Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Califan Experiment: no Redskins interwebs for a week

Califan007 The Constipated

Anyone ever wonder if being on the internet actually makes being a Redskins fan less enjoyable instead of more?

We have a week before the opening game...I'm gonna try an experiment, and stay away from any Redskins-themed sites and message boards starting now, and until next Monday after the game has been played lol :ols:...I'm gonna relive what it's like to not have immediate access to every sliver of news, rumor, speculation and info immediately...I'm gonna remember what it was like to get Skins news and not have 1,728 anonymous Redskins fans instantly telling me how much of an idiot I am for liking or disliking whatever transpired. Seriously, it's like being at a restaurant and having someone constantly tell you why you shouldn't like the food you're eating lol...

So, no Extremeskins, no bgobsession, no hogshaven...gonna turn off my twitter alerts to my phone...someone else will have to provide you guys with what-not lol ;). I'm just gonna go about life, wait for next Sunday, then watch the game...and after the game maybe check out NFL Network or go to ESPN.com and see what the mediots are yappin' about. Maybe.

Will be interesting to see if I enjoy being a Skins fan more without the internet...or if I enjoy it less.

Till next Monday...HTTR

As far as being affected by this site or having constant access to NFL information or specifically Redskins info goes, I don't think it operates as a negative experience if you don't allow it to. If I did what I used to do long ago and said exactly what I think about everything in every thread I come across, I would likely not have as good of an experience on this site. I do find that when I watch games and sit in the game thread (which happens often as I watch games though my computer which is hooked up to my TV Sundays) I typically come away after a win with a much less rosy view of how the team did, and come away from a win with a much more pessimistic view of the team than if I had not read any posts in the gameday thread at all. Oftentimes when I come on here after abstaining from the gameday thread I find that everyone else is far more angry or in despair than I expected them to be following a loss, and far less happy with a win.

I find that this site is a good experience overall, as it is truly the best source for up to date team related information collected from tweets, interviews, and different blogs/websites from all over. If one's goal is to be a highly informed fan when it comes to their team as well as others around the league from the ATN forum, this is a good place to be. I often find that I can more readily discuss personnel and team news on the Eagles and Giants than all the many Eagles and Giants fans I meet up here. Of course the same goes for many Redskins fans, I often meet people or see people at games who cannot identify some of our starters or at least some of our backups when they rotate in. This isn't a negative thing of course, many people have more important things to worry about than learning every player's name every year and they can still follow the team. I like to stay informed on the skins however and this site is invaluable in that capacity.

Good luck with your experiment, I think you'll likely find that you could do just fine without reading ES, since I don't expect much shocking news will happen in the next week. I don't know if your personal experience will improve though, that has everything to do with you and what you like to get out of this.

This reminds me of back in the day when i was in 6th grade (1990) and I used to have to memorize all of the players names, numbers, and positions. I used to write them all down on a piece of paper and, to my credit, I certainly knew the vast majority of the starters (at least). I also remember looking in the newspaper and analyzing all of the stats given in the sports section the day after the game (in the days way before being eligible for the sports bar and Sunday Ticket not yet a reality). Being from Indiana, it was a rare occurrence that I caught a full 'Skins game on the tele. More power to you--looking forward to your thoughts, but I'll be on here daily, and multiple times per day, as per the usual. Extremeskins is a heavy addition for me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyone ever wonder if being on the internet actually makes being a Redskins fan less enjoyable instead of more?

We have a week before the opening game...I'm gonna try an experiment, and stay away from any Redskins-themed sites and message boards starting now, and until next Monday after the game has been played lol :ols:...I'm gonna relive what it's like to not have immediate access to every sliver of news, rumor, speculation and info immediately...I'm gonna remember what it was like to get Skins news and not have 1,728 anonymous Redskins fans instantly telling me how much of an idiot I am for liking or disliking whatever transpired. Seriously, it's like being at a restaurant and having someone constantly tell you why you shouldn't like the food you're eating lol...

So, no Extremeskins, no bgobsession, no hogshaven...gonna turn off my twitter alerts to my phone...someone else will have to provide you guys with what-not lol ;). I'm just gonna go about life, wait for next Sunday, then watch the game...and after the game maybe check out NFL Network or go to ESPN.com and see what the mediots are yappin' about. Maybe.

Will be interesting to see if I enjoy being a Skins fan more without the internet...or if I enjoy it less.

Till next Monday...HTTR

Um, half the fun is getting called an idiot. Usually when someone calls you that, you can be about 70% sure that they are the idiot, not you. In any case, the longest I've made it is 5 days, good luck.

There's potentially truth to this thread.

Last year especially, there was a wave of doom eminating from this board. 75% of the posters were rooting for the team to lose and talking hopelessly of their despair constantly. It became a drag on the games. A wash of gray that put a film over everything.

It was like being part of a suicide watch.

There are many psychological studies that show how exposure to negativity makes you more negative. There are even studies that show being shown negative words without any context can make you gloomier.

So, it is probable that escaping the gravitational pull of Extremeskins will help you enjoy the experience of being a fan more because we are besieged by people who call themselves realists, but in reality make Eeyore seem like a ****sure optimist.

Agree with Califan. There are two very broad categories of fan.

1) those like me who enjoy being optimistic, who approach every year with the idea that we could surprise and win this thing and who don't fear being disappointed so much as enjoy the hope of success.I Still realize when the team is a long shot, but i love thinking they could take it all by surprise.

2) Those who fear being let down and so are relentlessly pessimistic, (often calling it realism) and would prefer to be surprised at any redskins success. Kind of mentally preparing for the worst while hoping for the best. They also console themselves by touting that "they were right" if the redskins fail.

The two, again very broad, types of fans have a hard time coexisting cuz each is a buzz kill to the other. Can make this place rough. . .

Archived