Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which historical Redskins backfield would you take into 2012?

Gart Monk

If you could import a past Redskins RB/FB backfield onto the current roster for the upcoming season (with the current gameplan/roster in place), which backfield would you choose? Please assume that each historical players "attribute set" is relative to that specific year.

This is just to generate some discussion on some previous backfields that the Redskins have had over the last few decades, with a fantasy twist added.

My favorite back is Riggins, but I always preferred the Terry Allen/Stephen Davis/Marc Logan backfield over any other that I ever witnessed.

Opening day cant get here fast enough!

Probably Riggo/Sellers. Riggo is one of the all time greats as a RB. As for Sellers, he was kind of like a truck, but I always remember the first time I saw that 280 bundle of muscle jump over a defender when they tried to tackle him low, mainly because I sprayed soda everywhere.

But Riggo, Brown, and Portis in their primes would all be great RBs to have. Davis would probably be 4th there.

Portis/Sellers in Portis's first year here. Back to back 1500 yard seasons in Denver under Shanahan. Give me more of that.

Hell, Portis might still be around were it not for Gibbs. *looks for lightning to strike me down*

Loved Gibbs, one of if not the best coach to ever coach in the NFL. However, he ran Portis into the ground. Portis flourished in a zone blocking scheme with Shanahan and would have lasted a lot longer. He also killed it in Gibbs system, but just couldn't stay healthy from all the hits. He's still not that old today, and it wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest he could be 3rd downs behind Helu or something today, e.g. LT. (had he stayed with Shanahan).

Hell, Portis might still be around were it not for Gibbs. *looks for lightning to strike me down*

Completely agreed. As good as Gibbs was, he completely changed Portis, which ended up killing his career. Wanted him to put on 20-25 pounds from his Denver days to be able to take those hits. Tried to change the kind of runner he was.

Ports/Sellers at their peak with RG3? Yes sir! Shanahan coaching then too? Can you say....multiple superbowls (im only 21, its all I've really seen. take it easy)

No, I'd go with this as well. I'm young as well, but Portis would have been a HOFer is he played his entire career for Shanahan. Even sacrificing his body and playing differently and heavier for Gibbs he almost hit 10,000 yards.

Adding a rookie Portis onto this roster and into this atmosphere would bring us to a SB in less than 4 years. We'd be unstoppable on offense.

And if you think Portis would have become the non-practicing, blinded-by-his-own-contract/stardom kind of player that he was without the corrupting influence of those ****ed up Redskins locker rooms of the mid-2000's, you're crazy. It was a team culture kind of thing, not a Portis kind of thing. Stick a 21-year old Portis on this team now and he's a totally different personality in the media/locker room.

Portis circa 2005-HB (never have I had more fun watching someone run the ball as Clinton Portis during that 2005 season)

Riggo-FB (Say what you want about Sellars, but John Riggins is, without a doubt, the best fullback we've ever had)

Bench: Larry Brown, Stephen Davis, and Cliff Battles

Guest Spearfeather
Riggins/Washington. John was a frieght train and Joe was like greased lightning and murder catching passes out of the backfield.

This, right here.

Give me Clinton Portis the year we traded for him, without Gibbs putting 40 pounds on him.

Give me the guy who was greased lightning through the crease like he was under Shanahan, who had a 5.5 yard average and 29 touchdowns to go with over 3100 yards rushing in his first two seasons.

If i need a second guy, I'll take Terry Allen, another fast back with some power and excellent cutback ability.

Oh yeah.

~Bang

Well, if we are allowed to mix and match.....i have to go with Riggins and Portis. A Redskin version of thunder and lightening. Heck Riggo has one of the most fabled runs in SB and Redskin history, running over Don McNeil on a 4th and 1 run on the way to the end zone. He was probably the most punishing runner i have seen in burgundy and gold. Portis was perhaps the quickest, initially, priorto the onset of injuries. I remember thinking that we had gotten the betterof denver with that trade. He was also a beast of a blocker, even afterthe injuries.

And, as bonus points....between Riggo's infamous drinking habits (hey, loosen up Sandy baby), and the eccentricity of Portis....there would have been an endless source of conversation material.

Archived