Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

They could do what M&T bank stadium for the Liverpool/Hot Spurs game this summer and lay sod overtop. That worked fine.

I didn't watch that game, but I saw what it looked like when they did that in Seattle and it definitely wasn't fine.

Regardless, the surface needs to be addressed at FedEx. It was atrocious last night.

I didn't watch that game, but I saw what it looked like when they did that in Seattle and it definitely wasn't fine.

Regardless, the surface needs to be addressed at FedEx. It was atrocious last night.

I can't speak to the seattle game. but maybe the weather played a role? I don't know. The M&T game was a bright sunny day in july.

It wasn't just atrocious last night. It's always bad after the first game of the season @ FedEx Field. It's been that way for years. If they are intent on keep grass, they must find a way to keep it nicer.

That's the beauty of grass, it isn't perfect. It helps players' careers last longer.

the new stuff does the same.

I agree. FedEx needs Field Turf if they can't keep it in good shape. You'd think it would be a no-brainer because Snyder could try hosting more college football games, and soccer games without worrying about grass issues.

i'm going with no but for a different reason. I don't want any upgrades on that damn stadium and I wish the skins would move to Wash... If that's out of the realm of possibility than I'm in favor of anything that gives the team an advantage. If that's this new style turf lets go with it! But take into consideration that other teams will be just as fast. There won't be any advantage at all from that standpoint.

I honestly wonder if those still churning out the 'football should be played on grass, and grass ALONE' mantra have even bothered to look through the thread at the wonderful technology that has lead to the current state of play with the hybrid fields that are good and play just as well as any natural grass surface you care to mention.

Too many people seem stuck on the early days of artificial turf. Which the hybrid systems couldn't be further from.

Hail.

Field turf is much better than the old astroturf but it still isn't grass. My knees, hips and ankles hurt after playing on it. Your cleats still will snag every once in a while. Plus, I just like the way it looks on TV. I like to see mud and grass stains on a jersey when the game is over.

I'm not sure why fed-ex looks like crap right now. Have they been playing a bunch of college and HS games there? That bermuda grass field should still be pretty solid still. The HS field down the street still looks good and they are practicing and playing playoff games on it right now.

I used to help out on the grounds crew during otas and preseason. Our field is a huge embarrassment. Its Snyder's fault for trying to host so many events and never giving the grass a chance to recover and grow into the soil. It was constantly being replaced and resodded and in

order to try and speed up the growth the sod was put over that sandy mixture you see every week. Nothing against the crew they were doing the best they could given their massive time constraints but honestly most of the time you can go down to the field and just pull up huge chunks of turf alarmingly easy. I'm no pro athlete but even when I would run around on it the amount of slipping and sliding was Pretty severe, not to mention the annoying amount of crap that made its way into your shoes and the bugs bunny roadrunner puffs that shoot out every time the players are running down the field. While I suppose you could say it gives the redskins a slight advantage because they're more familiar with it, its by no means an ideal surface to run and try to make cuts on. I've actually wondered for a long time whether there's a correlation between this and the high amount of ankle and lower body injuries our

team always seems to suffer.... I know Cooley screwed up his knee cuz of a big divot in the field from the U2 concert

i'm going with no but for a different reason. I don't want any upgrades on that damn stadium and I wish the skins would move to Wash... If that's out of the realm of possibility than I'm in favor of anything that gives the team an advantage. If that's this new style turf lets go with it! But take into consideration that other teams will be just as fast. There won't be any advantage at all from that standpoint.

Redskins have a 30-year lease at FedEx so the idea of moving to DC before that expires, while it would be nice, isn't gonna happen. I actually have mixed feelings on this, however, because PSL's will undoubtedly follow and I don't want that.

The field is atrocious and I feel it hurts our style of play. Having said that, I think there is a correlation between turf and the increase in knee injuries.

I honestly wonder if those still churning out the 'football should be played on grass, and grass ALONE' mantra have even bothered to look through the thread at the wonderful technology that has lead to the current state of play with the hybrid fields that are good and play just as well as any natural grass surface you care to mention.

Too many people seem stuck on the early days of artificial turf. Which the hybrid systems couldn't be further from.

Hail.

My eldest son is a goalkeeper over here in the UK and is starting to play at a good level of junior football (soccer to most of you) and has been invited to some centre of excellence coaching courses for young goalkeepers. He's 10.

The sessions take place at an FA centre (Football Association) and on one of the latest generation field turf fields. They call it 3G turf over here. It is excellent and a world away from the surfaces I plaid on back in the 80's which were essentially a bit of carpet laid over concrete with a thin layer of sand if you were lucky! However its still not quite like grass. It does not have as much give, the bounce is not quite the same (not an issue for the NFL of course) and with te footwear they use they get so much grip it puts pressure on ankles in particular.

Its much closer than it was - and I would rather play on field turf than some mud patch or sand pit - but a good natural grass field is still the best way to go IMO.

Redskins have a 30-year lease at FedEx so the idea of moving to DC before that expires, while it would be nice, isn't gonna happen. I actually have mixed feelings on this, however, because PSL's will undoubtedly follow and I don't want that.

The field is atrocious and I feel it hurts our style of play. Having said that, I think there is a correlation between turf and the increase in knee injuries.

Ok that's kind of what I thought about the moving subject. I'm a little torn as well because I think winning will cure a lot of the issues we have with the stadium. Maybe not all but it'll make the place FUN again.

Off this topic but on TV I saw A LOT of Blue Jerseys in the stands. Were there as many Giants fans as it seemed? I could hear CRUZ every time that chump caught the ball as well.

Snyder owns the stadium and I assume PG County owns the land it's on and they have a lease. But as a contract analyst, there is "always" an out on a contract. It may cost him, but if he feels that we would be better served to build a new stadium in DC to host a Super Bowl, it's not out of the relm of possibility to get out of a lease.

Fake or natural? I have always been an all natural kind of guy..........oh wait, we're talking about what again?

Fake? If I can touch it, it's real...

---------- Post added December-4th-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

When I watch a dvd of a Redskins game in good ol' RFK, I can't help but drool when I see that vivid green grass...or, um, should I say painted dirt! But at least it started out as grass in september.

Kinda get that line from Hostory of the World stuck in my head; "everything's so GREEN...

SIC

I remember after the last game at RFK, getting a patch of that "grass". It was like 10 sickly looking blades of grass with green paint all over. Awful looking up close, but looked good from a distance. Makes you wonder how much of those "grass stains" are grass, and how much are paint? ;-)

I don't think the Redskins have a "lease" per se... They own the stadium. So, they may have a contract with Fed Ex for naming rights, but with a stadium they own, it wouldn't make sense to leave. Jack Kent Cooke did it the right way, he paid to have his own stadium built instead of coercing a city to burn tax money. IMO>.

Perhaps they just need a better field crew... I like natural grass...

Archived