Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Fedex Field upgrade and get Synthetic Turf

DubMoney

Switching to turf would only be an upgrade in terms of cost efficiency for Snyder and the slight gains in speed for your skill players.

Other than that, more injuries (turf will not give way like grass and soil allowing for more cleats stuck in the ground when a defender hits a ball carriers leg), turf makes for nasty turf burn on the arms of running backs and receivers, and the simple fact that football was meant to be played on real grass.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question(S):

With these "combo fields" aka hybrids ...

where there is some synthetic and some actual grass together - Do you cut the grass? Does the natural grass grow to a point where you need to trim it, IF so, does that endanger the synthetic stuff?

What about watering and fertilizer? Does that still get applied due to the natural grass undergrowth or does that not matter? Would fertilizer affect the synthetic grass ... discoloration?

OK ... just bear with me on this ... is the "natural undergrowth" bermuda grass? - IF so, I played (once) on the Byrd stadium bermuda grass and I absolutely hated it. Thought it was crap.

So if that is the quote "natural" aspect of the grass, I can see why it would help stabilize the "hold" of the ground, because bermuda grass spiders out and stays low to the ground ... but at the same time it dies off pretty easy and won't be around in winter.

Also I felt like it wasn't the most responsive grass to run on ... (I don't know how to describe it).

Leads me to another question: What about a system to warm the ground in the winter, in order to spawn or continue the growth of the natural grass, is that included in this syntho field ?

OR do you just let it alone (no warming)?

p.s.

I'm not in favor of the rubber pellet, plastic, syntho-fields. BUT, I like the idea of a combo natural and firm synthetic combo which has great irrigation and drainage.

fornicate the coaches

fornicate the owner

fornicate the fans

you walk up to the gentleman wearing the number 10 jersey, who (hopefully) will be the future of the franchise for the next decade+, and you say Mr. Griffin, on what type of field do you prefer our team to play?

Exactly. It's just laziness on the Redskins side. No need to buy a new car if you just remember to change your oil.

Come on. You know they have a full time grounds crew who maintain the turf. It gets replaced twice per year.Cold weather, rain and wear and tear makes it difficult for turf to stay "pretty" in late November and December. At one time, FedEx Field had a state of the art drainage system under the turf. Don't know if it is still "state of the art" but it can't be more than a few years from that standard if it has not been improved.

A grass field is never going to look as "pretty" as artificial turf. Will guys slip from time to time...yes...nature of the beast no matter where you play.

Come on. You know they have a full time grounds crew who maintain the turf. It gets replaced twice per year.Cold weather, rain and wear and tear makes it difficult for turf to stay "pretty" in late November and December. At one time, FedEx Field had a state of the art drainage system under the turf. Don't know if it is still "state of the art" but it can't be more than a few years from that standard if it has not been improved.

A grass field is never going to look as "pretty" as artificial turf. Will guys slip from time to time...yes...nature of the beast no matter where you play.

While true, I wonder if there is room for renovation. I mean, look at what the new screens did for us once they got rid of the Lite-Brite boards. There has to be SOMETHING they could do to improve the state of things, even if it takes an investment on Snyder's part.

I think that you're cutting them way too much slack.

The field is what the field is, and that's all that matters. This is not a one-game or one-season thing; this has been consistent.

I think that if we can call a spade a spade when it comes to our secondary, then we can do the same for the poor maintenance of that field.

I think that you're cutting them way too much slack.

The field is what the field is, and that's all that matters. This is not a one-game or one-season thing; this has been consistent.

I think that if we can call a spade a spade when it comes to our secondary, then we can do the same for the poor maintenance of that field.

+1 ... they charge enough for tickets and make enough off of advertising in the stadium not to do something about this. It literally looks like the guys are running around on sand at times. It's not grass and/or dirt it looks like they are kicking up...

I loved seeing the green green grass of RFK, especially during the first few weeks of the season, but between the season changing and 300+ mammoths with cleats churning up the ground, eventually it will die off.

My dogs used to run back and forth across the grass, barking at the mailman, neighborhood kids, me, but now they run back and forth across dead-ass dirt, because they've churned it up so much.

But there really is nothing like grass; even when they painted the dirt late in the season, it was far better than astroturf, but the synthetic stuff for some reason doesn't seem to like Turf Builder...:silly:

Archived