Hail. 

the Eagles field. i like it. 
i get that football is to be played on real grass, but it's different when it's more like a grass carpet. like it is now,, it's chewed up, rutted up, loose. 

Plus, I like the pellets being able to send up a spray to show if a toe drags or not.

~Bang

Archived