Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

I prefer playing on turf. The games are much faster and cleaner. Not in the sense of dirt, but in the sense of not stumbling over patches etc. Actually, the only time I prefer grass is in the rain when it gets really nasty. Other than that, give me turf all day!

Part of the deal is that the soil that is in Fedex Field is a very, very sandy soil. I have talked to a number of players who said that after they get used to it, that it is actually an advantage over other teams coming in and not expecting it.

A lot of this seems to boil down to some weird, "old school" mentality about where and how football should be played other than an objective analysis of whether or not grass is actually better.

Can anyone advocating keeping a grass field explain why it's better to have a grass field for any other reason that it's aesthetically pleasing to see grass stains and football is "meant" to be played on grass?

• Studies show fewer serious injuries, particularly knee injuries occur on natural turf.
  • The Redskins put down new turf twice a year. One in mid-summer and again midway through the Redskins season.
  • Have none of you seen how many times players slip on the carpet in the other stadiums?
  • Football was intended to play in the elements with sun, rain, mud, snow, whatever.
  • Fake grass don't belong in Football....PERIOD.

A lot of this seems to boil down to some weird, "old school" mentality about where and how football should be played other than an objective analysis of whether or not grass is actually better.

Can anyone advocating keeping a grass field explain why it's better to have a grass field for any other reason that it's aesthetically pleasing to see grass stains and football is "meant" to be played on grass?

Old school perhaps, but why would you consider the opinion that grass is a preferred surface to be "weird"?

I am all for real grass so as long as its kept nice and well maintained. Not sure what is under FexEx field (sand??) but here was white stuff flying all over the place as players ran (that dont look like grass to me). That white stuff is similar to the black tire stuff that flies up on the artificial grass fields.

edit: have there been studies done on if injuries to the lower extremities occur less frequently on the artificial stuff? Seems like there is enough sample size to actually do a study on blown knees, for example.

Notice how it's all (and please forgive me here) the older folks who seem to be against it. Many of whom I'm betting have never even stepped foot on the more modern surfaces that are out there. My high school got it my senior year. It was the nicest surface I've ever been on. Really makes you play faster.

As far as the whole "meant to be played in elements" argument. Am I missing something here?

Sun? Yea it still shines on turf.

Rain? Yea it still rains on turf.

Snow? Yea it still snows on turf.

Only thing you wouldn't get is the mud bowls. And even with the natural surfaces of today, those mud bowls are still extremely rare.

Notice how it's all (and please forgive me here) the older folks who seem to be against it. Many of whom I'm betting have never even stepped foot on the more modern surfaces that are out there. My high school got it my senior year. It was the nicest surface I've ever been on. Really makes you play faster.

As far as the whole "meant to be played in elements" argument. Am I missing something here?

Sun? Yea it still shines on turf.

Rain? Yea it still rains on turf.

Snow? Yea it still snows on turf.

Only thing you wouldn't get is the mud bowls. And even with the natural surfaces of today, those mud bowls are still extremely rare.

Get off my lawn.

I'd reluctant to do much more in terms of upgrading to FedEx. The place next felt like home for the Skins. It was built at the wrong time under the wrong circumstances. I know D.C. wasn't working with JKC to get something good done. But the day they open a 65K-70K state of the art stadium in the city with retractable roof, full WiFi and a cozy environment for Skins fans, will be very happy day indeed.

Archived