Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Califan Experiment: no Redskins interwebs for a week

Califan007 The Constipated

When most people decide to take a week off, they just do it. This should not have been a thread. How self-centered are you, really?

If the thread were simply a discussion of "does the obscene amount of coverage these days contribute to an overall negative fan experience", then I'd have agreed with you.

With all due respect to TK, it seems more like a sabbatical from the wear-and-tear of being heavily immersed in Extremeskins and all the web-based info-exchanges related to Redskins issues.

I'd note that Cali has been a big contributor of topics and discussions on ES and adds richness of the dialogue on this board. I don't always agree with Cali , but I try to read his posts whenever I can.

I can't help but note that when someone invests a lot of themselves on ES -- that usually entails a lot of back-and-forth with people who have differing opinons. And while the Mods do step in, there's a often a little rough-and-tumble during the early phases of those ... 'exchange of opinions'. Repeated debates (particularly those that devolve into personally directed attacks) do leave a bit of a negative residue that can build up.

I too have found it good to step back once in a while to get cleared out from that kind of toxicity. And more importantly, it's a good idea to step away from all the web-based information overload. We're human after all.

But this is also a good reason I keep coming back to ES. It's such a great place to 'one-stop shop' for Redskins-related issues and news items of interest. And that's because of ES'ers (like Cali and certainly the Mods and ES content managers) who contribute to the diversity of materials on this board..

Cali, enjoy your sabbatical -- I suspect you'll determine that some internet is needed to keep current on topics that are important to you -- and that there is a way to balance this with other important things going on in life.

I think its a brilliant idea in general. I think more people, myself included, should step away for a week or so throughout the year. This is coming from a gaming junkie that loves all his electronical gadgets. Technology is fantastic and nobody loves it more than I do, **** I played marbles as a kid, built forts, stuff like that, Nintendo didnt come out til I was 10 years old and the internet, well it wasnt until the mid 90s for me in college. I too, like the guy that posted earlier had to rely on the news paper to manually update fantasy stats lol.

With all that said, its nice to get a break from all this stuff and just sit back and relax and enjoy life. All we need is the game on TV, beer, wings and friends/family to enjoy it with. Being out in California might actually make it easier for him, since they will focus on their local markets. I will say this, it would be hard for me to avoid some news, especially if it was ground breaking news just because of my friends. They will text me football related stuff randomly about the Skins and I can't just turn off/not check my texts. And it would be more trouble to ask them not to text me Skins related stuff.

When most people decide to take a week off, they just do it. This should not have been a thread. How self-centered are you, really?

If the thread were simply a discussion of "does the obscene amount of coverage these days contribute to an overall negative fan experience", then I'd have agreed with you.

Yeah? Well I thought your post was worthless :) So I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal taste, doesn't it?

A core piece of effective marketing is to always leave your customers wanting more. In economic terms, scarcity

I think the NFL is over-exposed right now, and trending worse. I fully understand the thought of unplugging to enjoy it more

---------- Post added September-2nd-2012 at 01:47 PM ----------

And this is a thread because...

Let the mods mod please. You've got a great job, just post and enjoy. That's it

Now, let's move on.

It's a fine thread, IMO. :)

I have ways that help me to avoid such overload (and don't even desire such overload). I simply don't twit or read twitland (or facespace for that matter). In the last five years I have probably spent about 5 hours on all other Redksin fan sites combined, and that's just to enhance my edification of "what others are doing."

I visit nfl.com rarely (for more reasons than one) and rarely watch ESPN or nfl.com if isn't for the draft or for a game or a specific Redskins or occasional other-team story of significance. I rarely read any of the blogs. I don't do fantasy football or madden or online, x-box, wii, or ps3 gaming of any type for that matter. Though the Redskins are a part, and often a big part, of almost everyday, I use all that other time for a whole bunch of other non-football stuff. :D

I do read yahoo and Comcast sports page nfl section, watch/listen to local tv/radio sport media at times, check out redskins.com, but primarily it's ES, regularly comparing notes with TK, and watching the games and sunday pre-game/post-game network shows during the season, and talking to well-informed friends and fans of other teams locally that is my routine.

And I still have to take breaks from ES (at least from posting) from time to time. But ES is an awesome resource for any Redskins fan, and with so much to offer in general on a single football-board site. :helmet:

:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky

I get the logic behind needing a break, but this week Cali...really ?

I would consider this one of the most anticipated Redskins games in years....and yes, this week will be hype overload as the RG3 era begins...but this is what we have waited years for and ES is the place to be this week....

Now next week, well......:ols:

What nobody has mentioned yet is how his departure will impact the rest of getting news from the minimum 10 Califan articles a week as well as all the twitter threads.

Somebody better step it up, its game week...

What MTGTM said, the absence of you from the board is already noticeable. Come back to us!

hahaha. The first thought that crossed my mind... especially after cut down days... my wife hid my lap top yesterday morning, hahah.

I've been lucky to get my girlfriend of 5 months to get into the Nats with me. She's just struggling with the 1-4th down in football and innings 1-9 in baseball concepts lmao. I think she stops listening after about 30 seconds.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2012 at 05:58 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure the Internet is the only thing that keeps me sane during the week leading up to that first Sunday.

I know for a fact that if I didn't have Twitter on my phone while working these past couple months, I wouldn't have made it home!

I too enjoy breaks from media over-stimulation. I do this by spending more time with my kids, focusing harder on organization around house, focusing on work...etc. After I have mentally put the Redskins on simmer for 3 or 4 days I find it more pleasing to scan over a "Giants look-a-like" thread, or read other 'Skins fan's opinions about upcoming game, roster talent, or playoff chances.:helmet:

I personally enjoy just reading the threads instead of adding input (regular visitor to EXTREMESKINS since around 2001, yet didn't create an account until 2 years ago), I'm quick to find myself in trouble on forums:evilg:

All I know is the damn people building a house on the lot nextdoor broke my internet twice recently and I was basically crazy during that time. Didn't know what to do with myself lol.

As far as 'dodging' Redskins information this week, I don't think there will be any crazy stellar moves. I get it though, like the good old days. I'm fortunate enough to remember sports without internet. While you're at it, why don't you block out the top part of your TV so you can't see the score lol. Remember that!? Drove you crazy for basketball games.

This is something that would probably be better for all members of this board to do at some point in time. Get away from the madness for one week. Decompress. The board will still be here when you get back and you may even find that you formulate your opinions better when you get to think about them without reading what others think.

Good on Califan. Look forward to reading your opinions when you get back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of our longest standing, currently active posters (and boy was he active all over the board); entered into a week long experiment of no internet back on September 1st.

1 month 2 weeks later and he's still MIA.

Normally this wouldn't concern me. But there's a major gap, particularly over the ATN without Califan. His contributions where so vast to make this sabbatical stand out in bold letters with neon flashing lights.

Anyone heard anything of anything of the dude? This is beyond bizarre.

Hail.

I've been thinking about bumping this thread every week for the last three games... I commented somewhere that I thought maybe his experiment went so, uhm, well that he decided it was much better not to get on here anymore during the season and enjoy it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised. As much as I love this place it just gets to be too much with the ignorant comments as well as the complaining/whining.

I would like it if he came back and just said how it went at least... or just to let us know he's ok.

Archived